Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does the Apple Education Store Actually Check if You Are a Student?

Does the Apple Education Store Actually Check if You Are a Student?
el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2002, 11:39 PM

I'm going to buy the Quicksilver 800, a deal only available to education customers. Will I need to have any proof of my school on hand or what? I've gone through the majority of the process, and they never give any indication of caring if you are actually eligible for the deal.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2002, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by el lindo:
I'm going to buy the Quicksilver 800, a deal only available to education customers. Will I need to have any proof of my school on hand or what? I've gone through the majority of the process, and they never give any indication of caring if you are actually eligible for the deal.
They used to make you sigh a document saying you were a student but they don't anymore. I have never been checked myself. (My college requires the student to be notified when a third party requests any data about them).
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

milhous
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2002, 02:10 AM

If I remember correctly, when I bought my Pismo in the summer of 2000 before freshman year of college, I had to agree that I was an enrolled student. Furthermore, I believe it also said that Apple regularly conducts audits on sales to ensure discount compliance. And if they find that you did not qualify for the discount, they would charge you the full retail price of your order. But I haven't ordered from them since, so I don't know if it's changed.
F = ma

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 01:37 AM

All education sales require some form or proof that you're a student (school ID, course schedule, acceptance letter, payroll stub).

You will have to fill out a small amount of paperwork.

I had to do this when I got my MDD PowerMac Tower, and just asked about the whole process.

MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 02:23 AM

Last time I bought a machine through the apple edu. online store I didn't have to fill out anything that proved I was a student. This was a little over a year ago.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 12:32 PM

My wife always needs to show her student ID with any purchase at the University Computer store. Online that ask for the university & ID #.

Too Much Coffee Woman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 12:39 PM

they asked for my school id# at one of the checkpoints

try your old school id and buy it.

see what happens. if anything...they make you pay full amount in which you were supposed to pay all along

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2002, 12:50 PM

I work at a University and they didn't check anything... Then again, you can't buy more then one computer per year...

Oh well...

namannik
Senior User
Dec 6, 2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by PCTek:
All education sales require some form or proof that you're a student (school ID, course schedule, acceptance letter, payroll stub).

You will have to fill out a small amount of paperwork.

I had to do this when I got my MDD PowerMac Tower, and just asked about the whole process.
No, that's not true. I bought some stuff in September from the Apple Online Store, and never had to do any of that.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 11:32 PM

I've bought from Apple's online education store about a 5 times over the past year (starting with an iBook last december). They never checked anything on me.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2002, 12:23 AM

I've only ordered software from the education store, but they never wanted proof my dad's a teacher.

Forum Links
Forum Rules