Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Uh-oh . . . replacement plastics staining, too.

Uh-oh . . . replacement plastics staining, too.
raekwon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 09:57 AM

Yep.

You may remember a few weeks ago when I posted about the good customer service experience I had when taking my stained MacBook in to get the plastics replaced. I also reported that the replacement plastics looked and felt the same as the originals.

Well, the stains are returning. It's been only two weeks. I'm very disappointed . . . I have no plans to return it for service again just yet. I'll probably wait another few months to see if Apple can get its act together on this.

Thumbs down.
Mac mini | 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
iPod (5.5G - white) | 30GB

PhrogDriver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 10:27 AM

Um, please don't take this the wrong way, but if your second MacBook is also staining, are Blackbook owners still "suckers" as your signature line states? Or are you a sucker (for the few months you wait "to see if Apple can get its act together on this")?

just a funny observation on my part...

{ "BlackBook" owners are suckers. ;-) }

raekwon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 10:40 AM

Yes, they're still suckers. I'd rather take it in every once in a while (or even leave it stained) than pay a $150 premium for a different color. ;-)

No offense taken.

PhrogDriver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 10:52 AM

Whatever floats your boat. I myself am at a point in my life where my time is often worth more than my money. That being said, I was looking at one for the house, and was hoping they fixed the problem with the white ones, not that everyone was having the same difficulty. What build week is #2?

nickw311
Senior User
Aug 1, 2006, 11:45 AM

Yeah I am on my second MacBook and it is staining also.
27" iMac C2D

raekwon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by PhrogDriver
Whatever floats your boat. I myself am at a point in my life where my time is often worth more than my money. That being said, I was looking at one for the house, and was hoping they fixed the problem with the white ones, not that everyone was having the same difficulty. What build week is #2?
Well, they did not replace my entire computer . . . just the plastics that were staining. It's week 21.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2006, 02:00 PM

I stained my Black MacBook, but it was probably a marine issue (as in, the "seamen") - god damn that internet!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 03:36 AM

Pick your poison: Staining white iCooks or BlackBooks with flaking paint.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
BlackBooks with flaking paint.
Have their been more than two 'reports' on this? From the impression I'm getting, the BlackBooks are about the only way to get a MB and not have to worry about cosmetic issues crop up on you.

Ouhei
Aug 2, 2006, 10:26 AM

*Looks over at his Macbook* huh...no staining here.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

macwayne
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 01:27 PM

Well, since I'm an owner of a "perfect Blackbook", I must be one of the suckers raekwon is referring to. Well this sucker never had to take my mac in for anything. I never have to worry about staining. That's a good way to spread goodwill with a "signature" like that. Keep taking your macbook back in if you want to, it's your time you're wasting, not mine...

raekwon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 12:54 AM

The sig is all in good humor. Hence the smiley at the end. Also, I don't know where you got the idea that I was concerned about wasting your time.

My Macbook won't be going back in for a little while. Last time I got it back in a matter of hours, which was fine, but Apple obviously needs a little more time to get their act together as to how to remedy this problem.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by raekwon
Also, I don't know where you got the idea that I was concerned about wasting your time.
Friendly advice: There are a lot of highly vocal apologists and fanboys running amok in the Mac community. Deal with it.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2006, 09:30 AM

Yes, they're still suckers. I'd rather take it in every once in a while (or even leave it stained) than pay a $150 premium for a different color. ;-)

No offense taken.
Black is not a color. It's the absence of color.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Aug 4, 2006, 09:46 AM

Am I the only person who owns a MacBook that doesn't have anything wrong with it?
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
Am I the only person who owns a MacBook that doesn't have anything wrong with it?
I have a BlackBook that is simply awesome.

Nothing amiss.

What is so cool is that it's the cheapest Mac I've even purchased and is also the most powerful. I think that is profound.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 4, 2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by PhrogDriver
Um, please don't take this the wrong way, but if your second MacBook is also staining, are Blackbook owners still "suckers" as your signature line states? Or are you a sucker (for the few months you wait "to see if Apple can get its act together on this")?

just a funny observation on my part...

{ "BlackBook" owners are suckers. ;-) }

Yes I own a blackbook and we are suckers. We shouldn't have to pay more just to not have our product stain early.

I love my Blackbook and I would pay $200 more for the colour any day but not just to avoid staining.

"Hello, what have we here?

masugu
Senior User
Aug 4, 2006, 02:12 PM

a slightly mushy track pad...that's it.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

macwayne
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2006, 03:56 PM

The sig is all in good humor. Hence the smiley at the end. Also, I don't know where you got the idea that I was concerned about wasting your time.

My Macbook won't be going back in for a little while. Last time I got it back in a matter of hours, which was fine, but Apple obviously needs a little more time to get their act together as to how to remedy this problem.
iPod shuffle | 1GB

"BlackBook" owners are suckers. ;-)

OK, Whatever!

raekwon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 05:57 PM

It's amazing to me that this thread turned into a discussion about (what I thought was) an obvious joke in my sig, instead of its intended purpose, that is, a discussion about Apple's apparent dropping of the ball in this matter. Oh well.

I'll pose a question to get us back on track here . . . is there anyone else here who has had a staining issue, had the plastics replaced, and then had the staining re-appear? I'm wondering if mine is a unique case or if this is more widespread.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2006, 06:16 PM

The sig is all in good humor. Hence the smiley at the end.
it is also two lines to long according to the signature rules

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2006, 06:44 PM

It's amazing to me that this thread turned into a discussion about (what I thought was) an obvious joke in my sig, instead of its intended purpose, that is, a discussion about Apple's apparent dropping of the ball in this matter. Oh well.
Note that your sig violates the forum rules: too many lines

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
No. My BlackBook is absolutely perfect.

raekwon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 11:01 AM

Wow...

ShaunaBlair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 11:23 AM

I'll pose a question to get us back on track here . . . is there anyone else here who has had a staining issue, had the plastics replaced, and then had the staining re-appear? I'm wondering if mine is a unique case or if this is more widespread.

My white MacBook is a week 21 as well, but has not experienced any discoloring. Now, I sent it in for the random shut down problem and they also replaced that top case over the keyboard that has been known to discolor for some reason unkown to me. *shrugs*
Have you sent it directly into Apple, or just taken it to an Apple store?
I hope your problem is solved- don't get too discouraged, Apple is great with repairing things and taking care of their customers!
MacBook (white), 2.0ghz, 512mb ram, 60gb hd : Ipod Shuffle, 512 MB

wako
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 01:03 AM

my blackbook also stains....

no wait, its just oil on my hands

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 01:10 AM

White MacBook Owners:

I found the solution to clean the stained Macbook. Go to Target or Walmart and buy Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Damp on a little bit of water, squeeze until all the water comes out of the sponge and clean it very gently.

Use it only once a month. It works wonders. It has no smells or chemicals.

DONT USE IT ON THE BLACK MACBOOKS!
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

wako
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 11:22 AM

why would black macbooks need such a thing? A damp cloth does wonders for us

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by thiagofll
White MacBook Owners:

I found the solution to clean the stained Macbook. Go to Target or Walmart and buy Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Damp on a little bit of water, squeeze until all the water comes out of the sponge and clean it very gently.

Use it only once a month. It works wonders. It has no smells or chemicals.

DONT USE IT ON THE BLACK MACBOOKS!

Many people have reported that it doesn't work.

oiosnap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 10:29 PM

I think this is all nonsense. My macbook is about two months old and it's still pristine.
I use it everyday in various places and it's still perfect.

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Many people have reported that it doesn't work.

It worked for my macbook. The person who it didnt work for, probably needs a two hour hand scrubbing, bc that sponge cleans anything....
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by thiagofll
It worked for my macbook. The person who it didnt work for, probably needs a two hour hand scrubbing, bc that sponge cleans anything....

Remember the way it works is by sanding it on a microscopic level so you keep that up and your really sanding off layers of plastic.

kapkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by oiosnap
I think this is all nonsense. My macbook is about two months old and it's still pristine.
I use it everyday in various places and it's still perfect.

Just because it didnt happen to yours doesnt mean it is non-sense. It definitely happened to mine, but Apple replaced it without any trouble.
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 05:41 PM

About the BlackBook issue:

I was actually at the Tysons Corner, VA Apple Store this past weekend to look at MacBooks and MBP's, and I noticed that at least one of the BlackBooks seemed to have some significant flaking/chipping on the sides and the bottom. It seems like pieces of the black rubber or whatever were gonne, and there was a sort of shinier black underneath.

What exactly would cause this? Is it something rare, in fact? I didn't believe the initial reports of BlackBook flaking, but it did seem significant at least on that one model.

I'm curious about what might cause this; I assume it has something to do with it's nature as a demo machine (but if that was the case, it seems odd that the other BlackBooks at the Apple Store wouldn't have exhibited any significant flaking).

Juba310
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 08:56 PM

Just found that my macbook white was staining a few days ago. I took it to Apple in Manhattan Village today; spoke with a genius and it all went smooth. They replaced my entire Macbook with a new one, transferred the harddrive contents (sans bootcamp) and took out my 2gigs of Patriot ram of the old one. Service was top notch, I plan on getting the 2 year extension of apple care too, now.

mrplow
Aug 10, 2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69
Black is not a color. It's the absence of color.
white light is the mixture of every color

however, with regard to pigments, white is the absence of any pigment (and thus there is no such thing as a white pigment). in this respect, black is the combinaiton of every color.

nit picking is fun...

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrplow
white light is the mixture of every color

however, with regard to pigments, white is the absence of any pigment (and thus there is no such thing as a white pigment). in this respect, black is the combinaiton of every color.

nit picking is fun...
This isn't actually accurate; even with pigments and paints, white is still a color. There is a white pigment (it isn't the absence of any pigment), and that's not true to say there is no such thing as a white pigment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White

White is a color (more accurately, it contains all the colors of the visible spectrum and is sometimes described as an achromatic color—black is the absence of color) that has high brightness but zero hue. The impression of white light can be created by mixing (via a process called "additive mixing") appropriate intensities of the primary color spectrum: red, green and blue, but it must be noted that the illumination provided by this technique has significant differences from that produced by incandescence (see below).
and

Paint

In painting, white can be created by reflecting ambient light from a white pigment, although the ambient light must be white light, or else the white pigment will appear the color of the light. White when mixed with black produces gray. To art students, the use of white can present particular problems, and there is at least one training course specializing in the use of white in art.

There are various white pigments. Lead white, also known as flake white, is the traditional white pigment, but it is not much used now as it is toxic. Non-toxic alternatives are zinc white and titanium white. They are made from zinc oxide and titanium dioxide respectively.
and

Until Newton's work became accepted, most scientists believed that white was the fundamental color of light; and that other colors were formed only by adding something to light. Newton demonstrated this was not true by passing white light through a prism, then directing the individual colored beams through another prism. If the colors were added by the prism, the second prism should have added further colors to the single-colored beam. Since the single-colored beam remained a single color, Newton concluded that the prism merely separated the colors already present in the light. White light is the effect of combining the visible colors of light in equal proportions.

In the science of lighting, there is a continuum of colors of light that can be called "white". One set of colors that deserve this description are the colors emitted, via the process called incandescence, by a black body at various relatively-high temperatures. For example, the color of a black body at a temperature of 2848 kelvins matches that produced by domestic incandescent light bulbs. It is said that "the color temperature of such a light bulb is 2848 K". The white light used in theatre illumination has a color temperature of about 3200 K. Daylight has a nominal color temperature of 5400 K (called equal energy white), but can vary from a cool red up to a bluish 25,000 K. Not all black body radiation can be considered white light: the background radiation of the universe, to name an extreme example, is only a few kelvins and is quite invisible.

mrplow
Aug 10, 2006, 12:47 PM

i love it

ok, so my quick googling which yielded an article stating 'no such thing as a white pigment' was wrong- however, the statement does remain true when discussing biological pigments. when a part of your body is white- it is due to the lack of any color pigments being present. (albino's being the extreme case.

"There are two main categories of albinism in humans: oculocutaneous and ocular. In oculocutaneous albinism, pigment is missing from the hair, eyes, and skin. In ocular albinism, only the eyes lack pigment. People with oculocutaneous albinism can have no pigment to almost normal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism

but even if I'm wrong, let's drop it as this couldn't possibly be any more off topic

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 11, 2006, 10:48 AM

Does it all really matter. Just get some protection.

myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

raekwon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaydon34
Does it all really matter.
Indeed it does. If Apple's solution to an acknowledged manufacturing defect is to replace it with the same manufacturing defect, then that's a problem.

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 13, 2006, 02:54 PM

Indeed it does. If Apple's solution to an acknowledged manufacturing defect is to replace it with the same manufacturing defect, then that's a problem.

I was jk man. Infact I was a little pissed when my 3 month old macbook had to be repaired. But I do like the marware protection kit its cool.

quilmes
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 01:52 PM

My replacement plastics have also started showing the dreaded yellow stains again as well. I wonder if I'll have a harder time getting them replaced down at the old Apple Store now. Raekwon--have you taken yours back in?

raekwon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 11:32 PM

I don't plan on taking it back in for a while. A cosmetic issue isn't worth repeatedly taking it to the Genius Bar if they're just going to replace it with the same stuff. I'm actually about to try a good ol' Magic Eraser to see if that does anything.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by jaydon34
But I do like the marware protection kit its cool.
Protecting your laptop is fine, but if you need to get that to stop staining there is a problem that is not acceptable on these machines.

tjash1991
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 12:55 AM

I, Like most of u after 10 days had some problems with my White macbook. The thing kept turning blue, and so I would have to get out the nailpolish remover, i thought it was just me but I heard about this happening to other people so I brought it to my apple store and told them i wanted to return it because it kept randomly shutting down. I wanted a black macbook and told them that but the guy said I couldnt upgrade and I would just have to take a replacement 1099.99 model I bought, finally he got the manager and by that time I just wanted to return the thing and go to Compusa and the manager was very rude. She told me, I had to pay the 109.00 restocking fee because my computer was defective! She said it had to be sealed in order to forfiet the 109.00 restocking fee. I was outraged. By that time they had a blackbook sitting out and so I said just give me that, that way I didnt need to pay the 109.00 fee. I payed the difference and immediatly said "I want to return this. Its brand new, sealed and everything" and they had to return it for me because of their policy. I went right over to compusa and they gave me the Blackbook for 1399.99 as a special and gave me the applecare for 150.00, I was extrememely happy.

Right now I dont regret buying the Blackbook and found the cleaning cloth came with my D&G Gold V3i works perfect in getting the oils off the keys and wristpad. I am so glad I dont have to worry about discolotion now.

Just in case, where can I find one of those Marware protection things?

muaddib420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 08:28 AM

i'm glad you got what you wanted in the end, but i think you did a crappy thing getting there. just my opinion, but you really sounded like a jerk and if i were the manager of the apple store, i'd be glad to be rid of you.

Originally Posted by tjash1991
I, Like most of u after 10 days had some problems with my White macbook. The thing kept turning blue, and so I would have to get out the nailpolish remover, i thought it was just me but I heard about this happening to other people so I brought it to my apple store and told them i wanted to return it because it kept randomly shutting down. I wanted a black macbook and told them that but the guy said I couldnt upgrade and I would just have to take a replacement 1099.99 model I bought, finally he got the manager and by that time I just wanted to return the thing and go to Compusa and the manager was very rude. She told me, I had to pay the 109.00 restocking fee because my computer was defective! She said it had to be sealed in order to forfiet the 109.00 restocking fee. I was outraged. By that time they had a blackbook sitting out and so I said just give me that, that way I didnt need to pay the 109.00 fee. I payed the difference and immediatly said "I want to return this. Its brand new, sealed and everything" and they had to return it for me because of their policy. I went right over to compusa and they gave me the Blackbook for 1399.99 as a special and gave me the applecare for 150.00, I was extrememely happy.

Right now I dont regret buying the Blackbook and found the cleaning cloth came with my D&G Gold V3i works perfect in getting the oils off the keys and wristpad. I am so glad I dont have to worry about discolotion now.

Just in case, where can I find one of those Marware protection things?

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 12:13 PM

You can get the Mareware protection kit from their site www.marware.com or from any local Apple store. But Im not sure if your allowed back in .............jk

azncreazion
Aug 19, 2006, 07:23 PM

I just noticed my macbook staining blue, and I have had this plastic cover over it since I got it back from the Apple Store where they replaced my top case. THIS SUCKS!

tjash1991
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by muaddib420
i'm glad you got what you wanted in the end, but i think you did a crappy thing getting there. just my opinion, but you really sounded like a jerk and if i were the manager of the apple store, i'd be glad to be rid of you.

How was it rude, how am I a jerk? I tried to explain kindly that I wanted to return this because it was defective and he refused telling me I needed the same model and I wanted the black version.

So the manager proceeded to tell me I had to get another one, and that I coudnt return it, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS DEFECTIVE, unless I payed a 109.00 stocking fee.

If I had bought it from Compusa or any other store for that matter - there policy is, if it is defective rturn it in 14-21 days for a full refund - no restocking fees, nothing. Apple says even though its defective and within the 14 days, you have to pay the 109.00 restocking fee.

Also the manager really couldnt help with anything, she just told me that I had to take the black one now or pay 109.00 and thats when I got mad, you cant tell me some BS policy, when I clearly read what it states on the receipt the proper return policy. Then she proceeded to tell me she didnt need to be be attacked and she didnt need to stand here and take it, and walked away from me.

I mean how was I so rude, I started off kindly telling them my problem and they refused to help me.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by tjash1991

If I had bought it from Compusa or any other store for that matter - there policy is, if it is defective rturn it in 14-21 days for a full refund - no restocking fees, nothing. Apple says even though its defective and within the 14 days, you have to pay the 109.00 restocking fee.

No their policy is actually exchange it for a new unit. They'll let you exchange it as much as you need but if you choose to return it there is a restocking fee. Of course you'll argue this so the fact that I just told you that is moot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules