Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Guess What I Did...help!

Guess What I Did...help!
SDW2001
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2001, 06:29 PM

I, being of sound mind and body, deleted some very important files via the empty trash command. I understand there is software to restore them?

Can anybody reccomend some or tell me what to do?

UGGGGG!

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2001, 02:28 PM

First thing you do, DO NOT WRITE ANY MORE DATA TO THE HARD DISK. When files are deleted using the empty trash command, they are removed from the disk directory, not actually deleted from the disk. However, the directory now lists the space formerly occupied as free. If more data is written, it may actually OVERWRITE your important files, making them impossible to recover.

(54)

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2001, 02:48 PM

TechTool has a recovery feature I believe, but I'm not sure on the specifics of it.. and definitely don't write more data, or else you will push those important files off the hard disk
ice

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2001, 03:13 PM

if those files were part of the system software, you can use tomeviewer to extract what you need from the system discs that came with your machine. if, however, they were documents or third-party applications your best bet would be to use a file recovery program like the ones mentioned above.

-r.

<anonymous>
Jul 15, 2001, 12:40 AM

Hello Media, PA! It truly is a small world on the internet! I think the Norton Utilities has something that is good at that, it's best feature apparently. Good Luck! Don't put any new files on your HD though until you get done attempting to recover as any new files may overwrite the one you are trying to recover.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2001, 12:59 AM

TechToolsPro has to be installed before you delete the files. At least the CP and extension have to be in the System. I think Norton has a file recovery utility that doesn't have to be installed before the deletion takes place--you might want to ask Norton before you spend the money. But definitely do not write more data to the HD, as others have said. Good luck--I know from painful experience how bad this can be
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Woggle
Jul 15, 2001, 02:29 PM

You might also try DiskWarrior(it runs from the CD), its meant for recovering drives that have forgotten everything, but it might also be able to recover your lost files, and I've had wonderful results recovering disks with it(unfortunately).
Woggle
'I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.'-- No. 6

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2001, 01:53 AM

rewind can also recover that data

Forum Links
Forum Rules