Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Performa online?

Performa online?
rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2000, 10:49 PM

Need some help. I have a Performa 6116CD that belongs to my brother. He wants to get online with it. I am currently online using an iMac and have his Performa here working on it. It has a external 56k modem. I would like to know where a good place would be to start. It has nothing on it for the internet. It is using OS 7.5.1.

Thanks, rhino_g3

Thank you for your advice.

[This message has been edited by rhino_g3 (edited 05-30-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 30, 2000, 12:26 AM

first, update it free to 7.5.5, download available at Apple, see below URL's... that should give you all the internet software you need to connect to the net... use iCab 2.0 or Explorer 4.51(no longer available for download at MS site) or Navigator 4.08 for a browser and whatever email app you want, i'd suggest Eudora 3.1.3 freeware

http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n10999

http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n10561

www.icab.de

http://home.netscape.com/download/ar...rchive40x.html

http://www.eudora.com/eudoralight/eudoralight.html

just suggestions

hmm, just thought about how you get those files onto his old Mac, it has AAUI-15 ethernet (kind of a bummer) so that is not an easy option for file transfer from your iMac, maybe you have a USB floppy drive and can do something with that that will work for the Apple 7.5.3 update (named System 7.5 Update 2.0) and the 7.5.5 update because you can download them in floppy-sized chunks... but by using stuffit you can split large files (like Netscape, Eudora) to floppy-sized chunks

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 05-30-2000).]

Idler
May 30, 2000, 01:05 AM

If you want to find out more about this Mac, go to http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ma_6116cd.html

Although you can run System 7.6.1 and earlier on this Mac, if you can get Mac OS 8.0 or 8.1 to use on this Mac, it will be good because OS 8 has better Open Transport software.

To create a dial-up internet connection, FreePPP is quite a good software to use. Go to http://www.versiontracker.com/ to search for FreePPP.

The Mac OS 8 CD has web browsers on it that you can use on the Mac you have.

[This message has been edited by Idler (edited 05-30-2000).]

rhino_g3  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2000, 06:24 PM

Thank you very much for the advice that will help me very much when I figure out how to get this stuff onto the performa. I am going to try to get an external floppy drive possibly.

Thanks again,
rhino_g3

rhino_g3  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2000, 09:55 PM

Thank you for your advice.

rhino_g3  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2000, 10:02 PM

Thank you for you help.

rhino_g3  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2000, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by rhino_g3:
Need some help. I have a Performa 6116CD that belongs to my brother. He wants to get online with it. I am currently online using an iMac and have his Performa here working on it. It has a external 56k modem. I would like to know where a good place would be to start. It has nothing on it for the internet. It is using OS 7.5.1.

Thank you for your advice!

Thanks, rhino_g3

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 30, 2000, 11:26 PM

is he trying to say thanks or what? it is not exactly clear...

but seriously, Idler is right... i was trying to give you a free software path as far as you could go, which is 7.5.5 i believe... still have to pay for 7.6 (though 7.6.1 update is free it requires 7.6 to be installed already) and higher... you might be best off with 8.1, maybe 7.6.1 some would say

i do strongly recommend the iCab browser, though it is 'preview release beta software' it is quite good and is very stable

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2000, 07:24 PM

And for those file tranfser, auii-10base ethernet transcivers are only $15 and less on eBay

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2000, 05:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idler:
If you want to find out more about this Mac, go to [Although you can run System 7.6.1 and earlier on this Mac, if you can get Mac OS 8.0 or 8.1 to use on this Mac, it will be good because OS 8 has better Open Transport software.

To create a dial-up internet connection, FreePPP is quite a good software to use.

If you have OS 8 (or OS 7.5.5 for that matter) you can use OT PPP which I have found to be better than FreePPP, but its your call.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

jeffreyloaf
Jun 5, 2000, 07:22 PM

I.E. 4.5 or close to it ; should be on the disk that comes with your imac. Just use your disk and click on the install and do a custom install. OS 9 disk even has it, but not 4.5.1. You should look at everything on the disk and gather a list of what you want to/need to install and post back here with question for knowledgable help.

I have used the disk that came with my G3 to upgrade my 6320 to the present. It will only install what needs to work. My 6320 now runs OS 9. and IE 5 / outlook 5

Edit-- IE 4.5 had problems so try to find 4.5.1. I have the update here somewhere in my pile of stuff. If you know anybody that gets MacAddict magazine it's on one of the disks; I'll look for it if you need it.

[This message has been edited by jeffreyloaf (edited 06-05-2000).]
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

rhino_g3  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2000, 10:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for there advice. The project is finished and all your advice has helped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules