Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > idisk terribleness, help?

idisk terribleness, help?
iamnotmad
Senior User
Dec 4, 2008, 02:16 PM

Hi, my iDisk has pretty much been useless due to speed or errors since I've been a .mac/mobile me subscriber. I really need and want to use it now.

I am constantly getting the dreaded -36 error. I've been through the troubleshooting stuff on apples website, but it still fails.

Is there any more reliable way to copy stuff to your idisk other than webdav? I guess the days of connecting over afp are looonng gone. Any utility that is more robust perhaps than the finder at xfering files?

Any other tips, not on apple support for this?
Thanks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 03:49 PM

WebDav is not the problem, it's iDisk itself, AFAIK.

And even if it wasn't, WebDav is the only way to transfer files to iDisk.

Perhaps you should consider a different webhoster, one that allows FTP, SFTP and SSH.
With MacFusion, you can even mount (S)FTP like regular volumes.

-t

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 03:58 PM

I use Transmit. Infinitely faster at accessing your iDisk. As it stands now, I get a -50 error when trying to connect to my iDisk anyway so Finder isn't an option.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I use Transmit. Infinitely faster at accessing your iDisk. As it stands now, I get a -50 error when trying to connect to my iDisk anyway so Finder isn't an option.
But Transmit still uses WebDav, right ? How exactly does it achieve the faster speed ?

-t

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
But Transmit still uses WebDav, right ? How exactly does it achieve the faster speed ?

-t
I can't explain why it's faster... but believe me when I tell you. Transmit is definitely faster than using Finder to access your iDisk. Both file transfer and folder navigation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I can't explain why it's faster... but believe me when I tell you. Transmit is definitely faster than using Finder to access your iDisk. Both file transfer and folder navigation.
Oh, I do believe you.

I was just wondering how they do it. Maybe someone like Besson can explain.

-t

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 04:28 PM

I think the problem is that the Finder has a whole bunch of extra crap (technical term us IT folks use) embedded in it that isn't necessary (with regard to accessing the iDisk).

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Dec 4, 2008, 04:37 PM

Well, I just tried Transmit and it worked on a 111MB file that refused to get onto my iDisk with the Finder. Not sure if it was faster, but it was not slower.

Most importantly though, it worked. What sucks is that this is all I would use transmit for and iDisk from the finder SHOULD work. Very sad.

Thank you Atheist.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by iamnotmad View Post
Thank you Atheist.
My pleasure. I've always been disappointed by the fact that I can't reliably use Finder to access my iDisk. Maybe Snow Leopard will fix it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules