Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Al Gore TV will present news as "pods"

Al Gore TV will present news as "pods"
micklb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 06:36 AM

Where is Al going with this?

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 07:52 AM

Pod or PUD??

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by micklb
Where is Al going with this?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 03:22 PM

He's trying too hard to appeal to the 18 to 34 crowd.

Based on the promotional footage I've seen, with its weird camera angles and constantly moving cameras, it looks more like it will appeal to high school students.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 03:57 PM

cool i have been looking for something to help me fall asleep at night - thanks AL!

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Right. Next thing you know is he claims this invention, too !

-t

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 04:58 PM

Me cries at lies

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 05:21 PM

Al Gore invented threads about him on MacNN.

MacIntel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2005, 06:17 AM

I've always suspected Al Gore was a pod person.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 06:28 AM

Wow, what a bunch of bushies.

You all SUCK.
Aloha

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 07:09 AM

hey, we can hate Gore without liking Bush! They are different brands of idiots.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 3, 2005, 10:57 AM

I like Al Gore. Does that make you feel better at night?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 3, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Link
Wow, what a bunch of bushies.

You all SUCK.
Not as much as you pod people.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 07:04 PM

It seems like the most popular reason to dislike Al Gore is for him allegedly saying that he invented the internet.

Guess what? He didn't say that!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 07:07 PM

I think Current is a *very* cool idea. TV, by the people, for the people... at least in theory.

Boing Boing TV... mmmmm (I'm sure Current won't be as racy though)

It will be interesting to see if Current will cash in on some of the successes of Jon Stewart as an alternative to mainstream media...

http://current.tv/

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 07:24 PM

For those who have moved beyond their knee-jerk reactions:

I haven't had time to go through these yet, but let me know what you think of some of these segments:

http://current.tv/featured/

Sounds like something intelligent, at long last!! Beats Fear Factor.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 08:41 PM

Sounds like fun to watch. We should submit the winning MacNN film fest videos to them
Aloha

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 09:21 PM

who is al gore

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
who is al gore
Heh, my thoughts exactly…

Is news concerning Al Whore really news at all?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

wvx
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2005, 09:33 PM

Thank you Al Gore, finally a seven minute segment news channel that is geared to my mid twenties attention spa.... uh... click...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 09:38 PM

Why are you guys so negative about this?

Really... what am I missing? How is this designed for low attention spans? Why do you discount this idea just because Al Gore is behind it?

I don't know a whole lot about Current, maybe I'm missing something significant that would justify your collective attitudes?

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 09:50 PM

besson, have you ever heard the words "Tipper Gore" before?

And if you have. What is she known for?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
besson, have you ever heard the words "Tipper Gore" before?

And if you have. What is she known for?
Her Wikipedia entry indicates that she is the subject of "being white" jokes. I moved to this country near the tail end of Clinton's presidency, so I don't know a whole lot about the Gores. Why? Care to enlighten?

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 10:24 PM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 10:32 PM

Okay, pandering to special interest groups... how is this different than Hillary Clinton and Grand Theft Auto, and the Republican party with "Intelligent Design" and the whole Christian Coalition thing?

How is this different than what any other politician/wife of a politician has done?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 10:37 PM

Okay, pandering to special interest groups... how is this different than Hillary Clinton and Grand Theft Auto, and the Republican party with "Intelligent Design" and the whole Christian Coalition thing?

How is this different than what any other politician/wife of a politician has done?

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
It seems like the most popular reason to dislike Al Gore is for him allegedly saying that he invented the internet.

Guess what? He didn't say that!

Yeah, you're right, he merely said that he created it, and guess what, he's still an asshat.

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" Gore said when asked to cite accomplishments that separate him from another Democratic presidential hopeful, former Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey, during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN on March 9, 1999.

No Al Gore "pods" will ever infect my iPod.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Yeah, you're right, he merely said that he created it, and guess what, he's still an asshat.

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" Gore said when asked to cite accomplishments that separate him from another Democratic presidential hopeful, former Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey, during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN on March 9, 1999.

No Al Gore "pods" will ever infect my iPod.

He was a part of an important bill involving the internet. If he did actually say what you quoted, does that make Bush an asshat too? He screws up his speech and says stuff that he doesn't exactly mean all the time. Knowing your political leanings, don't you think this is a bit of a double standard?

We really need some quality media being driven by relatively independent sources. I welcome Current with open arms. You can continue to load up on the usual drivel/news infecting our airwaves, I'm anxious for a fresh source of broadcast news.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 4, 2005, 12:06 AM

Okay, pandering to special interest groups... how is this different than Hillary Clinton and Grand Theft Auto,
It's no different.
and the Republican party with "Intelligent Design" and the whole Christian Coalition thing?
Eh, the CC just wants Evolution to be treated as what it is.
What has Bush's wife done?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 12:20 AM

Eh, the CC just wants Evolution to be treated as what it is.
You're skirting my point by picking apart my example. The Republicans cater to Christian interest groups, there is ample evidence of this, no? This is not necessarily partisan criticism either - politicians pander, it's just the way it is. Neither party is infallible.

What has Bush's wife done?
No clue, I don't pay attention to her. Whatever she has done or hasn't done is just as relevant (or irrelevant) as what Tipper Gore has done, no? That is to say, why lump Al Gore into your black list just because you don't like his wife?

The fact that your knee jerk reactions tend towards partisanship are perhaps indicative as to why we need independent news sources that don't simply encourage citizens to cheer for their horse and treat politics as team sports.

Of course, the jury is still out as to how independent Current will prove to be, but the potential is very enticing. I'm sick of the media being controlled by a few mega-corporations, and our viewpoints tainted by the talking points of politicians the media seems so happy to brainlessly regurgitate.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 03:24 AM

No clue, I don't pay attention to her. Whatever she has done or hasn't done is just as relevant (or irrelevant) as what Tipper Gore has done, no? That is to say, why lump Al Gore into your black list just because you don't like his wife?
Please. If Laura Bush was responsible for some puritan censorship campaign that spews itself all over album covers to this day simply because she once got her panties in a wad over a Prince album, we’d never hear the end of it.

"Tipper Stickers" are ironic (and more relevant than what Laura Bush HASN'T done) because the supposed ‘oh-so-open-minded’ Democrats can get their panties in a wad and do ‘overboard lame-ass Puritan’ better than the best of ‘em.

I'm sick of the media being controlled by a few mega-corporations, and our viewpoints tainted by the talking points of politicians...
And the cure for that is a media outlet controlled by …algore??!?

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 4, 2005, 03:46 AM

You're skirting my point by picking apart my example. The Republicans cater to Christian interest groups, there is ample evidence of this, no? This is not necessarily partisan criticism either - politicians pander, it's just the way it is. Neither party is infallible.
What interest group was she catering to?

A group STARTED because of what she was doing.
No clue, I don't pay attention to her. Whatever she has done or hasn't done is just as relevant (or irrelevant) as what Tipper Gore has done, no?
Um you said "How is this different than what any other politician/wife of a politician has done?"
I was showing you how.
That is to say, why lump Al Gore into your black list just because you don't like his wife?
Who said he was on my blacklist?

I said the TV station will probably be lame because more than likely his wife will have influence.
The fact that your knee jerk reactions tend towards partisanship are perhaps indicative as to why we need independent news sources that don't simply encourage citizens to cheer for their horse and treat politics as team sports.
The only person knee-jerking here is you.

This has nothing to do with partisanship. As during the time of this all, I had voted for Clinton.
Of course, the jury is still out as to how independent Current will prove to be, but the potential is very enticing. I'm sick of the media being controlled by a few mega-corporations, and our viewpoints tainted by the talking points of politicians the media seems so happy to brainlessly regurgitate.
It's the Man™! He is holding us down.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 04:26 AM

*sigh* This thread is hopeless now
Aloha

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Link
*sigh* This thread is hopeless now
This thread is about a washed up politician's involvement with something that won't affect most of us one little bit.

It was doomed from the start.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Please. If Laura Bush was responsible for some puritan censorship campaign that spews itself all over album covers to this day simply because she once got her panties in a wad over a Prince album, we’d never hear the end of it.
You'd never hear the end of it from the usual suspects, and apparently we can never hear the end of what Tipper has done from the usual suspects.

I respect (and would probably share, if I knew more about it) your belief of Tipper's project causing undesired results. What I"m struggling with is how this is relevant to Current? Why paint him with the same brush? We don't know (yet) that Current is going to be any more or less censored than any of the other cable channel like HBO.

"Tipper Stickers" are ironic (and more relevant than what Laura Bush HASN'T done) because the supposed ‘oh-so-open-minded’ Democrats can get their panties in a wad and do ‘overboard lame-ass Puritan’ better than the best of ‘em.
This is a needless little cheap shot, and does not further this conversation in any way. There is no need to try to provoke me.

And the cure for that is a media outlet controlled by …algore??!?
Maybe, maybe not.. I'm just suggesting that we wait and see. How is Al Gore more or less capable than any of the current major network owners? I'm not seeing the connection here. Are you suggesting that because Al Gore was the VP, political segments in Current will lean to the left? This has yet to be seen (although, granted, a decent possibility), but if you look at the segments currently online, you'll see that the network is ostensibly non-political in content.

It just sounds like you are mentally pairing Al Gore and TV together, and having irrational knee-jerk reactions. I'm not even arguing with you as much as I'm saying that we give it a chance. It is a very interesting concept.
( Last edited by besson3c; Aug 4, 2005 at 12:58 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
This thread is about a washed up politician's involvement with something that won't affect most of us one little bit.

It was doomed from the start.
Another knee-jerk reaction...

How does anybody know this? Does the premise not sound enticing to you in the slightest, or are you upset just because you are a Republican and Al Gore isn't one of your guys?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 01:04 PM

What interest group was she catering to?

A group STARTED because of what she was doing.

Um you said "How is this different than what any other politician/wife of a politician has done?"
I was showing you how.
Forgot I said anything about Laura Bush. I'm really not interested in picking apart and dissecting my words so that you have a chance to prove me wrong. If you like, I'll admit I was wrong about Laura Bush/Tipper Gore, I was definitely wrong about jumping into debating your feelings about the Gores. I really don't care, she has little to do with my point.

My point is simply: drop your partisan beliefs and give this network a chance. It is a very interesting premise, regardless of who is running it. There is no need to blow it off simply because your horse isn't running it.

If the network does turn out to flop, I'll join you in trashing it. For now, it's too early to tell.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 4, 2005, 01:39 PM

besson, you aren't reading my posts. It's not about PARTISAN beliefs. I don't dislike Gore and his wife just because the are Democrats.

Understand?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 02:03 PM

besson, you aren't reading my posts. It's not about PARTISAN beliefs. I don't dislike Gore and his wife just because the are Democrats.

Understand?
Fair enough, so your main point is that the station will likely be lame because of his wife's influence (whom you dislike)?

If the network turns out to be pretty raw, uncensored, or if the content doens't really warrant sex/violence/swearing, would you be excited by the basic premise of this network?

The segments online suggest more of an educational and informative pull, where sex/violence/swearing may not make several pieces any more authentic. It will be interesting to see how raw the subject matter becomes when the pieces do lend themselves closer towards sex/violence/swearing territory.

That being said, the FCC obviously does have a say as to the content of the major networks before 9:00 (I think), so in a sense many of our programming may already be censored. I won't pursue this line of reasoning though, because admittedly I don't really know enough about the crux of the Tipper thing.

I'm sorry for lumping you into the general reaction in here, which thus far has seemed partisan to me.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 02:56 PM

Another knee-jerk reaction...

How does anybody know this? Does the premise not sound enticing to you in the slightest, or are you upset just because you are a Republican and Al Gore isn't one of your guys?
Where would you get the idea that I am a republican? Do you have to be a republican to dislike a dishonest, sleazy, washed up politician?

Al Whore was not very interesting when he was someone.

He is even less interesting now.

And no, this premise doesn't interest me in the least, really. I promise.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Where would you get the idea that I am a republican? Do you have to be a republican to dislike a dishonest, sleazy, washed up politician?

Al Whore was not very interesting when he was someone.

He is even less interesting now.

And no, this premise doesn't interest me in the least, really. I promise.
For my benefit, as somebody who admittedly hasn't been in the country long enough (or is old enough) to have followed politics since the beginning of Clinton's presidency, would you care to explain to me why you think Al Gore is dishonest, sleazy, and washed up?

I honestly don't know either way.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 04:19 PM

I've been reading more about Tipper Gore censoring music and stuff, and thinking about this.

In way, I think this is a rerun. Back in the day, people were terrified of the effects of comic books on kids and society (today we see them as being pretty tame). Later on, it was TV, etc. etc. There is always that new thing which a certain population is initially scared of. I'm sure that this population has historically crossed both party lines.

In the case of Tipper, her fear was with mysgonistic rap music lyrics and whatnot, if I'm understanding things correctly. Hillary Clinton's beef is with Grand Theft Auto right now.

I'm generally not for demonizing the content creators, so I won't try to defend Tipper. However, I will add to the conversation that this sort of thing is nothing new.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 05:20 PM

Maybe now algore will one day claim: "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating podcasting! And my wife took the initiative in censoring it!"

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 06:03 PM

What I"m struggling with is how this is relevant to Current? Why paint him with the same brush? We don't know (yet) that Current is going to be any more or less censored than any of the other cable channel like HBO.
I think you missed the point. It's just a simple matter of hypocrisy and irony that Gore's wife couldn't deal with the content of and managed to censor someone else's media outlet.
This is a needless little cheap shot, and does not further this conversation in any way. There is no need to try to provoke me.
Perhaps we should have the mods get everyone on the same page by slapping warning lables on posts that could potentially provoke someone in any way?

Maybe, maybe not.. I'm just suggesting that we wait and see. How is Al Gore more or less capable than any of the current major network owners? I'm not seeing the connection here. Are you suggesting that because Al Gore was the VP, political segments in Current will lean to the left? This has yet to be seen (although, granted, a decent possibility), but if you look at the segments currently online, you'll see that the network is ostensibly non-political in content.

It just sounds like you are mentally pairing Al Gore and TV together, and having irrational knee-jerk reactions. I'm not even arguing with you as much as I'm saying that we give it a chance. It is a very interesting concept.
It’s about as interesting a concept as a Karl Rove or Ted Kennedy created network. That is to say- not very. I’d be surprised if anything interesting came out of a network created by as uninteresting, uninspiring a figure as Al Gore, leftwing slant or not. That's my opinion- sure I may be wrong and maybe he'll produce the next CNN. But even Ted Turner, nut though he is, had talent, insight, creativity and personality that Gore doesn't.

Sorry, but I don’t have to give it any chance- it’s on him to make it work, not on anyone else to watch it. It’s called a free market, and he has a huge amount of competition to vie for people’s very limited and already splintered entertainment time. More power to him, just I think he’s an uninteresting, uncreative, ‘fuddy-dud’ and therefore I wouldn’t expect much from any network of his, and the LAST thing I’d expect would be unbiased news. The 'for the people' sloganeering is just campain trail type horse-hockey.

By the way, I’d say the same for about 99.9% of all politicians, regardless of political party. Most of them can make a speech now and then, but they’re virtually always not as clever, witty, knowledgeable, and certainly not as entertaining as they want voters to believe. Running a TV network isn’t the same game as making speeches every now and then for a few votes. You’ve got to have a keen insight into what entertains people- all the other bullcrap (which is most politicians trade on more than anything) goes out the window. The 'polls' in this arena are called ratings and ad revenue, and people vote instantly with thier remotes.

Mainly, I just found it funny the idea of some ‘TV for the people!” nonsense from a guy who is about as ‘stick-in-the-mud-fuddydud-political-establishment’ as it gets. (His censorship poster-woman wife just adds to the irony).

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 12:15 AM

Isn't Gore still on Apple's board of directors?
Are we allowed to make fun of him?

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 5, 2005, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
Isn't Gore still on Apple's board of directors?
Are we allowed to make fun of him?
Why not? I make fun of Steve all the time.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 5, 2005, 12:29 AM

I'm telling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules