Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lost all my data. Great. Most advanced OS.

Lost all my data. Great. Most advanced OS. (Page 3)
yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2002, 09:18 PM

First, any Apple engineer that recommended to initialize the disk at that point should be shot...me thinks you were not talking to an engineer but a newbie tech support person. Bad advice, and now you are suffering. What should have been done at this point was to get DiskWarrior and you would have had your disk back in less than 30 minutes. Once the drive was initialized you lost much of your data, as the listing of all of the files on your drive was wiped when you initialized. You should still be able to recover some of the data with Norton or most of your data by paying a lot of money to Drivesavers. I seriously recommend that you get Diskwarrior (not that it will help you now, but in the future it will save you much pain and is well worth the dollars). Not being able to boot from a CD is weird and suggests a hardware problem. Take it to an authorized repair place and decide how valuable your lost data is to you...pay accordingly. If it is worth a lot, go to drivesavers.

You should re-read the posts and start listening to many of the people posting here, they have given a lot of good advice that you have refused. I understand how mad you are, I made a similar mistake several years ago and did pretty much what you did with great data loss. I now have DiskWarrior and I haven't had a problem since that I could not fix (I have ~5 Mac's at any given time to keep healthy).

Good luck, but don't blame it on Apple the company, blame the tech support who advised you to initialize, if indeed that is what really happened.

Y
Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>

The thing is I didn't format. I booted from OS9 CD and noticed that the HD had not mounted. The dialogue box asked whether to initialise the disk. Now, I and the Apple engineer know that information is normally kept on the disk that is initialised. But in this case the drive appeared as an empty volume.There are guys on this forum who simply do not want to understand that.

So we then attempted a recovery and basically the system started to fall apart, hard drive, CDs and so on. Now the system is unusable. It's three weeks old. I didn't push the machine in any way. It's simply a faulty product. I don't know whether hardware or software was too blame because its simply not clear.</STRONG>

yukon
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2002, 09:21 PM

holy crap, I stopped reading this thread after a while.

anyway. I agree that OS X definitly needs work, and it is probably to blame for the corruption. Data loss shouldn't happen. Never seen it in OS9 really, just with failing drives.

Of course, you didn't really try to get your data back. We all know the OS doesn't come with the best recovery utilities. DiskWarrior, Techtool, and norton ( ) would probably have fixed it. DiskWarrior has the best track record with my computers - rarely failed.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

AirSluf
Senior User
Mar 22, 2002, 09:31 PM

( Last edited by AirSluf; Nov 9, 2004 at 01:40 AM. )

eno
Banned
Mar 22, 2002, 09:35 PM

<STRONG>They said my problem probably came from installing too many freeware and shareware programs which caused a corruption somewhere. So to all you Version Tracker addicts - careful. Its not really the most advanced OS.</STRONG>
Sigh... Surely the most paranoid, gullible and IDIOTIC comment I've ever heard on these forums. And THAT'S saying something!

I'm glad you lost all your data. It probably spared us from being exposed to one of your l337 "ThEmEz".

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2002, 10:08 PM

I then went back to a homebuilt Athlon for a few months. No problems. A dream machine.
Maybe you should buy another? No, really, please. You'd be happier and all of us would be happier not having to listen to your weekly complaints.

This thread is 3 pages long now, and I still don't know what the point of it is. KellyHogan complains, people try to help, KellyHogan complains more, people flame KellyHogan, KellyHogan flames back, more people try to help, KellyHogan complains more. Round and round we go.

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2002, 10:49 PM

wow this thread is long, started reading it then jumped up to reply:

1) this exact thing happened to me in OS 9 about 3 years ago - I 'panicked' because I couldn't mount my partition - !! 1 good reason to have partitions so I can't remember exactly what or how I got it to run but Disk Warrior saved the day.

2) all computers crash, period. live and learn. I did, am every day I am learning something new. especially with computers I think it's one way to work as a designer - thru trial and error.

3) my girlfriend's sister lost all her data because of one of those infamous virii THAT ONLY AFFECT WINDOWS sent thru an e-mail. thank goodness those don't affect Macintosh huh?

4) On Sex And ThE City recently Carry lost all her data on her Macintosh. lol it was soo funny, even Miranda said, "didn't you back up" as did the guy at the Apple Sto, then Carry ranted, "how the hell does everyone in the World know about this 'backing up' thing when never not once has anyone ever mentioned it to me ROTFL!. Oh well guess what, she went out and bought a Zip Drive.

now you'll feel more experienced, you no not to hastily hit the Initialize button - you'll be able to pass on your wise knowledge to your children and pupils,,, 'one day I lost all my data and now you must back up kids, because it's very important if you don't want to go thru what I had to'

btw what the hell is packet support on CDRWs?? I have an Iomega Predator [Firewire]. does mine support packet whatever it is and if so how do I use it?
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2002, 11:43 PM

initializing a drive will tend to zero all data
I came in late to this thread and have many post to read yet but the above is
incorrect. A low level format will do that but an initialize only wipes the directory
data and is also why it is so fast.

This person can get back ALL the data if they do not overwrite that data after the
initialize.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2002, 12:02 AM

As for other utils, again you guys are not reading. I HAD ONE SINGLE IMPORTANT FILE. I am not going to spend money on utils when I already pay for expensive Macs.

huh? then why the heck didn't you take few seconds to back that ONE SINGLE IMPORTANT FILE up?

drag the file to another drive or send it over LAN to another box or burn it into a CD-R.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2002, 12:11 AM

I just noticed you are the same person bitching and moaning about "this and that" in the thread that is supposed to be about the PPP hang and possible fix.

You're impossible, and blame anyone and anything for your problems, except yourself.

It's also obvious that you have done more to tweak the system than you admit.

Go away. We can't help those who won't help themselves.

Even the most advanced OS can't help the least advanced human.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2002, 12:28 AM

Now, I and the Apple engineer know that information is normally kept on the disk that is initialized.
Files themselves are always left alone. The directory data and volume headers
etc... is what is changed.

now a low level zero out format is another story and of course after a format
you still have to initialize the disk.

But in this case the drive appeared as an empty volume.
not in your case. in all cases. High level apps like the finder etc... will show no files because you initialized the HD. Those apps will NEVER show files because
they use the directory data to find those files.

The files are still there but you need a low level app like norton to go in and NOT
use the directory data but by pass it and find files on its own.

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: Groovy ]

Cipher13
Mar 23, 2002, 12:35 AM

DiskWarrior would have saved you.

Don't blame OSX for this - that isn't where the fault lies. It just "happens". On any computer system.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Mar 23, 2002, 02:19 AM

Anyone who thinks it is my fault that the DP/PPP bug exists is a ****ing idiot wjo has decided to jump on a bandwagon to nowhere. Anyone who thinks it is my fault that the Speedtouch USB drivers are shite needs to go back to school on Monday morning.

Also, initialising a disc doesnt always wipe the directory. Case in point, the Dual Ghz PM I had over a month ago. This had two HDs. One of them did not show up under OS9 so I initialised it and all the data was there in tact.

Anyone who thinks I should feel insecure about the stability of a three week old computer and back up A SINGLE FILE onto a CD everyday is mad. If there was proper CDRW I would have done so, but you try sticking in a CD that then mounts several CD sessions onto the desktop and tell everyone honestly that it is a good method of backing up,

Then there are those who say 'back up into another drive'. Great. I didn't know I had to buy multiple drives for a consumer all in one computer that should not fall over after three weeks.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2002, 02:33 AM

<STRONG>Anyone who thinks it is my fault that the DP/PPP bug exists is a ****ing idiot wjo has decided to jump on a bandwagon to nowhere. Anyone who thinks it is my fault that the Speedtouch USB drivers are shite needs to go back to school on Monday morning.</STRONG>
What's the DP/PPP bug?

(I assume this part of your response is directed at the person who said he was sick of your complaining over the last few weeks, right? otherwise I have know idea where it came from.)

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2002, 03:12 AM

<STRONG>Anyone who thinks it is my fault that the DP/PPP bug exists is a ****ing idiot wjo has decided to jump on a bandwagon to nowhere. Anyone who thinks it is my fault that the Speedtouch USB drivers are shite needs to go back to school on Monday morning.</STRONG>
Of course these things aren't your fault. You're unlucky to have been stuck with a bad bug , and drivers from various 3rd parties are a crap shoot. case in point, I have m-audio/midiman equipment, and they had drivers out last fall. Other audio equipment is just now getting supported. Who knows why? (Clearly USB is a nasty thing under OS X; I just think it's nasty in general. If I could use something else for MIDI I would.)

<STRONG>Also, initialising a disc doesnt always wipe the directory. Case in point, the Dual Ghz PM I had over a month ago. This had two HDs. One of them did not show up under OS9 so I initialised it and all the data was there in tact.</STRONG>
I'll be interested to hear from others, or yourself, what you could have experienced here, because in my ... gawd, it's about 17 years now, of working on the Macintosh, initialize has always meant erasing the directory, resulting in an empty volume. this would be countless floppies, SCSI drives, IDE drives internal and firewire, you name it.

<STRONG>Anyone who thinks I should feel insecure about the stability of a three week old computer and back up A SINGLE FILE onto a CD everyday is mad. If there was proper CDRW I would have done so, but you try sticking in a CD that then mounts several CD sessions onto the desktop and tell everyone honestly that it is a good method of backing up,

Then there are those who say 'back up into another drive'. Great. I didn't know I had to buy multiple drives for a consumer all in one computer that should not fall over after three weeks.</STRONG>
I don't know, I always feel most vulnerable in the first couple of weeks of ownership, or after a major hardware change. Just because it's a "consumer all in one" doesn't mean it's not a "computer". Look, I'm willing to bet everyone here has been caught without a backup, at some point in their lives. So we have sympathy.

But that's life with computers. No backup, no backup. If you have the failsafe filesystem/computer/network, please let me know, I'll have two. In the meantime, quit barking that OS X ate your homework when you refuse to even consider the freely given advice of people who don't have to be sitting here trying to help you.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 23, 2002, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by macaddled:
<STRONG>

But that's life with computers. No backup, no backup. If you have the failsafe filesystem/computer/network, please let me know, I'll have two. In the meantime, quit barking that OS X ate your homework when you refuse to even consider the freely given advice of people who don't have to be sitting here trying to help you.</STRONG>
Of course in a Power Mac or PC I have always had two HDs. One for backing up. But that isn't something that people can do with an iMac unless one invests in external HDs. But I really have no need for such a thing.

I always have a folder on my HD called 'Back Up in which apps and docs go into. Once that folder gets big enough I copy it to CD. Amazingly this was going to be backed up this weekend.

Regarding initialising, I had two HDs in my Power Mac. One was called HAL and the other Dunkin Drive. The latter for back ups. Both appeared fine under OSX but booting into OS9 I saw that Dunkin Drive had nto mounted. I used the utils to initialise it and it did so with all the data in tact except that under OS9 the volume name came up as untitled. Surely others have seen this behavior?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2002, 03:46 AM

Wow, this is a hilarious thread indeed. Does not it bother you, Hogan, that everyone sees you for what you truly are? You're either a troll or the most pathetically idiotic individual to ever find these forums, and I favor the latter explanation.

Hogan stated:
Also, initializing a disc doesn't always wipe the directory. Case in point, the Dual Ghz PM I had over a month ago. This had two HDs. One of them did not show up under OS9 so I initialized it and all the data was there in tact.
LOL! It takes a special breed of moron to not know that initialization effectively erases a volume. Any hard drive utility displays that idiot warning before proceeding with the initialization. Did you actually think you'd get your data back by initializing your drive? And then you have the audacity to come on here and bitch about OS X. Bitch and moan - that's all you ever do here.

Kelly, computers are obviously not your forte. And you're definitely just as ignorant when it comes to history and politics. Even though the Mac is incredibly easy to use, I can't teach it to my dog, for he lacks the basal intelligence. You also obviously lack that requisite sophistication. You should really procure a safety pencil and a circle of paper and get the hell out of here.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 23, 2002, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
<STRONG>Wow, this is a hilarious thread indeed. Does not it bother you, Hogan, that everyone sees you for what you truly are? You're either a troll or the most pathetically idiotic individual to ever find these forums, and I favor the latter explanation.

LOL! It takes a special breed of moron to not know that initialization effectively erases a volume. Any hard drive utility displays that idiot warning before proceeding with the initialization. Did you actually think you'd get your data back by initializing your drive? And then you have the audacity to come on here and bitch about OS X. Bitch and moan - that's all you ever do here.

