Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MDCPd process

MDCPd process
m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2004, 01:11 PM

Does anyone know what MDCPd is? It's running as an admin process and taking up 80+% of my CPU.

[EDIT] On further inspection it's found here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/MotorolaSM56K.kext/Contents/Resources/MDCPd

And appears to be in the 10.3.6 update (from this site)

It appears that the modem driver has been updated - but is hitting the CPU hard. Why if I'm not using my modem would it be using so much CPU?

Cheers.
( Last edited by m.brown; Nov 24, 2004 at 01:19 PM. )

bjd773
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by m.brown:
Does anyone know what MDCPd is? It's running as an admin process and taking up 80+% of my CPU.

And appears to be in the 10.3.6 update (from this site)

It appears that the modem driver has been updated - but is hitting the CPU hard. Why if I'm not using my modem would it be using so much CPU?

Cheers.
MDCPd has been on OS X for longer than the 10.3.6 updates. It's something that controls power to the "daughter card" which holds the modem. It's also something which used to be running all the time on my iBook G4 and just this week STOPPED spawning automatically. Now I can no longer dialup to connect to the internet!

I haven't had a chance to test the hardware using the original hardware test DVD, but the modem still appears in the System Profiler, using the Motorola driver you mentioned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules