Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Upcoming iPhone internationalization method will require your CPU for weeks on end...

Upcoming iPhone internationalization method will require your CPU for weeks on end...
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 11:29 AM

iPhone 4 Unlock With Brute Force Cracking Of 40 Bit NCK Code?

I would very much like to travel internationally with an iPhone. So, this unlock method is worth it.
However, it doesn't say how many MIPS you need to supply, for how long exactly. It would also tether the iHardware for that amount of time.

Also, the 5th iPhone will probably be announced before the unlocking software gets developed, with the number of unlocking combinations squared.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2011, 11:40 AM

Honestly, if it's that important, just buy one abroad, unlocked.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 11:44 AM

I thought Canadian iPhones were legitimately unlocked, until I learnt that they irreversively lock themselves to the first carrier they connect to.
Italian iPhone then?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2011, 12:09 PM

From the Canadian Apple site.

---

Can I use my iPhone outside my home country?
Yes. iPhone is enabled to work on carrier networks using GSM around the world. Because the iPhone sold by the Apple Online Store is commitment-free, you can purchase a SIM or micro-SIM card and service from a local carrier at your destination. Or check with your home carrier regarding international roaming charges.

---

So you are suggesting that if you bought a Canadian iPhone and tried it first on Orange, it would be locked to Orange? That doesn't make sense but I have no experience with this. I'll ask my buddies who do business overseas.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 12:26 PM

I've read about that lockup happening, but I can't find the source.
What I can find, though, is that Canadian iPhones are not the utopia once believed they were. Most of them are not unlocked.
Locked Fido phone - Can I use this on the Rogers network? Same mother company right?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2011, 12:48 PM

You can't use any Fido phone on Rogers and vice versa, unless you buy an unlocked phone. It's always been that way.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 01:29 PM

So, you go to an Apple store in Montreal and buy an unlocked iP5 for $700 or whatever?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
So, you go to an Apple store in Montreal and buy an unlocked iP5 for $700 or whatever?
Yes. A friend of mine bought an iPhone 4 from the Apple Store in Canada and uses the phone in China. However, I don't know if the phone works now on Rogers in Canada because he keeps a second phone for Rogers. (He keeps two phones from both countries active with him all the time, so he doesn't miss phone calls or have the need to swap SIMs.)

I personally don't care and have a locked Fido iPhone 4. I've been on Fido since the late 1990s anyway. And for the rare times I go overseas I just use my Fido phone, but if necessary, I do have some older unlocked Sony GSM phones I could use with an overseas SIM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules