Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Modem/Startup Disk problems

Modem/Startup Disk problems
FastAMX79
Sep 23, 2000, 07:36 PM

Hi, i have 2 questions so i'll kill two birds w/ one stone...
1) Anyone able to connect to an ISP w/ OSX? I imported all my information and it will not even do anything with my modem. Its an older USR Voice 56K modem hooked up to a serial to USB converter. I havnet found a way for X to see the modem.

2) I have been unable to get OS X to load the startup disk program to switch drives back to OS 9 (had to use installer CD) When i click on the icon the window closes. Sometimes i get a message saying it crashed and system was protected by the new memory managment. I ran disk first aid and it found a problem w/ the drive w/ X but when i try to fix it my system hangs. I've also tried holding down option key and all it does is keep playing the start up chimes. Its a B&W 400 w/ DVD

Other than that i was playing with X and i love it! At first it was strange but its much easier to use then os 9

thanks for your help!!
-Chris
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM

JL!
Sep 23, 2000, 11:36 PM

Fast,

I can't connect to my ISP either. I'm just using the included PPP Connect app, and it dials the modem correctly, and somehow does some sort of sending and receiving periodically. It even comes up with an IP address, but sometimes the IP isn't in the normal range of IPs from this paricular ISP. Strange... I'm going to keep working on it. And maybe tell Apple if I'm sure it's not my fault.

JL!
If senility were a race, I would win.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2000, 05:50 AM

There's lots of threads on connecting to ISPs in the support forum. Check over there.

I'm going to move this over to the Mac OS X Support forum. Click through to find your post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules