Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > You can put a Mac on the Internet?????

You can put a Mac on the Internet?????
nickw311
Senior User
Aug 1, 2006, 11:33 AM

I do tech support for an internet service provider and I am helping a guy set up his new Dell... Right now it is not working well at all and I commented that "thats what you get with Microsoft"

He then asked me what I use and I explained that I use a Mac, his response immediately was "You can put a Mac on the internet!?!?!"

Ahh I love it, what morons...
27" iMac C2D

davoomac
Aug 1, 2006, 11:35 AM

ahahah! man that's classic. Gotta love it!
13" Macbook-ipad 64GB WIFI-ipod nano 8GB

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 11:37 AM

Wow... seriously? Where do these people pick these things up?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ort888
Addicted to MacNN

They got the internet on computers now?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!

You mean "You can put a Mac on Internet"

"Hello, what have we here?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 11:38 AM

Heck, they've even got snakes on a plane now.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Aug 1, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Heck, they've even got snakes on a plane now.
hahaha nice
27" iMac C2D

jedi2187
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 11:43 AM

Internet? You mean, like in 'Tron'?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311
I do tech support for an internet service provider and I am helping a guy set up his new Dell... Right now it is not working well at all and I commented that "thats what you get with Microsoft"

He then asked me what I use and I explained that I use a Mac, his response immediately was "You can put a Mac on the internet!?!?!"

I now get just the opposite from my friends.

Someone will say "WOW, that's a cool design, how did you do it!" and another person will say "oh, he has a Mac" and the conversation stops there. Like my Mac did everything and I just told it what I wanted.

I also joke around with them about AMAZING capabilities. I'll sit down to their computers and say "you still use a keyboard?" they will undoubtedly say "yes"... I in turn roll my eyes and start typing while grumbling "how archaic."

davoomac
Aug 1, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh

Someone will say "WOW, that's a cool design, how did you do it!" and another person will say "oh, he has a Mac" and the conversation stops there. Like my Mac did everything and I just told it what I wanted.

I also joke around with them about AMAZING capabilities. I'll sit down to their computers and say "you still use a keyboard?" they will undoubtedly say "yes"... I in turn roll my eyes and start typing while grumbling "how archaic."

ROFL!

Expose by itself is reason enough for some of my friends to drool over my mac.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 12:16 PM

Macs won't work on the Internet unless you get a special adaptor, though, since Macs use a different size tube to connect than PC's....

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2006, 12:22 PM

What was your response to that? I just wouldn't know what to say, I'd either laugh so much until I died or hang up.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
Macs won't work on the Internet unless you get a special adaptor, though, since Macs use a different size tube to connect than PC's....

No no no, Macs don't have floppies anymore. The internet comes on a floppy, so no mac user can use the internet anymore.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 01:21 PM

No no, Microsoft runs the Internet, and Macs aren't made by Microsoft, so they are incompatible with the Internet.

...wait, you can print from a Mac? On the printer we already have? No way.

(This was the actual argument, almost verbatim, that my dad made when I suggested he buy my little sister a Mac.)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 01:58 PM

Well, Microsoft invented the GUI and the mouse, according to many people I talk to around here. And they do actually seemed surprised when I tell them, yes you can run Office on a Mac. Then come the games argument.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 02:00 PM

Did you know that MAC makes Ipod?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 02:07 PM

No, no, no.

You have to look at the computer and talk to it. "Computer... computer..." Then when it doesn't respond, pick up the mouse and try talking into it. Then when your friends say "Just use the keyboard," say "Keyboard. How quaint." Crack your wrists, and then start typing.

A la Scotty at an original Macintosh in Star Trek IV.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan

Dude! Microsoft makes the iPod. They just let Apple put its logo on it. And Creative invneted the method of selecting music on an mp3 player.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Aug 1, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
Dude! Microsoft makes the iPod. They just let Apple put its logo on it. And Creative invneted the method of selecting music on an mp3 player.
Creative invented menus and highlighting menu items and all that!

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 02:49 PM

He had to be screwing with you

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 02:49 PM

I actually got the Scotty reference.
Chuck
___

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 02:54 PM

You're not the only one.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 02:54 PM

I don't think people appreciate the classics anymore. But the real line I think was "How quaint."

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
No no, Microsoft runs the Internet, and Macs aren't made by Microsoft, so they are incompatible with the Internet.

...wait, you can print from a Mac? On the printer we already have? No way.

(This was the actual argument, almost verbatim, that my dad made when I suggested he buy my little sister a Mac.)
My friend who is a database analyst, very technical and should know better commented the other day that my MBP was good little other than an overpriced coffee shop fashion statement. He said this in all seriousness. He doesn't believe it can run windows--even though I have it loaded on, or that the specs compare with even low end PCs. Errrrrr. Of course he comes over every Sunday night to play Civ 4 on it with me.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
I HATE you.

(they make the I-book and I-mac too)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
That's only because Microsoft owns Apple. How many times have I heard that?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2006, 06:25 PM

The internets is a series of tubes, not a dump truck. That's why Macs can't send internets.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

davoomac
Aug 1, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
The internets is a series of tubes, not a dump truck. That's why Macs can't send internets.

V
rofl! i think i'd have to agree with this

brassplayersrockĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 06:43 PM

i heard the internet was in a small small room someplace monitored by one or two people with super high end cant kill us or the world will go to hell security clarance?

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
No, no, no.

You have to look at the computer and talk to it. "Computer... computer..." Then when it doesn't respond, pick up the mouse and try talking into it. Then when your friends say "Just use the keyboard," say "Keyboard. How quaint." Crack your wrists, and then start typing.

A la Scotty at an original Macintosh in Star Trek IV.

Actually, they said, "here use this", and passed him the mouse. He then picked up the mouse and used it like a microphone, "computer, computer..."

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 1, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Creative invented menus and highlighting menu items and all that!
AHAHhahahaha

There are some people in THIS VERY FORUM that has said that.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Wow... seriously? Where do these people pick these things up?
The school system
Signature depreciated.

brassplayersrockĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
The school system
****. i knew i was getting into the wrong profession

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
****. i knew i was getting into the wrong profession
Signature depreciated.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 12:12 AM

My mom was asking someone from the company she works for selling cosmetics, how to get onto this NetMeeting software for something they had the option of doing. The woman kept telling my mom to find the start button, my mom said she didn't have a start button, no no no you do have a start button... "David..."
I tried to explain to the woman on the other end that my mom wasn't running Windows... sooo... painful.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 01:43 AM

The correct response should have been:

"Yes, but only with Web 2.0"

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo

V
Macs are dump trucks?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 02:50 AM

Actually, Apple is aware of the problem, and will have their own internet solution up for sale (subscription-only) by Q2 2007.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 07:59 AM

I have converted two people to the Mac just by fast-user switching. Bam. Sold.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 08:34 AM

Hasn't that dude seen the new Apple ads? Not only can you put a Mac on the internet... it will also never crash, never catch a virus, and you can use for FUN stuff like videos and pictures as opposed to PCs which you can only use for BORING stuff like spreadsheets and productivity.

davoomac
Aug 2, 2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by chris v

NIce!
After showing him Expose and fast user switching, I also got my friend to buy a macbook pro.
I think when I asked my computer to "tell me a joke", that sealed the deal

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by chris v

It's funny how people can be swayed by these sorts of bells and whistles.

In a way, I kind of think that we are worse off as a society having made computers more toy-like. There are simply too many idoitic people doing idiotic things with their computers, not prepared for any sort of responsibility, and/or putting too much power in the hands of users who, in a perfect world, would need a license to operate their computers

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 10:34 AM

Years ago, I worked at OfficeMax in the electronics department - meaning I sold computers. This was 1995, the year (obviously) Windows 95 was released.

We had a selection of HP, Compaq, IBM (some with OS/2 instead of Windows), Packard-Bell and Apple computers. The Macs were: Performa 61xx series, PowerBook 520 and 540 (I think.)

I had on my badge "Dave - The Mac Guy" and was pretty severely persecuted for being such. Even though it would blow away my coworkers when I'd do something simple like connecting the Performas at one end of the row with the PowerBooks at the other end and exchanging information. Networking. How new!

One guy (the manager of the department), when he wasn't taking smoke breaks, was walking the aisle playing solitaire on every PC in the place. What work ethic! But I digress...

During that time, I had many, many people tell me that you couldn't get a Mac on the Internet. They also told me that Apple was going out of business (still is, I hear.) But the most shocking thing for me was that they would tell me that not only did Windows come first and the Mac was a copy, but Bill Gates not only "invented" the GUI, he invented the personal computer! One guy was so sure about it that he said Gates built the first one in his garage.

A couple years later, while I was working at Staples doing pretty much the same thing, Steve came back, had the deal with Microsoft with Gates on the Big Brother screen, etc. After that, it's impossible to convince some people that Microsoft doesn't own Apple.

And on top of all that, before any of this, do you know how many times my PC lovin' friends would make fun of Mac users because they were so "stupid" that they had to have their computer say things like, "Do you really want to close this document?" And such. And that Macs made all those silly sounds and noises.

By the time Windows 95 came out, those same friends had noises attached to every single function they could. Click on an icon, it makes a fart noise, etc. And they'd have garish cursors that you wouldn't believe. What a joke.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Macs are dump trucks?
Everything is compatible with dump trucks these days. Even Macs.. except for the earliest models of course.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
It's funny how people can be swayed by these sorts of bells and whistles.

In a way, I kind of think that we are worse off as a society having made computers more toy-like. There are simply too many idoitic people doing idiotic things with their computers, not prepared for any sort of responsibility, and/or putting too much power in the hands of users who, in a perfect world, would need a license to operate their computers

Hey, switching between OS X and Windows (in Parallels) by smacking the MacBook on the side of the screen is SERIOUS stuff! (SmackBook).

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 07:17 PM

Was there really a time when you couldn't actually get a mac online at all? That is to say, a time when machines running Windows whatever were access the 'internet' (not quite the same back then...) and Macs were completely unable to? (Of course there was a time when no desktop computers were getting online...)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2006, 07:42 PM

Macs have had pretty easy access to the Internet since before Windows 95 came out, as I recall.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Aug 2, 2006 at 07:48 PM. )
Chuck
___

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 08:12 PM

Working at BB was fun. I'd have people tell me Macs couldn't do something. Then I'd turn around and do it. Costumers always thought the AirPort express was amazing.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Was there really a time when you couldn't actually get a mac online at all? That is to say, a time when machines running Windows whatever were access the 'internet' (not quite the same back then...) and Macs were completely unable to? (Of course there was a time when no desktop computers were getting online...)
I seem to remember using a special "MacTCP" control panel in System 7. I don't remember whether that was there under System 6. And IIRC, early Windows machines needed winsock installed to do networking properly.

But back then, very few computers were connected to the Internet anyway. People ran BBS's, and you used your modem to call into them directly.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
I seem to remember using a special "MacTCP" control panel in System 7. I don't remember whether that was there under System 6..
I remember something like that too. Your ISP would give you a little floppy with some Control Panel to install and Mosaic 1.0 or something of that nature.... All I really remember is being about 10 years old and getting online for the first time with a IIvx running System 7 and a used 2600 baud modem (trust me I upgraded to 28.8 ASAP... or maybe 14.4 was the fastest at the time, hmm). But the point is it was easy enough for a 10-or-so-year-old to get online on a Mac.

I don't know where the "Macs can't get on 'the' internet" myth came from but most of the people I knew in elementary and high school criticized Macs based on comparisons between their current PC and the Mac Classic or PowerBook 100 they used in 3rd grade.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Aug 2, 2006 at 09:59 PM. )
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules