Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto 4 - any Macworld testers ?

iPhoto 4 - any Macworld testers ?
Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 11:02 AM

Has anyone played with iPhoto 4 at Macworld then ? Are the claims of improved speed to be believed ?

Sure, the Keynote demo was slick, but aren't they always - Steve uses a Quad 4 GHz G6 for all his demos

If it's anything like as fast as iView Multimedia I'll be a happy bunny.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 12:56 PM

I don't know about iView but iPhoto 4 was fast. I didn't play with it much but I did scroll up and down the library...fast.

Chris

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 01:23 PM

It already scrolls fast if you turn off shadows on the thumbnails. Perhaps the shadows are now QE accelerated? They do look nice.

I think the bigger complaint is the sudden drop-off in performance when you have a couple thousand or more photos in the library. How many photos are on the demo machines?

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2004, 01:35 PM

Part of the problem now is if any of the photos are of high quality (= large size) then every thing slows down.

There are a lot of nice features in iPhoto, but the speed is way to slow to use it at all. I use a Nikon D100 and the NikonView software is nice too but each is not the king of the hill. There might be something beter out there...

West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 01:55 PM

If iPhoto 4 is faster I think that some (or most) of the gain comes from dropping Mac OS X 10.1.x support since the interface doesn't have to be a hack now, and QE can be utilized.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Westfoto:
Part of the problem now is if any of the photos are of high quality (= large size) then every thing slows down.

There are a lot of nice features in iPhoto, but the speed is way to slow to use it at all. I use a Nikon D100 and the NikonView software is nice too but each is not the king of the hill. There might be something beter out there...

West
The speed is not why to slow to use at all. I have around 15k in photos and using all the little tricks, a.k.a. close all rolls, it can be used.

I would guess that it's almost as fast and iView now.
Dan

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2004, 02:31 PM

I have a Canon S400 with around 3000 photos in my iPhoto library.

It's dog slow.

I love the program, but hate the speed.

I can't wait to get my hands on iPhoto 04' edition.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 02:48 PM

Same boat.... about 4000 photos, all of the shadows etc turned off and it is VERY slow. This is on a 1GH G4, 2 GB ram and a Radeon 8500.

Can't wait for iTunes 3+++

BZ

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

It's dog slow.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
If iPhoto 4 is faster I think that some (or most) of the gain comes from dropping Mac OS X 10.1.x support since the interface doesn't have to be a hack now, and QE can be utilized.
Good point!

-Owl

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
QE doesn't actually have to be explicitly used in the program. Anything using [NSImage compositeToPoint:] (among others, I would assume) will be QE accelerated. Since that is (afaik) the standard way of drawing images in OSX, most programs that draw images use QE. That said, I would imagine that dropping 10.1.x does allow for some optimizations, although I can't think offhand what they would be.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 04:38 PM

What about iPhoto Library management? This seems to be a major complaint. Is iPhoto managing files more like iTunes now or is it still in the cryptic iPhoto Library as before?
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 8, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
What about iPhoto Library management? This seems to be a major complaint. Is iPhoto managing files more like iTunes now or is it still in the cryptic iPhoto Library as before?
Here Here!!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 05:16 PM

Anything using [NSImage compositeToPoint:] (among others, I would assume) will be QE accelerated.
Um, no. There are some 10.3-only tricks that let you take advantage of the GPU to speed up drawing of window content, but that's not one of them. Otherwise, all Quartz Extreme can do for you is speed up compositing of windows (and under some circumstances, scrolling in scroll views). QE certainly wouldn't account for library load time speedups or some of the other performance enhancements.

More likely they just sat down and did some good old-fashioned performance optimizations... eliminating unnecessary memory allocation and deallocation, short-circuiting functions when they do nothing useful, taking out all the calls to sleep() they put in the last version (kidding ), etc.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 8, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Here Here!!
Pet peeve #12: it's "Hear hear!" Not "Here here!"

johnpg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 06:00 PM

So, any more "real world" experience from Macworld visitors?

typ993
Jan 8, 2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by johnpg:
So, any more "real world" experience from Macworld visitors?
I played with iP 4 a little at Macworld. The demo machine (AlPB 17) had 3800 photos in the library.

I'm currently using iP3 on a TiBook 1GHz and have about 700 photos in the library and performance is excruciating, so I was very interested in speed.

Scrolling through photos and resizing thumbnails was very quick. The time it took for a photo to go from pixelated to sharply rendered was well under a second for every photo I brought up at maximum zoom.

Overall, performance is considerably improved, even Snappy�. Is that worth $49 to you? To me it is, especially with GarageBand.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 09:32 PM

Two things
-When does the expo end (so Steve can do his "one more thing" line.)
-Will Apple have another Keynote/iLife education pack for $19? That was great.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Two things
-When does the expo end (so Steve can do his "one more thing" line.)
-Will Apple have another Keynote/iLife education pack for $19? That was great.
iLife is $29 through edu store. "one more thing" is at the end of the _keynote_ typically.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by typ993:
I played with iP 4 a little at Macworld. The demo machine (AlPB 17) had 3800 photos in the library.

I'm currently using iP3 on a TiBook 1GHz and have about 700 photos in the library and performance is excruciating, so I was very interested in speed.

Scrolling through photos and resizing thumbnails was very quick. The time it took for a photo to go from pixelated to sharply rendered was well under a second for every photo I brought up at maximum zoom.

Overall, performance is considerably improved, even Snappy�. Is that worth $49 to you? To me it is, especially with GarageBand.
This is reassuring. I have a 3800 pic library on my 800Mhz Cube, and using iPhoto makes me want to scream. "Supercomputer" my.... foot.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

alex720l
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

It's dog slow.

Has anyone tried iphoto library manager to break up their libraries into smaller files? I have and it seems to work pretty well though may not be needed anymore with iphoto 4.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
iLife is $29 through edu store. "one more thing" is at the end of the _keynote_ typically.
Wasn't OS 9 released at the end of the Expo though? Just some afterthought kinda deal?

ed phelan
Jan 9, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Pet peeve #12: it's "Hear hear!" Not "Here here!"
would hear here do?

SAgent0068
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 12:10 AM

Does anybody know if iPhoto stores its data in the same format as before? i.e. the nice AlbumData.xml file in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

myPhoto: all you have to do is plug in your digital camera, import your photos as you normally would into iPhoto, organize them, add whatever captions you want, and voila! Your photos are on your web page! And what did you have to do to put them there? Simply install myPhoto.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 03:45 AM

I was able to test out iPhoto 4 on my own 867 12" PowerBook Rev. A and with the shadows on the pictures, when you move that little thing that resizes the pictures, it's zippy, I mean F A S T! I couldn't believe it! Scrolling up and down the library window is nice and fast as well. I was also pleased to see that you can turn off the "Last Roll" and "Last 12 Months" or photos album in the album list. Finally my last "YEAH!" goes to when you press the slideshow button, and you go to the iTunes Playlists, they are in alphabetical order!!!!! Before my 200 + Playlists were in some sort of random order, now they look like how I wanted them to look! Unfortunately iMovie 2004 doesn't follow this trend You will all like it, I promise!

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 11:11 AM

can you move pics between rolls now?

fg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by iamnotmad:
Yes, it is possible to move pictures between rolls.

/Frippe

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 12:02 PM

Unfortunately I moved all of my pictures to a PC and started using the $99 Digitial Image Pro from Microsoft. (Very iPhoto like: Good editing features, but not as many sharing features ... notably missing are the "create book" and "Share on web" options.)

I moved them because iPhoto was too gosh darn slow on my 500Mhz G4 Cube.

I'm looking forward to iPhoto 4 so I can move my photos back to my mac where they belong. (Hopefully iMovie will be faster too as I've been doing my video editing with Windows Movie Maker 2).

I *might* upgrade to a G5 in February so I'm holding off on ordering software that I'll otherwise get for free with a new Mac. (But I'm excited about what I see!)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 12:03 PM

I doubt it. iPhoto models real-life photography. And in real life, you can't move a shot from one roll of negatives to another.

The film roll view is not for organizing photos. It shows which pictures were taken together. The album features of iPhoto are for organizing pictures into your own groups.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm wrong.

Chris

fg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 12:08 PM

I only have about 1200 photos in my library but it is very fast. Takes some time to load iPhoto in the beginning. Sitting on 1 ghz iMac. Switching between albums is instantaneous.

/F

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2004, 05:38 PM

iPhoto 4 has leaked to the web. I've installed it on my 17" iMac 1.25 GHz w/ 768mb RAM and imported all my photos. Needless to say it's nearly instantaneous to navigate through it, and the new screening process in slideshows is long overdue. Wonderful app and a most welcomed upgrade.
jesse ;-)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2004, 05:49 PM

Has anyone got any comments with reference to this thread? I REALLY want to use iPhoto but it just seems that iPhoto can't do what I want it to.

All I really is some way to organize albums, because if we use iPhoto we'd need over a thousand albums, even if the pictures are only several thousand.

I'm not sure moving pictures between film rolls would help at all either.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 06:23 PM

Thats one thing I was hoping in the next version of iPhoto and iTunes for that fact. The ability to nest iPhoto Albums and iTunes Playlists. I've sent feedback and it (at-least to me) seems like a logical feature. I for example have all the pictures for the Trail of Terror and I currently have a album for each year back to '95. This inability makes my iPhoto album list very..very long.

But the current reports about iMovie and iPhoto 4 being very fast and responsive is a breathe of fresh air, I remember last year when mostly all posts were pained at the slowness of iMovie and the lack of significant speed in iPhoto. Seems Apple listened in the speed department.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 06:42 PM

I think Apple has an issue with nesting.

You can't even nest bookmarks in Surfari. (At least not easilly)

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2004, 06:53 PM

Very fast with my 5000 pictures on 17 AL - before IPhoto 4 I'd basically given up with 3, was actually not taking pictures so I didn't have to open it up.

It's cool - Imovie 4 is cool too. =]
I have Mac

handras
Jan 10, 2004, 07:32 PM

I'm already using iPhoto4, and it's so cool. Everything is fast, very very fast. iPhoto 3? No way! iPhoto 4 rule!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2004, 07:46 PM

No option to categorize albums, so albums become difficult to manage once you have more than about 20 or so.

You can't sort or categorize the keywords. eg If you have 25 keywords they're just listed in the order you created them.

eg.
Zoe
Phil
Prescott
Work
Power Mac
School
Sports
Dog
Apple
Music
Anniversary
Steve Jobs
Computer pix
G5
Homer Simpson
Butterflies
G4
Grandma Sue
Fruit
Spider
Stamps
Receipts
iPod
Godzilla
Mouse
Horse
etc.

The Smart Albums are good - long overdue, but it would still be impossible to manage Apple's number of 25000 pictures with such limited categorization and sorting options.

Thus, it's still not usable for me, for either my personal photos (of which I have thousands), or my photos at work (of which we also have thousands).

See my thread here.

BTW, I can confirm that you can move pictures between rolls. And each separate directory in a folder that you import gets seen as a separate roll too. ie. If you import a directory with 5 folders in it, you get 5 separate rolls created.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 10, 2004 at 08:00 PM. )

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2004, 01:28 AM

I have an iView catalog with 12,281 files with thumbnails at 256x256 that opens up fully in less than 4 seconds, thumbnails and all. I hope iPhoto can do half as good but I doubt it. Will just have to wait till my iLife upgrade comes in.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I doubt it. iPhoto models real-life photography. And in real life, you can't move a shot from one roll of negatives to another.

The film roll view is not for organizing photos. It shows which pictures were taken together. The album features of iPhoto are for organizing pictures into your own groups.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm wrong.

Chris
I assume u mean the entirety of what you said was wrong.

In real life, you have rolls of film which contain a fixed number of photos. Very few people take less or more than the stated number of photos on a film.

In the digital arena, however, things are not so simple. There are plenty times I have taken 40, 50 or more photos, imported them into iPhoto and then decided that I want one more photo of something. It is really irritating to have that one photo lying around in my photo library in a roll of its own.

People can't always be bothered creating albums. Allowing finer-grained control of rolls is a good move.

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2004, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by SAgent0068:
Does anybody know if iPhoto stores its data in the same format as before? i.e. the nice AlbumData.xml file in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

Yes it does, and the pics are organized by year
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2004, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by SAgent0068:

I think it may be slightly different. When you open iPhoto4 for the first time it asks if you want to update the iPhoto Libruary, and warns that if you do it will be unusable by older versions of iPhoto.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 09:58 AM

for those interested... iPhoto 4 runs really fast on a iBook G3 800 with around 3500 photos imported.

impressed.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 10:19 AM

Apple "cheats" a bit for the speed improvement; all they've done is disable thumbnail rendering until you've stopped scrolling/scaling.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
Apple "cheats" a bit for the speed improvement; all they've done is disable thumbnail rendering until you've stopped scrolling/scaling.
Exactly.

Perfect Idea.

Illustrator does this even in the latest version--just render what i'm looking at--otherwise give me a lower res preview as i'm quickly scrolling

takes about half a second to look clear again on my outdated iceBook.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by mishap:
Exactly.

Perfect Idea.

Illustrator does this even in the latest version--just render what i'm looking at--otherwise give me a lower res preview as i'm quickly scrolling

takes about half a second to look clear again on my outdated iceBook.
Makes sense to me.

I think this is how Windows Explorer "thumbnail" view does it as well.

It ain't cheatin', it's smart design.

Gee4orce  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2004, 12:15 PM

Now maybe Apple will employ somebody with a clue to fix window resizine in OS X....

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Now maybe Apple will employ somebody with a clue to fix window resizine in OS X....
What I find somewhat humorous is that iTunes in Windows resizes nearly as badly (if not worse) than it does in OSX.

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by GENERAL_SMILEY:
Very fast with my 5000 pictures on 17 AL - before IPhoto 4 I'd basically given up with 3, was actually not taking pictures so I didn't have to open it up.
Originally posted by handras:
iPhoto 3? No way! iPhoto 4 rule!
I suppose you both mean iPhoto 2. iPhoto 3 has never existed.

I guess it's a side effect of the reality distortion field!
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules