Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MIP in 10.3?

MIP in 10.3?
headbirth
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 01:57 PM

Hi, was just wondering if anyone had heard whether Apple will add MIP back into the Dock for 10.3.

Such a useful tool, so much better than window shading.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2003, 02:26 PM

I would think not... I would love to see it as an option, but if you turned it on... it would be hard for those who didn't know how to use a Mac (or didn't use on all that much)

I'm probably one of the only people that like the fact that Apple doesn't let you go crazy with the GUI... Keeps everything simple for those of us that have people F@#$ing up their systems with themes, add ons etc.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 02:57 PM

Unsanity has posted a preview release of windowshade 3 with MIP. It however still needs a lot of work and is buggy, but shows a lot of promise.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 08:37 PM

Unsanity's is great, but nowhere close to Apple's implementation (at least what was in that Jag-wire beta).

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 09:50 PM

I'd love to see it, also.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I would think not... I would love to see it as an option, but if you turned it on... it would be hard for those who didn't know how to use a Mac (or didn't use on all that much)
That's why it should be there, but off by default. There's a similar function in most X Window systems that is totally great, it's really handy for programs like Maya where the number of windows you can have open at one time quickly gets out of hand.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2003, 11:45 PM

MIP = Expos�

Maybe?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jun 22, 2003, 01:28 AM

No, Expose is pretty different. Expose just lets you see all the windows on your screen at once by moving and shading them in a certain way; no actual minimization takes place.

At least according to that leaked screenshot.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2003, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
No, Expose is pretty different. Expose just lets you see all the windows on your screen at once by moving and shading them in a certain way; no actual minimization takes place.

well if this is true then that last screenshot is a total fake, all the windows are shrunken (albeit not to the extent of MIP)

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 04:57 AM

Expose looks like it half-MIPs all windows so you can find a particular window. It's like what Windows does when you minimize all windows. But better.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:

I think that Expos� is an evolution of MIP - the windows are smaller. I wonder if Expos� is handled by the dock.app...?

Forum Links
Forum Rules