Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iMac: 8.6 -> 10.2.4 = no video?

iMac: 8.6 -> 10.2.4 = no video?
beanman
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2003, 09:52 AM

Yesterday I tried to update my sister-in-law's 350Mhz iMac from 8.6 to 10.2.4. Everything was going pretty well until a restart came from updating to 10.2.4. The screen went a really dark, blood red and the graphics were barely viewable, mostly having a heavy ghosting effect put to them. Then after a power down and another restart, the screen had nothing but you could still hear the hard drive chatter as if it was still starting up. Then after a few more tries, the machine would turn on briefly and then just power down on its own after about 10-20 seconds. I then left the iMac with my brother, as we were both working on it, to repair.

We think we have a solution, but want to get some feedback. We believe that we forgot to update the Firmware prior to installing 10.2. By not doing so, the protection circuitry is causing the display to initally shut off and then just power down all together. We know how to crack the top open and get in there to repair the firmware, but is this the solution?

Would love some feedback on this...
( Last edited by beanman; Mar 31, 2003 at 10:00 AM. )

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

step
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2003, 10:04 AM

that definitely sounds like the firmware bug, i 've read solutions for it that involved either a second mac or a second monitor so have a google or forum search before you have at it with a screwdriver (unless you've been itching for the chance!)
oh and seriously, there's alot of current humming around in an imac, even when it's unplugged

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by beanman:
Yesterday I tried to update my sister-in-law's 350Mhz iMac from 8.6 to 10.2.4. Everything was going pretty well until a restart came from updating to 10.2.4. The screen went a really dark, blood red and the graphics were barely viewable, mostly having a heavy ghosting effect put to them. Then after a power down and another restart, the screen had nothing but you could still hear the hard drive chatter as if it was still starting up. Then after a few more tries, the machine would turn on briefly and then just power down on its own after about 10-20 seconds. I then left the iMac with my brother, as we were both working on it, to repair.

We think we have a solution, but want to get some feedback. We believe that we forgot to update the Firmware prior to installing 10.2. By not doing so, the protection circuitry is causing the display to initally shut off and then just power down all together. We know how to crack the top open and get in there to repair the firmware, but is this the solution?

Would love some feedback on this...

Definitely happened because you forgot to update the firmware. But crack the top? No, just grab a second monitor, hook it up to the vga port, boot into OS 9, update firmware.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

mactechie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 11:18 AM

Hi all,

To solve this problem you have to upgrade your firmware to version 4.1.9 (available from the Apple KnowledgeBase)
In order to install the firmware you have to first install Mac OS 9.1 or newer.

About the tips with the VGA port. Sorry, but no can do. If you have a 400MHz or newer iMac that's the best solution but the 350MHz doesn't have a VGA port...
If you can't see anything, try putting the iMac to sleeep, then waking it up. It's no joke.

Good Luck

Mactechie

beanman  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2003, 12:00 PM

There is no external monitor port on this model of iMac. It doesn't even have Firewire. But we were under the thought that if we open the shell up, there would be a port to connect to. Can anyone verify this?

mactechie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 12:08 PM

no

jdbon
Mar 31, 2003, 12:52 PM

You could create a 9.1 boot CD with the firmware update and boot from the CD to flash the firmware.

beanman  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2003, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the input. Hopefully they can get things worked out, but we'll have to see what happens. They being my brother and another guy who does these sorts of things all the time. It shouldn't be too hard for them to get sorted out, but I wanted to see if I could get any feedback...and I did! Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules