Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Compile Apache 2 on 10.3 ?

Compile Apache 2 on 10.3 ?
Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 11:38 AM

Has anyone managed to compile Apache 2 on 10.3 from source ? I know there are several packages available, but I need to also compile mod_perl, and none of the packages seem to be up to date enough for me.

Every time I try and compile apache 2, it fails with :

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regcomp
/Users/andy/Downloads/build/httpd-2.0.52/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.al(pcreposix.lo) definition of _regcomp in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regcomp.So) definition of _regcomp
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regexec
/Users/andy/Downloads/build/httpd-2.0.52/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.al(pcreposix.lo) definition of _regexec in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regexec.So) definition of _regexec
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regfree
/Users/andy/Downloads/build/httpd-2.0.52/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.al(pcreposix.lo) definition of _regfree in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libpthread.dylib(regfree.So) definition of _regfree

Help appreciated - this is pretty urgent. Been trying to get it working for about 3 days now and it's driving me mad. Dont ya just love open source ?! :/

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 11:54 AM

Have you tried the fink package? I don't know if they have the mod_perl package included, but you can always build it later (apxs).

Gee4orce  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 01:12 PM

I did download the Fink package. I don't think it has mod_perl - it's certainly not available as a separate download. that's my next step though - to try and compile mod_perl against the Fink version of Apache2.

I have got the Server Logistics package - which is great except that it's been compiled against an older version of expat (I think) and this gives me errors when I try and run my self-compiled mod_perl.

The safest option all-round would be to compile from source myself though.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 05:14 PM

For me this stuff usually depends on getting the configure command right. defining the lib paths correctly etc.

also remember to run 'make clean' when you change the configuration.

utidjian
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 06:55 AM

Perusing your error message... you seem to be missing some headers for "pcre". pcre is the 'Perl Compatible Regular Expression' library.

Just guessing here... but I would bet that you need that as it is not an option you can turn on or off. I seem to have the correct headers on my system under Fink (/sw/include/pcre.h and /sw/include/pcreposix.h).

I also sucessfully built and installed Apache-2.0.50 via Fink (takes a while!!).

I, personally, would not build Apache in /usr/local/ against stuff in /sw/ because I like to keep Fink and Apple as separate as possible. That is to say... if my Fink gets hosed I can simply delete /sw without breaking anything else.

I suppose I just have to ask... Is there some compelling reason you need Apache-2.0.52 and a mod_perl that works with it, or can you get by with the version that comes with Mac OS X and its corresponding mod_perl?

Dont ya just love open source ?! :/
Yeah I sure do love it... If I break it I get to keep all the pieces
-DU-...etc...

Forum Links
Forum Rules