Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 81)
DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 12:42 PM

Oh I get it, you're just getting a different one.

You made it sound like you were happier just having a last generation console in the other post.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2007, 01:42 PM

Oh yeah definately. Im travelling over the summer so come september/october ill pick one up (with Zelda and Excite truck again) and hopefully mario and metroid.

Anyone know where i can watch a feed from the Nintendo E3 event ?

highstakes
Senior User
Jul 11, 2007, 03:03 PM

Gamespot

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Starman..... Nintendo is worth more than Sony, and im buying my second Wii soon, how many PS3s have you baught ? im no gonna ask about XB360's cause im sure ur on ur fourth or fifth on by now

Cheers
Y'know, I don't know why you continue to be a *********. No, I'm not on my 4th or 5th. My 1st one is just fine, thank you. I bought an Elite specifically for the HDMI output. I haven't traded the first one in yet but I plan on it.

I still have my first PS3, just like I had one PS2 that I kept for 7 years before I traded it in two or so weeks ago since we have a second one in the house for the kids.

"baught"?

And yes, the family turns the 360 on more than the Wii. I don't care if N is worth more than anyone, I still think the 360 is the better machine.

EDIT: And so what if N is worth more? Does that mean you jump ship to every company that's worth more than the competition? How's that copy of Vista working out for you?
( Last edited by starman; Jul 11, 2007 at 03:57 PM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2007, 03:52 PM

Oh yeah definately. Im travelling over the summer so come september/october ill pick one up (with Zelda and Excite truck again) and hopefully mario and metroid.

Anyone know where i can watch a feed from the Nintendo E3 event ?
You probably can't because Nintendo doesn't feel that their users know anything about streaming video

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2007, 06:41 PM

is that some sort of a Nerd v.2 joke ? whatever....

All i gotta say to you starman is...'told you so....twice'.

To the other respectful gamers in here, hope you enjoy your respective consoles .... competition is great, and its good to see all 3 competing so hard. I reckon the next 6-7 months will see a lot of great software come out for the 3.

Cheers

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2007, 06:49 PM

Hmm... No PS3 rumble for now, I guess.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2007, 07:07 PM

is that some sort of a Nerd v.2 joke ? whatever....

All i gotta say to you starman is...'told you so....twice'.

To the other respectful gamers in here, hope you enjoy your respective consoles .... competition is great, and its good to see all 3 competing so hard. I reckon the next 6-7 months will see a lot of great software come out for the 3.

Cheers
Told me so...WHAT? What are you smoking?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 11:00 AM

Sony has just announced they are discontinuing the 60 GB PS3 that they just dropped the price on.

E3: No more 60GB PlayStation 3 in US after July, says Reeves // GamesIndustry.biz

Way to go Sony.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 11:16 AM

What a bunch of dumbasses.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 11:24 AM

Seriously. I was even considering picking one up until I remembered there were no games worth getting for it. So I figured I'd just wait until the fall when the games would be there. Now, **** you Sony.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

highstakes
Senior User
Jul 13, 2007, 11:25 AM

Good job Sony!!

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 11:33 AM

Not to state the obvious, but I think it's just a move to save money by no longer manufacturing the emotion engine from the PS2 and moving towards the European version where the hardware is emulated.

Holston
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2007, 01:10 PM

I like Xbox360, it has an excellent controller and multiplayer functions (live)

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 01:15 PM

CRN Australia Reports...

Microsoft has admitted that every one of the 11.6 million Xbox 360 consoles sold in the past 19 months suffers from a design flaw that could cause the device to fail.

The firm will extend the warranty coverage from one to three years to compensate consumers, but does not plan to instate a recall or exchange programme.

Microsoft gaming chief Robbie Bach claimed in a conference call with financial analysts that the design issues surfaced recently.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĘ’ View Post
Not to state the obvious, but I think it's just a move to save money by no longer manufacturing the emotion engine from the PS2 and moving towards the European version where the hardware is emulated.
That should be obvious, yes. The problem is the 80 gig system is cheaper to produce than the 60 gig, but they're increasing the price and throwing in a game to make it seem like consumers aren't getting screwed. But they are. ****ing Sony.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
The problem is the 80 gig system is cheaper to produce than the 60 gig, but they're increasing the price and throwing in a game to make it seem like consumers aren't getting screwed. But they are. ****ing Sony.
I thought that was obvious. Though I don't see how they're increasing the price. They're merely introducing an upgraded model at the old price-point.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 02:52 PM

What I want to know, is since they keep referring 'current stock', will the current US model 60GB SKU be replaced by the new 60GB SKU and they keep the current $499 price. The US version is the only one that still has the Emotion chip, all the others are using software emulation, that I'm sure is what has dropped the cost of development. I would think since the 80GB is a bundle at $599, will there be a base model 80GB version at $499 at that point. But who knows...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 02:59 PM

SONY (on the price drop): ...another swing and a miss. lol

Microsoft(on defective products): ....whats new ?

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 03:15 PM

I know, this E3 has been patently dysfunctional.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĘ’ View Post
I thought that was obvious. Though I don't see how they're increasing the price. They're merely introducing an upgraded model at the old price-point.
If you consider the price drop to $499 to be valid, then Sony canceling the $499 60 gig sku and only selling the $599 sku would be an increase.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 03:55 PM

I see what you're getting at. I think that's more technical than need be though.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 04:19 PM

It's not an increase, but it feels like one because it was mishandled. They let everyone believe that the price was being reduced to $499. If they had explained the entire situation from the beginning, it would've been seen as somewhat good news (if not as nice as an honest-to-goodness price cut). Instead, they've actually made people angry. Turning a positive into a negative like that is the definition of incompetence.

Between the whole "spend a billion dollars to bail out a business that was barely making any money to begin with" thing with Microsoft and the continued mismanagement with Sony, Nintendo looks pretty good right now. Too bad their games don't seem to appeal to me anymore.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Between the whole "spend a billion dollars to bail out a business that was barely making any money to begin with" thing with Microsoft and the continued mismanagement with Sony, Nintendo looks pretty good right now. Too bad their games don't seem to appeal to me anymore.
Replace games, with game systems, and that covers my view.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 04:31 PM

Well, they're tied together of course. If the Wii games had better graphics and didn't rely so much on gimmicky motion controls, I'd like them better.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 04:37 PM

The "hardcore" of recent years have become such elitist snobs, quibbling over polygons and Mhz that the very purpose of these devices has been forgotten.... it's rediculious. thats imho.

Prediction#3: The so-called "hardcore gamer" of the former playstation-generation will fade into obscurity within this console cycle.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Well, they're tied together of course. If the Wii games had better graphics and didn't rely so much on gimmicky motion controls, I'd like them better.
fair enough..... i respect your opinion. to me..

if i want killer graphics, i go watch a summer blockbuster...the visual experience in unmatched, even by the 7-core PS3.

If i want great sound/audio, personally, a concert is where it's at.

If i want "gaming" the best interactive experience (which is the key ingredient to gaming) is still the Wii and NDS...button mashing is no match imo.

But hey, thats just me.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 13, 2007 at 04:52 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 04:43 PM

It's not polygons and Mhz, it's whether the game looks good or not. You can't get much more basic than that, and the sad fact is that there are actually a lot of Wii games that look worse than Gamecube games.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 04:51 PM

oh there's no question there, i agree, many games look like horrible PS2 ports(i would hardly blame the console for that tho). But if its simply about whether games look good or bad, are you implying that every game released before the Ps3/XB360 (Ps2, GCN, XB, DC,N64, etc...) looked "bad" ?

If its a comparison of other consoles this generation, id say they look fine. but personally, even GCN games still look fine to me, as do some N64, Genesis, NES and atari games.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 05:05 PM

I think what he's saying is with the progression of each cycle of consoles, 'visually' the games, have not improved much on the Wii. You can't deny there hasn't been a big graphic leap from Nintendo since the N64. Doesn't mean the games are any less fun, just from a graphic standpoint it's not exactly 'next-gen', especially compared to a 360 or a PS3.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 05:06 PM

The "hardcore" of recent years have become such elitist snobs, quibbling over polygons and Mhz that the very purpose of these devices has been forgotten.... it's rediculious. thats imho.
Please. Maybe I should call all the Nintendo players elitists because they stress that their games are "innovative" and they don't need "graphics"

There's nothing wrong with wanting a game to look nice. I don't know polygon counts, I don't know processor numbers, I just know what I like.

Prediction#3: The so-called "hardcore gamer" of the former playstation-generation will fade into obscurity within this console cycle.
I'd love the hear your definition of hardcore gamer.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 05:28 PM

One quick thing before I head to the show for the last day. I just wanted to clarify something. I’ve seen a lot of posts this morning related to the 60GB SKU and the comments by SCEE President David Reeves. As we announced this week, SCEA’s product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We will have ample supplies of both
models to meet the needs of consumers for the foreseeable future.
PlayStation.Blog ďż˝ Another E3 Winding Down, Plus a Quick Clarification

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 05:34 PM

Not that it applies to me, but I'll take a wait and see attitude to that.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 07:59 PM

I agree with you on that one. No matter what it IS $499, right now though.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 08:08 PM

Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2007, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Bye Bye: 60GB PlayStation 3 Re-Discontinued - Gizmodo

In other news, Miyamoto has said that Nintendo will be watching for market demand for an HD Wii:
The Miyamoto Interview Collection: The Miyamoto Interview Collection, Part 5 - Kotaku
Great....so now all you people that mocked the double-dippers on the 360 can get laughed at too.

Richard Richard
Jul 14, 2007, 02:58 AM

I have all 3 , and the best by a mile imo is the PS3. Slick user interface , realitively quiet , beautifully made , cool design and lots of clever design touches like the charging of the pads , the camera card input area , the hdmi out , slot loading so there's no chance of breaking a tray , touch sensitive control panel , 4 x usb 2 slots on the front etc etc

Plus the games - when they're not 360 ports are jaw dropping. This console has amazing potential. It also feels built to a standard unlike the 360 that feels like it's built to a price. It reminds me of a mac in many ways

The 360 is SO noisy and unreliable it's a pain to use , amazing graphics and live is excellent , but the noise from the various components destroys anything unless you seriously crank up the volume or wear headphones.

The wii while very quiet is woefully underpowered with visuals that actually seem like a step down from the gamecube despite them sharing identical video circuitry. Odd that.

The gamecube had some really impressive games overall and imo is a better console than the wii..apart from the fan noise.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Richard View Post
The wii while very quiet is woefully underpowered with visuals that actually seem like a step down from the gamecube despite them sharing identical video circuitry. Odd that.
The Wii is more than twice as powerful as the GameCube, and graphically superior (to the GameCube) games *can* be made for it. It's just that Nintendo, and by extension, other developers out there, don't generally believe in taking advantage of that, with the exception of games like Zelda. Hopefully this will change soon.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2007, 05:08 AM

I think the Wii is most Apple-like because:
-small & quiet
-minimalistic design
-white
-the packaging
-innovation (the UI & controls)
-the 'philosophy' of the product

As far as graphics.... in all fairness, the game with arguably the best graphics on the system is literally a direct port of a GCN game (Twilight Princess). While all third parties ignored the system initially (and those that didnt rushed titles out for launch) so many of them started porting over crappy looking PS2 games to try and break even (since Sony failed them as far as market share) financially.

If the *best* we can expect from the Wii graphically is RE4 and Twilight Princess, i'll be happy. the niche(consumers and developers) that want PS3/XB360 visuals, and willing to pay for it will exist for awhile.... but im glad gaming is finally appealing to a wider audience, cause imo after the Genesis/SNES days it seemed like the industy was highacked by a very narrow demogaphic and the rest of us just moved away.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 01:01 PM

So, today I got my first game console... :-)
It's a XBOX with 9 games for 90 bucks, I figured I can always sell it again for this price or turn it into a nice DVD/multimedia hub.
I bought it mainly to play Halo 1 and 2 in cooperative mode and let's see what else is fun. The games are now dirt cheap, plus there's already plenty of stuff available. Maybe I'll get a Gamecube for similar reasons also.

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2007, 01:12 PM

More Sony hilarity ensues. Honestly, I'm too lost to know what's going on anymore.
GameTab - Viewing External Article

E3 2007: Sony Confirms PS3 Price Cut Only Temporary
UPDATE: As a follow-up to this announcement, we asked SCEA about how potential customers might feel ripped off, given the $499 phaseout. Here's what they told us:
"We are offering the full-function 60GB PS3 for $100 less than the original price and we have ample supply to meet consumer needs for months. We think this is great news for the PlayStation fans. Throughout the remainder of the year, we will constantly be evaluating market conditions and will develop strategies to further meet the needs of consumers in this market."
ORIGINAL STORY: Sony Computer Entertainment America announced Monday the price cut in America was official. Sort of. PlayStation 3 launched with $499 and $599 SKUs (for the 20GB and 60BG machines, respectively). SCEA removed the 20GB SKU in April, but now the $499 is back due to a price cut and the $599 is coming back with a copy of MotorStorm and 80GB of hard drive space. Confused? Today, it gets worse.

It all starts because of Sony's European branch. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe President David Reeves told GamesIndustry.biz the $499 SKU will be phased out once the stock on shelves is gone. "All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July," he said.

Wait, maybe he misspoke. Maybe he didn't realize what America was doing. And maybe Kaz Hirai can clarify what's going on with Scandinavian TV show VG TV (as noticed by Next Gen). "[We do not] have a two-SKU strategy in the U.S.; We learned very quickly customers respond better to having one SKU than two. We dropped the price on the 60GB model -- as you know, that model is no longer in production [and] once it's no longer on store shelves it will just be the $600 SKU," said Hirai.

When two executives let things slip, there's a problem. So, is it true? SCEA confirmed to 1UP this morning that the phaseout is happening.

"The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted. We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come. We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2007, 05:40 AM

More developers at E3 talking about the PS3 being a pain in the neck to code for:
Game | Life - Wired Blogs

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2007, 12:39 PM

Honestly, who is this developer and what has she done? Doesn't say in the article.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Honestly, who is this developer and what has she done? Doesn't say in the article.
If they did she probably get canned.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2007, 03:56 PM

Sony both again verified that the 60 gig PS3 is being dropped, and that the old PSP is being dropped too.

IGN: E3 2007: Old PSP to be Phased Out

Honestly, that's a very nice price point for the PSP. Nintendo is going to have to drop the DS's price, or get another update going.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2007, 04:18 PM

I'd pay $499 for a PS3.
we don't have time to stop for gas

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I'd pay $499 for a PS3.
I would too if there was a single game out there right now worth playing. Seems that a launch title is still the best the system has to offer (Resistance). I'm not doubting the future games, but I don't want to plop down $500 right now when the system would basically go unused for at least 6 months (hell, maybe longer).

I actually think the PS3 is a well designed system, I'm just not buying it until the games are there.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2007, 04:38 PM

by looking at their E3 show, man, next year will be Playstation 3s year.
we don't have time to stop for gas

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
by looking at their E3 show, man, next year will be Playstation 3s year.
Which is what was said last year...

I think in the end MGS4 won't be an exclusive, the games supposedly coming next year will see more delays, and more developers will move to other systems.

Honestly, the Sony losing Katamari Damacy is a huge deal. I know a lot of casual gamers who own Playstations just for that game. IMO it's the canary in the mine shaft.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2007, 01:18 AM

I don't mind delays as long as they get it right. Releasing it half-ass to make a release date I hope never is an option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules