Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 64)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2012, 11:50 AM

Going for the chain look
6073/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2012, 05:45 PM

Nice bling.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2012, 08:33 PM

In retrospect, the world anchor looks like a tattoo the badass portal had done

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2012, 05:17 AM

I'm going to have a week of very little Tekkit time, but thought I'd post a few pics before:

6082/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6083/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6084/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6085/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6086/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6087/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6088/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6089/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6090/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
In retrospect, the world anchor looks like a tattoo the badass portal had done
That's why I had to chain it up. It kept getting in my face.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2012, 07:54 AM

While I made a lot of progress on the holodeck this weekend, I got completely sick of it, partially because I think it induced two headaches and also because its tedious as hell. I ended up prepping some tunnel for the rail to my legit (But unused) home and then started on a project I never even included on my last list – the graveyard. I never got around to doing this on the vanilla server and couldn't possibly be more excited to do it now.

On a related note, they need to create super bonemeal or something else than can force trees to grow large consistently. Dirt tubes just don't work like they did back in the 1.6 (?) days on the original server.

Funny side-effect of working on the Holodeck. Thanks to the flying ring's forcefield all one really fears is skeletons and slimes now. Not that either can really kill you but they are a nuisance. I was more focused than usual so I ignored skeletons on the Holodeck floor and when I looked up from a particularly grueling session three music discs were lying around thanks to skeletons killing creepers (also being held at bay). I got another a later session and yet another last night while at the graveyard. Only two dupes out of 5. Crazy.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2012, 08:20 AM

Horribly repetitive building project?

There's a machine for that
http://minecraftbuildcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Builder

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Horribly repetitive building project?
There's a machine for that
http://minecraftbuildcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Builder
Yeah, I was going to use one for those windmills at the village. First, you still need to build an original for it create a template from, necessitating I still do what I'm doing, and second, they removed that feature from the latest build.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2012, 08:32 AM

Oh its the builder in buildcraft 3, maybe the next tekkit version that will have blueprints so it will replicate exactly.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 15, 2012, 12:04 PM

<shudder> that's a heck of a mugshot of me. Gotta change that helmet...

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 16, 2012, 10:46 AM

So I just read that Vanilla Minecraft will be adding Anvils with the next update. Anvils! Looks like everyone gets to channel their inner Wile E. Coyote...

In other news, started messing with EE. ...and soon realized that the difference between advanced EE items and creative mode is ... well... time.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
So I just read that Vanilla Minecraft will be adding Anvils with the next update. Anvils! Looks like everyone gets to channel their inner Wile E. Coyote...
I've been hanging onto a bunch of mostly broken enchanted stuff on the chance of villager trading. It will be fun for a little while. Though to really abuse it you need a good xp grinder. Looks like the only good one left after they nerf spawner xp will be an ender ender.

In other news, started messing with EE. ...and soon realized that the difference between advanced EE items and creative mode is ... well... time.
Your forgetting about world anchors.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2012, 04:35 PM

My first attempt at a MV solar machine. I don't have enough LV solars yet so it won't completely finish.

6121/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6123/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2012, 09:49 AM

EE definitely streamlines the creative process, but so much of what I've done would have been tedious or unfathomable without tools like the mercurial eye. What can suck the life out of minecraft is focusing too much on energy collectors and condensers – I've minimized my usage and aside from emergency situations, prefer to get the majority of my resources from out of the ground.

---

In a related note, I've come to the conclusion that I need build a factory/warehouse and to start entering the automated crafting game like my compatriots. Sadly, I've picked out my building materials and 3 out of 4 aren't EE friendly, necessitating either NEI or grinding.

The big problem is I have no real idea where I should put it, or if it should be a single giant building or multiple. In this regard I'm open to suggestions.

---

cyclopse, I'm interested to get your take on railcraft once you start work on it.

I'm also building a sub-basement in the rail station to open up 6 more tunnels for destinations like cyclopse, blaze and andi.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2012, 10:20 AM

In a related note, I've come to the conclusion that I need build a factory/warehouse and to start entering the automated crafting game like my compatriots. Sadly, I've picked out my building materials and 3 out of 4 aren't EE friendly, necessitating either NEI or grinding.
The big problem is I have no real idea where I should put it, or if it should be a single giant building or multiple. In this regard I'm open to suggestions.
What non-ee materials are they?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2012, 10:26 AM

Iz a secret!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2012, 01:09 PM

I know the micro block saws don't work with the auto crafting table. Well they do but they're one shot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2012, 01:11 PM

The blocks I picked don't do micro. It's a minor detail in the grand scheme.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2012, 01:34 PM

Is anyone else getting a prompt to update their client when they start it?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2012, 01:47 PM

Yep, I ignored it.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 17, 2012, 02:32 PM

---
cyclopse, I'm interested to get your take on railcraft once you start work on it.
I'm also building a sub-basement in the rail station to open up 6 more tunnels for destinations like cyclopse, blaze and andi.
So far I'm reading and plotting. From what I can tell, it was designed by someone who really likes model train layouts, as a lot of the terminology (and simulated tech) is the same. For complex stuff, that's good. Just requires a metric ton of planning. Sadly, the downside is that everything is complex, and in many ways overly complicated. By example, needing to make rails, then separate rail beds, then adding accelerators, decelerators, don't turn here, do turn there...
sigh. Why must we suffer so for art?

For now, I want to get two things working as a test:
  1. A high speed line setup between my home and my "shack" by spawn. I have plans for that abandoned mineshaft (enter maniacal laughter here)
  2. A looping elevator setup from my mine to the surface, and back. Why? To see how viable the elevator tracks are for surface to subterranean transport.

For the record, I expect lots of dying testing #1. Step one, however, is getting to the nether for supplies. That's my next project.

cycl0pse

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 18, 2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yep, I ignored it.
Ok, good to know. The website doesn't even acknowledge that they pushed anything out which is irritating and unnerving.

So far I'm reading and plotting. From what I can tell, it was designed by someone who really likes model train layouts, as a lot of the terminology (and simulated tech) is the same. For complex stuff, that's good. Just requires a metric ton of planning. Sadly, the downside is that everything is complex, and in many ways overly complicated. By example, needing to make rails, then separate rail beds, then adding accelerators, decelerators, don't turn here, do turn there...
sigh. Why must we suffer so for art?
For now, I want to get two things working as a test:
  1. A high speed line setup between my home and my "shack" by spawn. I have plans for that abandoned mineshaft (enter maniacal laughter here)
  2. A looping elevator setup from my mine to the surface, and back. Why? To see how viable the elevator tracks are for surface to subterranean transport.
For the record, I expect lots of dying testing #1. Step one, however, is getting to the nether for supplies. That's my next project.
cycl0pse
Yes, it's tedious as hell. Not to mention slow.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 18, 2012, 11:18 AM

OK, question.
So I know it takes a coke oven 3 minutes to create one lump of coke. It takes 2 lumps to smelt steel from 1 iron. The question: how long does it take a blast furnace to create 1 steel, assuming fuel is there? (I'd check the railcraft wiki, but it and my work firewall don't play nice). I'm working on a setup that will automate the process. 4 chests. A for coal and B for iron as input, C for creosote oil and D for steel as output. As one would assume, a timing circuit will be needed to limit the coal and iron inputs.

Anyone know how long to smelt steel?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 18, 2012, 11:22 AM

Eh, not really. I'd say less than 10 seconds, more than two.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2012, 11:45 AM

OK, question.
So I know it takes a coke oven 3 minutes to create one lump of coke. It takes 2 lumps to smelt steel from 1 iron. The question: how long does it take a blast furnace to create 1 steel, assuming fuel is there? (I'd check the railcraft wiki, but it and my work firewall don't play nice). I'm working on a setup that will automate the process. 4 chests. A for coal and B for iron as input, C for creosote oil and D for steel as output. As one would assume, a timing circuit will be needed to limit the coal and iron inputs.
Anyone know how long to smelt steel?
Don't use a timing circuit. Buildcraft has a pipe that emits a red stone signal when an item goes buy. Redpowr has an item detector machine.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 18, 2012, 12:00 PM

Don't use a timing circuit. Buildcraft has a pipe that emits a red stone signal when an item goes buy. Redpowr has an item detector machine.
even better.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2012, 12:21 PM

For buildcraft:

Use half the circuit I used on my power system in technic that I posted pictures of. Its a "pulse lengthener" build from a t flip flip and a timer to keep the redstone engine running long enough to suck out N.

For Redpower

If you use a Filter to suck the items out of the chest you can put a stack of N in the Filter and it will pull out N in response to the pulse.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2012, 06:49 AM

Blaze, I have a project for you, should you want to accept. I'll be installing two screens (approx 5 x 3 ) in the railstation basement. What would you have them display? Time seems to be a given.It might be cool if they would scroll through destinations (Jawbone's fatty's, etc.). I don't know computercraft which is why I'm coming to you.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2012, 04:00 PM

The servers been dropping Andi pretty frequently. Also all of Seks power cells were empty.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 21, 2012, 10:13 AM

H.S. rail test results.

Running time 28 seconds.
flying time 20 seconds.
H.S. rail: 12 seconds.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2012, 05:14 PM

So I set up a quarry at lvl 20. The though of delivering power to it made me get creative. What this does is send most of the overburden into the lower chest to get made into planks. The planks get fed into the engines. The purplish pipes make it so if the chest or the engines are full it goes into the upper chest instead of onto the floor. It won't run forever on a steady diet of cobble and dirt. But with a decent amount of gravel and coal mixed in it should.

6211/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2012, 06:40 AM

I like the idea. Anyway to exploit the coal vs. charcoal EMC disconnect?

---

Made little progress this weekend. Just can't figure out how to start my industrial park. Didn't help that the filler didn't work in clearing land.

I did do a good amount of work on my mausoleum, only to realize I need to redo it all as smoothstone. FML (Micro blocks).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2012, 07:38 AM

I could but i'm feeding the steam engines wooden planks instead of charcoal / coal because they'll over heat and explode if I do.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2012, 01:16 PM

I remember that sek talked about building a chapel in his town area. sek, you would mind if I used a cathedral-ish structure as my primary building? I've had a project in mind for a while, but is basically a massive church.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 22, 2012, 02:17 PM

sigh... I finally have time to log on and I'm affected by the Amazon outage...

grrr...

...and now I'm in. excellent!.

andi*pandi
Oct 22, 2012, 03:06 PM

Anybody interested on the vanilla server for the Halloween update? Might be fun to go as a group and tackle the new beasties.

Also, may as well post some of the images from the ol' world:

The end in sight

Mrs. Pandi's House of Cookies

Trying to enlist a villager to be my shopkeeper. He wouldn't stay put, and eventually started running with a bad crowd.

Tree complete, leading to cyclopse's rail:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I remember that sek talked about building a chapel in his town area. sek, you would mind if I used a cathedral-ish structure as my primary building? I've had a project in mind for a while, but is basically a massive church.
Not at all, in fact, take one of the longer plots next to your original plot, since that's where the chapel was going to go to begin with.

Also, feel free to make use of any of my machines and/or resources.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Whoa!

Not at all, in fact, take one of the longer plots next to your original plot, since that's where the chapel was going to go to begin with.

Thank ya, feller.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2012, 07:43 AM

Can I steal a big plot too? (I have an idea for your place I've been putting off)

I could but i'm feeding the steam engines wooden planks instead of charcoal / coal because they'll over heat and explode if I do.
Pshhh, explosions? What a minor detail.

(Whoops)

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Mrs. Pandi's House of Cookies
That is fantastic.

---

Two notes:

I redid the mausoleum last night in smooth stone (much better).

I forgot to note that over the weekend I created nether brick paths to all our portals. This helps navigation and helps prevent the road in front of you from exploding should a ghast visit.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 23, 2012, 08:24 AM

Well, I've had good success with the high-speed rail. Definitely faster than flying, but can cause a bit of lag for the rider. Additionally, I like these elevator rails... makes going from surface to tunnel real easy. For those wishing to experiment and not die in the process, here's the "rules of the rail" as I've learned...
  1. For maximum 'manageable' speed, use 14 transition rails at both the start AND END of the high-speed run. Make sure the transition track arrow points toward the high-speed rail on both ends; Calamity ensues if you do not.
  2. I've been placing 1 high speed booster every 30 H.S. tracks. More boosters would maintain top speed longer, but that makes it harder to guarantee a safe slow-down at the end of the run.
  3. Keep the track area well-lit and secure. A random mob creates quite the fireworks when you hit it at speed. Again, calamity ensues. This means that something that lowers the ceiling below 3 blocks, like a micro-block, is a good idea to keep Endermen away.
  4. Have a buffer of 2-3 regular track after the transition tracks. I had issues when a booster track was too close to the transition track. No calamity, just odd reactions.

So, for a visual aid (going back to the dark ages here... ASCII Artwork!) we have:
high speed track..........===
Transition track............ >>> or <<< .
H.S. Booster Track...... ***
Regular track................. ---
powered track.................+++

start +++ --- --- --- >>>(14 booster track)>>> ===(...30 H.S. tracks)=== *** ===(30 H.S. tracks)===<<<(14 booster tracks)<<< --- --- --- +++ end

A word on elevator rails: quite nice. I use two detector rails, a run of redstone wire, and a RS latch to cycle the elevator rail on or off as needed. (hmm, probably should explain that more.) Elevator rail will lift a mine cart when on and safely lower it when off. To turn it on, apply redstone current to the top track: the tracks will power all that are below it. the redstone wire circuit is like so:

(top detector rail) ---- (RS latch A)
(RS latch B) ---- (Top Elevator Rail) AND (bottom detector rail)

The logic works thus: When a cart approaches from below, the detector trips the RS latch to the "rail" side, powering the track for upward movement. When the cart approaches from above, the detector trips the "not rail" side of the latch, turning the rail off for descent. Assuming you're not unlucky and have a cart hit both latches simultaneously, which will burn out the latch, it works great.

Next up: massive steel production facility, automated.

@Andi: all for messing around in vanilla with the Halloween update. Some of the changes look fun. I take it you've been on that side of the server lately?

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2012, 09:31 AM

Have you guys seen the videos of Wither fights? Not pretty. I don't think I even have the right equipment for it. I can make regen potions though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 09:41 AM

Can I steal a big plot too? (I have an idea for your place I've been putting off)
Most certainly, god knows I've focused most of my attention of late on Factory renovations and finishing off the Reactor, and now the town is nothing more than three buildings and a bunch of gaping holes in the ground.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2012, 09:42 AM

Please, my list of unfinished projects grows by the day.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 23, 2012, 11:07 AM

Have you guys seen the videos of Wither fights? Not pretty. I don't think I even have the right equipment for it. I can make regen potions though.
Seen videos? No. Read up on the wither? yes.

shuddered? more than once. you won't catch me creating one, and if I see one I'll hit my long-line out to my 10k away keep and keep my head down until it's over...

Seriously, that thing takes either a good setup "trap" when you spawn it OR a heck of a combat rig and mad skilz to fight it outright. Option 3 is loading up a group to hit it at once, but at that point it's more WOW than Minecraft

beyond that, some of the other mods look mighty fun.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2012, 01:08 PM

If you ever see a video of, probably a group of people, killing a Wither. The next thing to do is search for Doc7m's mindcrack server video. Its anticlimactic. Though they may change the Withers behavior before the update to prevent it from working.

Dakar, you think the big oak trees are hard to grow? Try getting one of these things that looks okay.
6262/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 24, 2012, 07:59 AM

[quote name="The Final Dakar"]
---
I'm also building a sub-basement in the rail station to open up 6 more tunnels for destinations like cyclopse, blaze and andi.[/quote]

OK, now that I've played around some, I can give some more thoughts on railcraft.

First, in my opinion, high speed lines are worth using. They are noticeably faster than flying and don't consume insane amounts of resources to produce (just insane amounts of time: damn you coke furnace). The problem is using them in a complex system safely. One head-on high speed crash will likely ruin the day of everyone involved. Granted, the odds of it happening are low, but why trust luck when you have engineering! One solution is to use their signalling system: a simple "line in use" signal would be enough to keep people off the line until it's clear (or get complex and disable the launchers until the line is safe). The main problem with this is it would consume a LOT of world anchors : I think you'd need one at each destination for it to be stable, but I haven't experimented yet. The second option is less elegant: two rails per line (inbound and outbound). Very resource consuming, yes, but guarantees no head-on collisions.

Second, the "hidden gem" in railcraft has got to be Elevator Tracks. Memo to Mojang: add this to vanilla immediately! The ability to quickly and simply traverse vertically while in a minecart cannot be overrated. Get into cart on the surface, hit button. Now, automatically descend 30 meters to the tunnel, ramp up to bullet train speeds, arrive at destination, and ascend the 30 meters to the station... automatically. What's not to like?

Finally, between detector blocks, redstone circuits, and all of railcrafts new toys, complex track routing is not only possible, but relatively painless. Example:

Vanilla: a three-way stop requires slowing the car, stopping on a slope, create a large redstone circuit to activate specific switches and powered rails depending on which button you press, and hope you get you to the correct path. All this assumes lag doesn't slow the circuit down and "stall" you at the intersection. Want more than a three-way stop? the only solution I found was using multiple 3 way stops together. Messy and inefficient.

Tekkit: create a "roundabout" of one-way track and add a switch to each destination. Carts can enter from any destination and begin looping the roundabout. at a set point on the roundabout, have a holding rail stop the car. A wall with selection buttons is accessible. You pick a destination and the circuit (redstone wire and a RS latch) activates the appropriate track and powers the holding rail, sending you on your way. A simple detector rail on the outbound side resets the RS latches for the next person. No timers, no lag issues, and easy to add destinations. Viola: roundhouse destination selection using RS latches and restone wire. (now I just have to build one )

My only questions are: what altitude will our rail lines be at and what is the coordinates of the main rail station? With both, I can start digging tunnels...

cycl0pse

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 27, 2012, 10:49 AM

And the rail station concept works! Some pics:
6343/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6344/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6345/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6346/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6347/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6348/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2012, 11:28 AM

6380/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6381/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6382/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2012, 08:37 AM

Finally, some progress:

6436/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
6437/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2012, 09:23 AM

I can't wait until the first creeper blows a hole in the lawn and you fall to bedrock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules