Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac + Win : how to use your computer tutorial app?

Mac + Win : how to use your computer tutorial app?
Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2003, 01:46 PM

Does anyone remember that old app that came on the old b+w macs that literally taught you how to use your computer? from moving the mouse, to double clicking, and all that jazz?

well... my grandpa has just taken receive of what was my old win98 PC. (I got a mac, so it went to my sister. she then got a mac, so we passed it on to my pa as a 1st computer). he's never used a computer before.
What I would love, is an app similar to that old mac app, that runs though a tutorial on how to do basic things. Any OS really, although a Win one would be better since he can run it himself.

And before anyone jumps on my back about it being for Windows, I ask here because it's probably the only place where one might find someone who knows what mac tute i'm talking about.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 01:54 PM

AFAIK the tutorial was Mac-only. Never heard of something similar in the PC-world.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Jun 14, 2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Nathan Adams:
Does anyone remember that old app that came on the old b+w macs that literally taught you how to use your computer? from moving the mouse, to double clicking, and all that jazz?

well... my grandpa has just taken receive of what was my old win98 PC. (I got a mac, so it went to my sister. she then got a mac, so we passed it on to my pa as a 1st computer). he's never used a computer before.
What I would love, is an app similar to that old mac app, that runs though a tutorial on how to do basic things. Any OS really, although a Win one would be better since he can run it himself.

And before anyone jumps on my back about it being for Windows, I ask here because it's probably the only place where one might find someone who knows what mac tute i'm talking about.
I can try to do that. But not until a few weeks when i get the opportunity to use a Performa 400 (to extract graphics from the tutorial app).

- Thilo

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 02:09 PM

I have an up and running PPC 6100 OS 7. I can try to search for the tutorial in the system file and copy it (should be Quicktime, i think)

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
I have an up and running PPC 6100 OS 7. I can try to search for the tutorial in the system file and copy it (should be Quicktime, i think)
The tutorial was a separate disk with a minimal System (no Finder) on it, and the last I saw of it was PRE-System 7, IIRC.

I no longer have it, unfortunately. I loaned somebody my entire floppy archive, and they lost most of it. :angry:

-s*

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 06:42 PM

Although it wasn't quite as basic, my old Powerbook G3 came with a tutorial on clicking, double clicking and whatnot. Dragging. Typing, all that. Looked pretty cool too.

I taught my grandparents using that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Although it wasn't quite as basic, my old Powerbook G3 came with a tutorial on clicking, double clicking and whatnot. Dragging. Typing, all that. Looked pretty cool too.

I taught my grandparents using that.
cool.

I want!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 12:50 AM

I loved those apps. Anyone remember the one about feeding fish or something like that?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
I loved those apps. Anyone remember the one about feeding fish or something like that?
Not sure. Been quite a while since my trusty PowerBook G3. I remember filling a bag with shopping, and ringing a bell? Not sure what else I did!

clod
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
I do. It was on either my Quadra 610 or my Performa 6400/180. I can't remember which.

Forum Links
Forum Rules