Kelly, computers are obviously not your forte. And you're definitely just as ignorant when it comes to history and politics. Even though the Mac is incredibly easy to use, I can't teach it to my dog, for he lacks the basal intelligence. You also obviously lack that requisite sophistication. You should really procure a safety pencil and a circle of paper and get the hell out of here.</STRONG>
You're talking out of your backside. I initialised a disc that did not get erased. I've seen this so how can it be refuted?

Computers not my forte? Let's see the computers I have used and owned up until now:

Dragon 32
Commodore 64
Atari ST
Amiga 500
X86 systems with the following CPUs: 486 SX, 486 DX, K586-100, Pentium 133, Pentium 200, Dual Pentium II 266, Celeron 400, Pentium II 300, Pentium III 800, Pentium III 733, Athlon 1.4Ghz.
Acer Pentium 266 laptop, Dell Inspiron 7000,
Sony Vaio 333, Sony Vaio SR1K 500, Sony Vaio GR 933
Apple Powerbook G3 400, Power Mac Dual 450, Powerbook G4-400, Powerbook G4-550, Power Mac Dual 1Ghz, iMac 800

That's a total of 26 computers not counting incremental upgrades to the PCs involving numerous graphic cards and other upgrades. Out of all of them I've only really had problems in the last year with the Macs and none of them my own fault. Each problem has been outlined in posts above. I wasn't responsible for the DP/PPP/kernal panic bug. I did not write the crap Speedtouch drivers. I did not write such a bad Finder. I am not responsible for the faults in my current iMac. I did not misalign the optical drive in the Powerbook G4. I am not responsible for dead pixels ona brand new computer.

So say what you want. Maybe it makes your world a more comfortable place to deliberately avoid problems that people are complaining about. EACH and EVERY problem I have had above has happened to others on these forums. To ignore that tells me there is something wrong with yourself rather than me.

Now how long does a thread have to be before someone admits that I might not have been able to do anything if a disc utility could not even be run from the CD is the drive is not working correctly and that the system should not crash so badly within three weeks if it is the most advanced in the world?

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2002, 04:35 AM

Lost all your data did you...Couldn't have happened to a "Nicer" person

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2002, 04:39 AM

Kelly, why can't you just shut up and move on? Your data is only important to one person. It isn't the end of the world.

I really don't know what you are trying to do... You sound more like ShitWizard right now.

p.s. The way you complained sound like girl and "Kelly" match that perfectly

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 23, 2002, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>Kelly, why can't you just shut up and move on? Your data is only important to one person. It isn't the end of the world.
</STRONG>
I didn't make a big thing out of it. I laughed. The fanatic members on this board have made a big thing out of it.

SO instead of advocating solutions and asking Apple to fix problems, from now on I will do what the fanatics do. Every time someone complains or experiences a crash I will laugh at them, blame them for it and tell them to buy more software and hardware.

eno
Banned
Mar 23, 2002, 05:02 AM

Laugh all you like, "Kelly"... I can't imagine you'll ever laugh more about others' misfortunes than I and everybody else here already have about yours.

Hilarious.

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2002, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by eno:
<STRONG>Laugh all you like, "Kelly"... I can't imagine you'll ever laugh more about others' misfortunes than I and everybody else here already have about yours.

Hilarious.</STRONG>
I don't laugh. This guy has had some SERIOUS problems, but I also see that he seems to have this need to blame OSX for his problems even though it is unlikely that OSX is at fault. From everything I've read in this thread, it sounds like Kelly's hard drive is dying (or dead). This is NOT, repeat NOT, the fault of OSX. It is bad hardware, plain and simple. It's not really the fault of Apple either, bad hardware happens no matter who you are (Microsoft's mice, Sun, Compaq, Dell, whoever). Kelly though, seems to have had an inordinate amount of bad luck with Mac hardware. I sympathize, but placing the blame on and making trite remarks about OSX does not make anyone want to help (including me).

Kelly, you have bad hardware, your machine is only three weeks old, therefore take it in for service and quit bitching about OSX being the root of all your problems.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

JLL
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2002, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by tinrib:
<STRONG>Hey Kelly, if I was you're computer I'd panic too.</STRONG>
ROTFLMAO
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

MacOSR
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2002, 09:00 AM

<STRONG>My only choice was to boot of an OS9 CD. After that I noticed that the HD was not mounted. Using OS9's utilities I managed to initialise the HD. Hooray!!! I lost all my data! Great. This OSX is the most advanced OS in the world. And iMac 800 is so modern.

So now I have to zero all data and restore my Mac. I've lost my digital photos, my Word documents, my settings, my apps, all the Version Tracker stuff that I still had to back up. I can't believe there is no built in utility to prevent such a loss of data when the OS can be so fragile.
</STRONG>
You initialized the HD and you're suprised that you lost all your data?!?!

There are some things to learn here....

1. This is not something exclusive to Apple's...I've had $20,000.00 servers die after 1 day due to bad hardware
2. If you can't afford to loose it BACK IT UP!
3. Purchase a good disk utility BEFORE you have problems
4. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER format a hard drive thinking that you'll be able to get your data back...that's just crazy thinking
5. If you can't afford to loose it BACK IT UP!
6. If you can't afford to loose it BACK IT UP!
7. If you can't afford to loose it BACK IT UP!
8. If you can't afford to loose it BACK IT UP!
9. If you can't afford to loose it BACK IT UP!
10. Did I say: If you can't afford to loose it BACK IT UP!

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2002, 11:32 AM

C'mon everybody. This dumping on Kelly is getting a little out of hand. Not that I haven't been frustrated too but I've kept my comments directed at his tone, rather than throwing out personal insults.

Besides, I actually think this conversation may have some usefulness...

<STRONG>

I always have a folder on my HD called 'Back Up in which apps and docs go into. Once that folder gets big enough I copy it to CD. Amazingly this was going to be backed up this weekend.

Regarding initialising, I had two HDs in my Power Mac. One was called HAL and the other Dunkin Drive. The latter for back ups. Both appeared fine under OSX but booting into OS9 I saw that Dunkin Drive had nto mounted. I used the utils to initialise it and it did so with all the data in tact except that under OS9 the volume name came up as untitled. Surely others have seen this behavior?</STRONG>
The first paragraph, now this is a perfectly reasonable backup strategy for someone at home. I might have gone ahead and run the backup since you said you were experiencing problems, but here we are. Another good suggestion for backing up small files (especially great for FCP or iMovie session files where the big media is replaceable) is ... iDisk.

Also in 9 don't forget to rebuild your desktop on a semi-regular basis.

The salient point that is been lost in all of this, and that I would like to know, is -- does XP or any flavor of Windows provide disk utilities with the features of DW or Norton etc folded into the operating system? That seemed to be what you were saying early on. In that case, fair play to XP. We don't have that. It should be said though, that Apple does have a tougher road to hoe than MS regarding 3rd party developers and doesn't need to go pissing everybody off by replacing their apps with free alternatives.

Regarding your paragraph about initializing, well, I'm stumped. What utility are you talking about? Is it possible that the actual command was to update the hard disk drivers? That will leave the data intact ... sometimes (a distant scream is heard from a macaddled in the past.) So, the drive came up as empty and untitled in OS 9, but retained its old name and data in OS X. If that is what happened, get thee to Apple Feedback!

MacOSR
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2002, 11:56 AM

<STRONG>The salient point that is been lost in all of this, and that I would like to know, is -- does XP or any flavor of Windows provide disk utilities with the features of DW or Norton etc folded into the operating system? That seemed to be what you were saying early on. In that case, fair play to XP. We don't have that. It should be said though, that Apple does have a tougher road to hoe than MS regarding 3rd party developers and doesn't need to go pissing everybody off by replacing their apps with free alternatives.</STRONG>
No, there is no OS that I know of that ships third party utilities that do this sort of thing. We get everything that Windows users get for free.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2002, 01:42 PM

To take a page from MacOSR... :breaks into song; tune of "If You're Happy And you Know It":

If you can't afford to lose it back it up (clap clap)
If you can't afford to lose it
Then there's no way to excuse it

Seriously, though, the dumping on Kelly is getting a out of hand. I do agree that Apple is not to blame for this. If there's anyone at fault for the dataloss, it is Kelly, but you know, I'm not even sure we should be placing the blame on him. Sometimes, These Things Just Happen (tm). So stop the flames, OK?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2002, 02:13 PM

<STRONG>I always have a folder on my HD called 'Back Up in which apps and docs go into. Once that folder gets big enough I copy it to CD.</STRONG>
<STRONG>The first paragraph, now this is a perfectly reasonable backup strategy for someone at home. I might have gone ahead and run the backup since you said you were experiencing problems, but here we are. Another good suggestion for backing up small files (especially great for FCP or iMovie session files where the big media is replaceable) is ... iDisk. </STRONG>
Eh? I think backing up a series of files only on the same disk as the original is lunacy. In the very least, consider backing up on a different partition, but even that I think isn't particularly safe. If the files are important, they MUST be also saved on a separate physical disk, whether it be a floppy, a networked computer, a zip disk, an external hard drive, or a CD-R.

Now, I DO do this with my unimportant files. Ie. When I download some apps from Version Tracker sometimes I'll just save them in a separate directory for backup later, knowing that if I need to I can always redownload the files (which often have been updated in the meantime) later. But even then, I try to keep them on a separate partition if possible.

[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: Eug ]

Sine
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2002, 03:02 PM

OS X just hates Kelly. It's that simple.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 23, 2002, 03:04 PM

OK, geezers. I succumbed to the best back up solution I could find. An iPod.

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
<STRONG>
Eh? I think backing up a series of files only on the same disk as the original is lunacy. In the very least, consider backing up on a different partition, but even that I think isn't particularly safe. If the files are important, they MUST be also saved on a separate physical disk, whether it be a floppy, a networked computer, a zip disk, an external hard drive, or a CD-R. </STRONG>
Er, Eug, you may want to reread the first sentence from Kelly that you quoted.

MacOSR
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2002, 04:18 PM

<STRONG>OK, geezers. I succumbed to the best back up solution I could find. An iPod.</STRONG>
That's better than nouthing ;-) You should backup your information on a regular basis. There is nouthing worse than realizing you lost data and you have no backup.

Also, you may want to invest in a hard drive utility. I prefer DiskWarrior and it has come in handly while recorvering hard drives for clients.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 23, 2002, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by MacOSR:
<STRONG>

That's better than nouthing ;-) You should backup your information on a regular basis. There is nouthing worse than realizing you lost data and you have no backup.

Also, you may want to invest in a hard drive utility. I prefer DiskWarrior and it has come in handly while recorvering hard drives for clients.</STRONG>
What happens if my iPod hard drive fails?

And though I may have had bad luck with Apple computers, Airport is running fine Ok, enough cheekiness and one more complaint. The iPod is easy to scratch and the firewire port is not protected from water. What nice iPod case can I get in the UK?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2002, 04:47 PM

I know you can read cause you keep replying. I said you complained about a bunch of things in that thread, not that you're the cause of the bug.

I just wanted folks to know thay you really don't want help.

Ran out of gas. Great. Most advanced vehicle...
Out of paper. Great. Most advanced printer...
Batteries died. Great. Most advanced battery...

Now i'll go cry cause you called me a fucking idiot.

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2002, 05:27 PM

<STRONG>

What happens if my iPod hard drive fails?</STRONG>
It never will -- they made the iPods with special, magic drives that always have at least 3gigs free no matter how much you store there, and never fail. Either that or you're SOL.

<STRONG>And though I may have had bad luck with Apple computers, Airport is running fine Ok, enough cheekiness and one more complaint. The iPod is easy to scratch and the firewire port is not protected from water. What nice iPod case can I get in the UK?</STRONG>
I don't know Kelly, you seem like a Dior man to me...

Christian Dior iPod case

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2002, 05:28 PM

' Been a while since I've actually posted anything here. This thread reminds me of why that is.

MODS: Stick a fork in this thread's ass. It's done.
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 23, 2002, 05:36 PM

<STRONG>

I don't know Kelly, you seem like a Dior man to me...

Christian Dior iPod case</STRONG>
That's gross! That was....ugh...I can see Joan Collins with one. I need something like thin, strong plastic and transparent. What about a cap to cover the firewire port. Even iBook users need those.

JLL
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>To take a page from MacOSR... :breaks into song; tune of "If You're Happy And you Know It":

If you can't afford to lose it
Then there's no way to excuse it
If you can't afford to lose it back it up (clap clap)</STRONG>
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2002, 02:35 PM

<STRONG>I don't know Kelly, you seem like a Dior man to me...

Christian Dior iPod case</STRONG>
Whoa! That gotta be one of the ugliest iPod case around!

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 24, 2002, 05:11 PM

After driving 400 miles a week my car has now gone kaput too.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2002, 06:20 PM

Previous threads have already established that Kelly Hogan is a troll. This troll is probably a male Wintel user. Read her posts with caution.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 24, 2002, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
<STRONG>Previous threads have already established that Kelly Hogan is a troll. This troll is probably a male Wintel user. Read her posts with caution.</STRONG>
****ing first class moron. Thats what you are.

Evan DiBiase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2002, 06:26 PM

<STRONG>After driving 400 miles a week my car has now gone kaput too.</STRONG>
Make sure to firebomb it, taking great pains to ensure that all of your valuable personal items are inside before doing so.

xbhoff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2002, 06:53 PM

same thing happened to me last week, right after installing the new iTunes 2.0.4 update. on restart my os x volume was completely gone.

it was unrepairable and unmountable, even with Disk Warrior thrown at it. after several hours of trying everything, I gave up and initialized the disk and began re-installing the OS and everything else from scratch.

yeah, I was p*ssed off too. but mostly at myself for having been too lazy to create backups of the stuff I couldn't afford to lose, but did.

it now takes me less than 5 minutes at the end of the day to make a daily incremental backup of stuff on my disk I can't afford to lose. it took me about 11 hours to get my system and apps reinstalled and have everything back to normal working order. and its taken me years to finally realize that not having backups means the pipe up your ass only goes in farther when disaster does strike.

yes, it really hurts. now stop whining, correct the situation yourself, and move on.

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2002, 07:00 PM

Kelly, if I where to define you with a single word, it would be "troll".

Your neverending trolling is truely amazing, and just like all the other trolls out there, you regenerate and come back for more, again and again and again....

One of the moderators should really finish it and spray you with azid or something.

And everyone should ignore you, since you're obiously not looking for any help, but rather you just want to complain and argue.

Get a life.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2002, 08:15 PM

<STRONG>

Thanks for jumping on the bandwagon of the misinformed.

I COULD NOT BOOT INTO ANY OS. THE - CRASH - WAS - AT - THE - BEGINNING - OF - BOOT - UP - SEQUENCE.

So I have to boot off a CD.</STRONG>
mmm...

So Disk tools is not on a CD.... (Apple Boot CD Disk)

Norton Utils is not on a CD....... (Boot CD Disk)

Disk Warrior is not on CD.... (Boot CD Disk)

All these utils could have helped in saving your data....

The more I read of this the more I think you go out of your way to create problems and NOT find solutions.

Now here's a dollar now go buy yourself a clue.

Cheers Edd

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
<STRONG>Previous threads have already established that Kelly Hogan is a troll. This troll is probably a male Wintel user. Read her posts with caution.</STRONG>
I think Kelly is having an sex identify crisis right now. "Am I a boy or a girl?"

Your right, he/she is more likely a Wintel user. The one thing that I'm surprised is that he/she have plenty of energy to come back for more. Probably more energy than ShyWizard have.

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2002, 08:50 PM

BACKING UP

You asked if you should back up every day.

Well, when deciding how often to back up, you should ask youself, "would it be more hassle to do a backup now, or to recreate from scratch all the data that has been created or modified since the last backup?"

If it's easier to do a backup than recreate the data manually, then you should do a backup. Pretty simple really.

But you say you lost all your data? Does that means you had NO BACKUPS AT ALL? Now THAT scares me! You can't blame Apple for losing your data, if you don't backup it up. You can blame them for producing a dodgy OS if you want to, but hard disks are not as reliable as paper files, and there are so many things that can go wrong with hard disks (such as the OS manufacturer's fault, the HD manufacturer's fault, other connected hardware manufacturer's fault, fire, flood, vandals, theives, etc, etc, etc).

If you don't backup frequently, you should expect to lose data. Hard disks are not safe storage. They are only used because they are fast and convenient.

Having said all that, I am sorry that you (and others) have had such problems, and I hope that they don't re-occur.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Groovy:
<STRONG>drag the file to another drive or send it over LAN to another box or burn it into a CD-R.</STRONG>
Apple includes a wonderful backup tool for the consumers' small-but-important-file-saving needs with all their consumer machines:

iDisk.
iDisk.
iDisk.

-s*

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2002, 10:51 PM

Hey Kelly,

you should backup your stuff dude...

Forum Links
Forum Rules