Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac newbie - G3 questions

Mac newbie - G3 questions
kinik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2005, 12:21 AM

Hi everyone, im a newbie to the mac world. i have few questions regarding to my imac G3 233ghz, if anyone could help would be great.
I will have my imac in a couple of weeks, its a lime green 233 G3 . not sure about HDD and ram. But im planning to get it upgrade with some parts. Have anyone tried the Sonnet Harmoni G3 600Mhz processor upgrade? also i will get 512mb ram (can i get more than that on the board?), a new HDD (are normal IDE HDD work on mac computer?) and finally looking at getting a MCE slot loading CD-RW drive to upgrade my tray loading CD rom.
Im doing all these upgrade becoz i luv the appearance of imac G3.
finally, what OS is best for the upgraded machine? thanks

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2005, 03:38 AM

You're mental.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2005, 03:56 PM

I believe you may be mistaken in regards to the processor speed and the lime green colour you mentioned. The original, tray-loading iMacs (Revision A and B) had a 233mhz G3, but were bondi blue. The revisions C and D came in 5 different colours, one of them being lime green, but had 266mhz G3s.

Your options in upgrading it can be different depending on which revision it is. But...

The exact amount a Rev. A-D iMac can be upgraded varies from unit to unit. We have field reports of some models accepting 256 MB modules in both memory socket and reaching 512 MB -- and other reports of early iMacs that won't work at all with 256 MB modules. There appears to be no way to know in advance whether a particular iMac will work with a certain sized memory module.
--- from LowEndMac.com

Install as much memory as possible!

I would also suggest buying a 4mb video memory upgrade from eBay. I recently recieved one I bought for my Beige G3, and it was pretty cheap: $4 ending price plus $4 shipping. Search results for "iMac VRAM"
DBGFHRGL!

kinik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2005, 03:01 AM

thanks psychonaut, i just discover that its a imac G3 400mhz green slot load DVD rom machine, came with a 13gb hdd and 256mb ram. will you know much about this machine? is VRAM required for this machine? and about the ram capacity, i hope it can handle up to 1gb ram.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2005, 04:48 AM

Hi Kinik,
I have one of those machines (which I am about ot sell - anyone interested in London/SE UK???). It has worked really well for me since new - I really liked it - I upgraded when I wanted to do more processor intensive stuff.
Yes it will handle 1GB, try 2x 512MB PC100/PC133 DIMMs. It has 8MB VRAM but that is not (AFAIK) expandable. It is also fairly easy to upgrade the HD, but don't bother putting in a drive over 137GB (IIRC) as it is unable to address anything larger - I had a 120GB 7200rpm drive for several years (now in a firewire case) which worked reall well.

HTH

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 05:31 AM

I have one of these iMacs in the Grape Color. It is far more capable than the original iMac. It can even drive a second display. Download a copy of SwitchResX and you won't be stuck with mirroring the internal display. I would also recommend maxing the RAM, I buy mine from Datamem. I've been buying memory from them since 1997 and have only had one bad module which they immediately replaced, with no hassle. MCE even sells a DVD recorder upgrade for this model. The integrated video card has 8MB of VRAM and can't be upgraded. The good news is that this model has 2 built-in firewire ports in addition to two USB 1.1 ports. It also has built-in ethernet and WIFI capability. Hope this info helps, welcome to the Mac world!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Forum Links
Forum Rules