Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adium question

Adium question
warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2005, 09:11 PM

I've seen some screenshots with adium, using the trick to make the background the same as your desktop so it looks transparent. The space i keep adium in is white, and i made the background white, but it still has the shadow in the back. Is there an os system preference to exclude adium from shadows; or is it a certain adium theme? Something else?
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2005, 10:18 PM

years ago there was a haxie that removed drop shadows. Not sure if that kind of a thing is still kicking around though.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

mchladek
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 10:19 PM

If you're talking about the contact list, in Adium go to Preferences->Advanced->Contact List. Under "Appearances" uncheck the box next to "Show window shadow." That should do it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2005, 10:46 PM

Why are you making it fake transparent when you could just make it actually transparent in the prefs?

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2005, 06:11 PM

Yea but if you just make it transparent you still see the drop shadow...but mchladek's method is what I was talking about.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2005, 06:38 PM

The window shadow is completely orthogonal to what you were talking about. You made it fake transparent instead of actually transparent. That's what I don't get.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2005, 08:17 PM

I dont need the list to be transparent because i dont keep it on top of everything else, I wanted the list to blend in with the wallpaper I had, but it couldn't since the drop shadow was on and it would outline the list even when the backgrounds (both white) were matching. In order to eliminate this problem, I wanted to remove the shadow, which I did.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
Why are you making it fake transparent when you could just make it actually transparent in the prefs?
Thought it was there once upon a time. Been ages since I've setup my look and they changed everything around on me.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2005, 11:33 PM

They've changed it so you can't make anything less than 5% opacity. Apparently some people were having issues with mouse clicks going through the list and switching focus to the Desktop.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Thinine
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2005, 11:43 PM

Opacity shouldn't affect click through. Make a Terminal window completely transparent and you can still click on it.

jay3ld
Senior User
Aug 27, 2005, 12:18 AM

srry to intrude in on this post but i am a new user at Adium and love it
but today somebody added me to there list and was able to talk to me for like 3 mins before adium told me they added me...
now back on msn messenger i had the option of blocking anyone who wasnt in my contact list.
this doesnt seem to be here for adium or am i just missing something???
and i have yahoo account i also sign on (using aim) and it was using a different group name than my msn one. but i moved it to the one on my msn group and all is fine. if i log out and in it goes back to the other group instead of staying no mater what i do. drag and drop or get info on them and change there group... nothing

btw adium is really nice program

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by jay3ld
now back on msn messenger i had the option of blocking anyone who wasnt in my contact list.
this doesnt seem to be here for adium or am i just missing something???
)
This is likely to be included in version 0.9

jay3ld
Senior User
Aug 27, 2005, 12:58 AM

ahhh good to know im not blind and thats its in the near future (0.8.4 only 6 more )

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Opacity shouldn't affect click through. Make a Terminal window completely transparent and you can still click on it.
You're right, it shouldn't. But apparently, for some people, it was. I've never had a problem with Adium or other apps using extremely low opacities, which is why I still don't think that the opacity was real problem, but maybe something fishy in their code.

(Adium rocks.)

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by juanvaldes
years ago there was a haxie that removed drop shadows. Not sure if that kind of a thing is still kicking around though.
That's now built into WindowShade, but the Shadow Killer App is still on unsanity's site under the freebie category.

Forum Links
Forum Rules