Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 86)
Fred33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2007, 09:33 AM

yea I got a PS3 and that is one of the biggest draw backs with the system is the lack of games, but you are right about the first two years. I also have the 360 and that currently is my favorite console right now, but again it is because the games. Can't wait for H3.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2007, 10:06 AM

POS3, Litterbox360, and the Wee Wee.

Long Live the Jaguar!

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 10, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Long Live the Jaguar!
Do the math!!!!!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fred33 View Post
yea I got a PS3 and that is one of the biggest draw backs with the system is the lack of games, but you are right about the first two years. I also have the 360 and that currently is my favorite console right now, but again it is because the games. Can't wait for H3.
I would love to play Halo 1, 2 or 3, but I can't cuz I have a PS3, and I don't game enough to get two different systems. I keep myself warm at night by thinking that the Great PS3 Halo-killing game is just around the corner, and it is, right?

Right?

Please?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2007, 02:57 PM

I've never been a big fan of Halo -- probably because I don't really like online multiplayer games. As one-player games Halo 1 and 2 were good, but not hugely better than any other shooter I've played. (And from the point of view of the story, something like Bioshock is way better IMHO.) From what I understand, where Halo really shines is in multiplayer, because it's very well balanced. Still, I'll be getting Halo 3.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 03:04 PM

Halo, in general, is a silky smooth game. The physics are dead consistent and the gameplay (online at least) is second to none.

The original Halo had a better single player campaign than Halo 2. Halo 2 is great for Xbox Live and is the main reason I'm excited for Halo 3. I couldn't care any less about what happens in the story, I just want to sign in and let the frenzy commence

Fred33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2007, 03:33 PM

Halo 3 will set a new standard for gaming. I can't wait for it to come out. I heard some great things about that multi-player online additions. Like 100 people playing once.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fred33 View Post
Halo 3 will set a new standard for gaming. I can't wait for it to come out. I heard some great things about that multi-player online additions. Like 100 people playing once.
I'm guessing Halo 3 will be the exact same thing Halo 1 and 2 were - a mostly generic FPS game that for some reason gets a HUGE following online. There is nothing original about Halo at all, and nothing about the game that will set any kind of standards.

I don't think 3 is going to be a *bad* game, just not an original one.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 04:48 PM

Halo 3 will be a good single player experience I think. I don't think it will bring much to multiplayer. I'll be getting it though just for being able to use 360 Live Features and the other 360 features you can't use through the XBox emulation environment.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2007, 09:59 PM

Heavenly Sword seems to be getting pretty good reviews. At least all of the PS3 blockbusters aren't tanking. I thought the demo was just OK, but I might look into this.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2007, 10:13 PM

Doesn't it comes out tomorrow?

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 12:08 AM

Yeap, it comes out tomorrow, I think its available on the PSN store already. The only games for PS3 that I want is Modern Warfare, and Folklore...too bad Little Big Planet was delayed

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I've never been a big fan of Halo -- probably because I don't really like online multiplayer games. As one-player games Halo 1 and 2 were good, but not hugely better than any other shooter I've played. (And from the point of view of the story, something like Bioshock is way better IMHO.) From what I understand, where Halo really shines is in multiplayer, because it's very well balanced. Still, I'll be getting Halo 3.
You should check out the System Shock series, one of my fav. story-driven shooters of all time.

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post
I would love to play Halo 1, 2 or 3, but I can't cuz I have a PS3, and I don't game enough to get two different systems. I keep myself warm at night by thinking that the Great PS3 Halo-killing game is just around the corner, and it is, right?

Right?

Please?
Haze looks promising, but I doubt it will stack up against Halo 3 in terms of multi-player and the hype. Your best bet would be Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3, and seems like that will be delayed as well.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
You should check out the System Shock series, one of my fav. story-driven shooters of all time.
Same people as Bioshock even.

Great games. Up there with Fallout 1/2 as my all-timers for the PC.

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 12:28 AM

^ Yeap, too bad EA now has rights to that name for a MMO or a crappy sequel. I hate EA.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2007, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
My wife and I have a policy: we buy a console when it has five games that we're interested in playing. Of the current generation of systems, we ended up with a GameCube, a GBA, a DS, and a PS2. The XBox only ever managed one game -Fable- while the PSP is holding at three.

Of the next generation, the XBox 360 currently has zero (one if you count Fable). The PS3 currently has three, but we've made an exception for this one: we're waiting until it has either ten games or five and a reasonable pricetag. The Wii, by contrast, currently has eight games that we're interested in, so it will probably be the first of the three that we get.

We'll probably get the PS3 eventually; they've got enough going for them that they'll eventually fulfill our criteria. I have my doubts about the XBox 360, though. Microsoft is trying to take over the industry through the 3G formula, and my wife and I don't buy into that BS. On the other hand, they do have Hironobu Sakaguchi -someone who actually understands how to make a good game- on their side now, so maybe they'll surprise us with something.

My biggest prediction for the industry, however, is that it's at a crossroads, and its name is Final Fantasy XV. XIV will be on the PS3, of course, but after that, Square's exclusivity contract with Sony ends. I don't think Square-Enix will be willing to renew that contract; the price of the PS3 will be too much of a barrier for gamers, and it won't do as well as people had hoped. I don't know whether Square will go with Nintendo or Microsoft, or possibly just go cross-system, but whatever way Square goes, the industry will follow.
Holy crap man, u have NO interest in current 360 titles?? What genres are you into? I have more AAA games to play than I know that to do with this year!

Every game I have in my selective 360 collection is a must-own for my personal tastes, I don't mess around with anything other than the best games, I simply don't get enough gaming time to waste on anything but must-play titles... even with Bioshock, Oblivion, Gears of War, Guitar Hero II, Forza 2, Burnout Revenge (my top 6), you have no interest? Are you a J-RPG only man or somethin?

*EDIT: please ignore this post.. Accidentally replied to a page 1 post
( Last edited by pyrite; Sep 12, 2007 at 10:04 PM. )
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2007, 09:56 PM

^ Yeap, too bad EA now has rights to that name for a MMO or a crappy sequel. I hate EA.
whoaa that sucks
EA=whoredom

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post

Right?

Please?
haha an honest PS3 owner with a sense of humor

kudos, my good sir!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 01:26 PM

Wii is officially the #1 system of the next gen wars:

GameDaily BIZ: Report: Nintendo Storms Back to Top of Industry; Wii Now #1

I didn't think it would beat the 360 ever, so I can't say my predictions were accurate (not that I don't like the Wii being #1). But this still flies in the face of the Sony fanboys who said it wouldn't sell...

IMO Nintendo seems to have the momentum to keep this lead going for the long term.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 01:34 PM

I thought Bethusda was working on the sequel?

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 01:35 PM

Yeah, I saw it was closing in on next gen wars. I'd love to see a poll that asked what is it that made it to popular: Price, games, innovation, reliability, or a lack of viable alternatives.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2007, 02:29 PM

Wii titles that I'm looking forward to:
The Simpsons game
Manhunt 2
Super Mario Galaxy

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post

I didn't think it would beat the 360 ever, so I can't say my predictions were accurate (not that I don't like the Wii being #1). But this still flies in the face of the Sony fanboys who said it wouldn't sell...

IMO Nintendo seems to have the momentum to keep this lead going for the long term.
This was only a matter of time. Congrats to Nintendo for creating a machine with such a wide appeal, clearly it was a good strategy - DS's success is further proof of that. Personally I don'y own one yet, but with Zelda/RE4/MP3 out, and Galaxy on the way, it's a mighty freaking tempting idea.
Unfortunately I'm a graphics whore which taints my view of the wii, for all but its best games (which have gameplay so fun I don't care about lo-def ugliness)..

How the hell they managed such success with a slightly souped-up motion-sensitive gamecube is beyond me, but clearly they know what they're doing! A massive share of 360/PS3 owners have a wii sitting next to their main machine, which is where I believe the genius of the wii lies.

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 13, 2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I thought Bethusda was working on the sequel?
Sorry, I meant to say "System Shock" name; not "Fallout"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2007, 09:44 AM

Nah, price doesn't matter. The PS3 will be #1 you'll see!

Wii: 9 million
360: 8.9 million
PS3: 3.7 million

P.S. I believe it was Microsoft who said the first to 10 million wins.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2007, 03:14 PM

"wins" what?
the others don't go anywhere.
we don't have time to stop for gas

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 03:34 PM

The marketshare battle.

Apparently they though they could stop producing content after 10 million.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 01:45 AM

NPD: Xbox 360 August Sales Surpass PlayStation 2, Doubles PS3

Wii: 403600
DS: 383000
360: 276000
PS2: 202000
PSP: 151200
PS3: 130600 <-- Ouch

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2007, 02:01 AM

Aaaaannnd the other shoe drops.

PaperNotes
Sep 19, 2007, 03:33 AM

I fail to see why a comparison of any kind is made with the Wii or how these sales figures mean anything.

The XBox 360 came out much earlier, at a lower price and built a larger library. It is aimed at hardcore console gamers.
The PS3 came out late at a high price and is aimed at a higher spending proportion of the market. It's a hardcore gaming console with many multimedia options.
The Wii is a low cost party toy that is fun for family and friends. It isn't a hardcore gaming console.

Wii: 403600
DS: 383000
360: 276000
PS2: 202000
PSP: 151200
PS3: 130600
Don't know why anyone puts the Wii and the two handhelds next to sales figures of hardcore gaming consoles. Might as well add PCs and graphics cards to it if we are going to be that broad. It's like comparing sales of Fords and Porsches.

Nevertheless I hope you realize that all the sales figures above are good and it shows how broad the market is for many gaming devices.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
I fail to see why a comparison of any kind is made with the Wii or how these sales figures mean anything.

The XBox 360 came out much earlier, at a lower price and built a larger library. It is aimed at hardcore console gamers.
The PS3 came out late at a high price and is aimed at a higher spending proportion of the market. It's a hardcore gaming console with many multimedia options.
The Wii is a low cost party toy that is fun for family and friends. It isn't a hardcore gaming console.

Don't know why anyone puts the Wii and the two handhelds next to sales figures of hardcore gaming consoles. Might as well add PCs and graphics cards to it if we are going to be that broad. It's like comparing sales of Fords and Porsches.

Nevertheless I hope you realize that all the sales figures above are good and it shows how broad the market is for many gaming devices.
Because it's a video game console, same as the others. And sales figures mean a lot to the industry.

And all the sales figures are not good. The PS3 is looking more like the Sega Saturn with these numbers...

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 08:23 AM

Aaaaannnd the other shoe drops.
Not quite. When the XBOX360 does that during the holiday season, then you might have it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by DakarÊ’ View Post
Not quite. When the XBOX360 does that during the holiday season, then you might have it.
Yes, Q4 is very important, but these August numbers certainly are not very optimistic for the PS3. Last place overall...

Meanwhile the Wii is continuing with its stellar performance. Basically everyone (except Nintendo?) underestimated the Wii.

PaperNotes
Sep 19, 2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
And all the sales figures are not good.
All those sales are good for one region and one month over the end of the holiday season and start of school year. Every sales figure there is proportionate to the cost of the gaming device, age of the device and size of the games library.

To get a proper picture they should separate the games consoles from games handhelds. They should separate hardcore gaming units from party toys. If they are going to show a mixed bag like that then the number of PCs shipped with good GPUs and sales of PC graphics cards should also be listed, as well as every other gaming device still shipping.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Sep 19, 2007 at 09:19 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 09:09 AM

All those sales are good for one region and one month over the end of the holiday season and start of school year. Every sales figure there is proportionate to the cost of the gaming device, age of the device and size of the games library.

To get a proper picture they should separate the games consoles from games handhelds. They should separate hardcore gaming units from party toys. If they are going to show a mixed back like that then the number of PCs shipped with good GPUs and sales of PC graphics cards should also be listed, as well as every other gaming device still shipping.
No they shouldn't. All of the above are gaming machines.

The most you could suggest is that the portables be separated from the set top consoles, but either way, Sony is getting whupped in both categories.

The bottom line is that Sony's attempt to make the PS3 into a media centre is seriously hampering its ability to gain penetration as a video game console because of its high price. (And the dearth of games isn't helping either.)

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yes, Q4 is very important, but these August numbers certainly are not very optimistic for the PS3. Last place overall...
You're right about that. At the very least it needs to beat out its own offerings (To rise to 4th place), and even then, I wouldn't consider that any kind of victory, but more of keeping a pulse.

PaperNotes
Sep 19, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
No they shouldn't. All of the above are gaming machines.
I said if they are going to be that broad and general then gaming PCs and graphics cards should be added too, as well as any other gaming device including iPods, N-Gages etc

The most you could suggest is that the portables be separated from the set top consoles, but either way, Sony is getting whupped in both categories.
You always argue for categories when it comes to high definition video (PS3 consoles, PCs, and stand alone players should be separated right??) If you are going to apply that logic to your Blu-ray vs HD-DVD arguments why not here? When Blu-ray disc whoops HD-DVD disc sales why are you also not applying the same sales chart argument there?

Ah, so it was a Sony-hate thing all along and nothing to do with what consumers get out of the products they want. No wonder the same characters here are over in that thread.

So count me out of this talk. I don't want to waste a breath, second, penny or calorie on hypocrisy. Continue where you were.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
We all know that PS3, as enormous as its potential is, is a dog to develop for. highly unconventional hardware always is.

Of course developers don't say it outright.
And I'll say it again to be clear:

That's what developers said about the PS2.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I'm guessing Halo 3 will be the exact same thing Halo 1 and 2 were - a mostly generic FPS game that for some reason gets a HUGE following online. There is nothing original about Halo at all, and nothing about the game that will set any kind of standards.

I don't think 3 is going to be a *bad* game, just not an original one.
You should read the article in Wired about Halo 3. You'll change your mind.

PaperNotes
Sep 19, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post

And Geekbench shows that the X Box 360 isn't much more powerful than an iPhone and the PS3 about the same as a G5 1.6Ghz.

What people theorize and spread as truth isn't always true. Good developers know what they are doing. The real problem is when they try to develop for too many platforms and have to meet a deadline.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Heavenly Sword seems to be getting pretty good reviews. At least all of the PS3 blockbusters aren't tanking. I thought the demo was just OK, but I might look into this.
In a word: Amazing. I love this game. It's short, VERY short, but WOW! Whoever says that the PS3 is "hard to code for" is full of sh*t; this game is proof. Controls are easy to handle, the voice acting is the best I've heard in a videogame (maybe on par with FF XII), and the replay value after you finish will keep you playing.

Gamespot gave it an 8, readers gave it an 8.1.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 09:40 AM

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core sells half a million copies in its first week

Video Game Chartz - Nintendo - Sony - Microsoft - News

And the rumor is that Squeenix will announce a Final Fantasy VII remake this week for the PS3.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 09:44 AM

classic. I saw this during the Giants game.

YouTube - Want to Get Away

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 10:27 AM

I said if they are going to be that broad and general then gaming PCs and graphics cards should be added too, as well as any other gaming device including iPods, N-Gages etc

You always argue for categories when it comes to high definition video (PS3 consoles, PCs, and stand alone players should be separated right??) If you are going to apply that logic to your Blu-ray vs HD-DVD arguments why not here? When Blu-ray disc whoops HD-DVD disc sales why are you also not applying the same sales chart argument there?

Ah, so it was a Sony-hate thing all along and nothing to do with what consumers get out of the products they want. No wonder the same characters here are over in that thread.

So count me out of this talk. I don't want to waste a breath, second, penny or calorie on hypocrisy. Continue where you were.
There are three gaming console companies - Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. They each make a gaming console for the current generation of games that are carried by national retailers. Please explain why we should leave Nintendo out of the sales figures, especially since they are currently outselling the others.

The only way you could argue for leaving out Wii sales is if you're a bitter PS3 fanboy that doesn't want to be in third place in the console wars.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 10:30 AM

You should read the article in Wired about Halo 3. You'll change your mind.
I can't find anything. Got a link?

In a word: Amazing. I love this game. It's short, VERY short, but WOW! Whoever says that the PS3 is "hard to code for" is full of sh*t; this game is proof. Controls are easy to handle, the voice acting is the best I've heard in a videogame (maybe on par with FF XII), and the replay value after you finish will keep you playing.

Gamespot gave it an 8, readers gave it an 8.1.
From what I hear it is a very cool game. But that has nothing to do with how easy/hard it was to code it.

But as you said, that doesn't really matter, as that is what was said about the PS2 as well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 10:44 AM

You have to actually *gasp* go to a bookstore and buy the mag.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 10:50 AM

Not gonna happen. I'll see if I can find it online.

Edit - is it this one: Halo 3: How Microsoft Labs Invented a New Science of Play

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2007, 11:54 AM

But the PS2 was cheap. People bought it because it was cheap. Because people bought it, it had a large market share. Because it had a large market share, people developed games for it.

This time around the PS3 is selling very slowly, meantime the Wii has a large marketshare, and suddenly game developers are dropping the Wii for the PS3.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2007, 12:35 PM

The PS2 was most definitely not cheap back when people were saying things like that about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules