Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 118)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2016, 05:10 PM

GDC: Satoru Iwata Game Developers Choice Awards Tribute

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2016, 11:13 AM

#feels

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2016, 11:32 AM

I should mention shortly after the upgradable X1 rumors came the PS4.5 for 4K rumors. No thanks.

P
Mar 22, 2016, 11:55 AM

I suspect that they're both looking at updates. It should be about time to shrink the SOC about now, and since they're using all off-the-shelf IP on a bog-standard process, I'm sure the idea occurred to make some sort of mid-cycle update that runs the same games, only a little better. Kind of like how Apple makes one new iPad every year and still gets people to make games that run on something as old as an iPad 2.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2016, 12:24 PM

There will be so many problems if this happens.

I can't wait until the first PS4.5-exclusive title releases and millions of PS4 users feel shafted. There's no way this thing actually happens...surely...?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2016, 01:19 PM

I doubt it. Sony has been pretty reliable this gem. If they went forward with that if consider it a massive shift back towards PS3 era form.

P
Mar 22, 2016, 01:47 PM

Sony certifies all PS4 games. Just don't certify games that don't support the PS4.0 and require the 4.1 or whatever. Then make a 4.2 in two years and make sure games for it must support 4.1 but not necessarily 4.0. As long as you're not forced to upgrade the console more than every five years or so, I think they're good.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 05:06 PM

I'd like a PS4K. Main reason, a 4K BluRay drive. Would make it easier to justify a new, bigger 4k TV.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2016, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I'd like a PS4K. Main reason, a 4K BluRay drive. Would make it easier to justify a new, bigger 4k TV.
Lololol - it's PS3 all over again!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Lololol - it's PS3 all over again!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2016, 05:59 PM

PS3 was a reasonably priced above-average Blu-Ray player when it was first released, this is basically the same but for 4K

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
PS3 was a reasonably priced above-average Blu-Ray player when it was first released, this is basically the same but for 4K
oh....well i ...suppose ...that's kinda funny.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It's more that the PS3 had a reputation in the early going as being bought not by gamers but by media enthusiasts (The PS3 was reviewed as one of the best Blu-Ray players of its time). Someone picking up this rumored hardware upgrade 4k PS4 for the same reason is a coincidental but hilarious mirror of the previous generation.

P
Mar 22, 2016, 07:21 PM

PS4 supports 4K video, actually, just not the new disc format that Bluray 2.0 uses. That could easily be fixed when making a PS4 slim or whatever without even replacing the SOC.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
There will be so many problems if this happens.

I can't wait until the first PS4.5-exclusive title releases and millions of PS4 users feel shafted. There's no way this thing actually happens...surely...?
Oh it's going to happen and I have a feeling that title is going to be... The Last Guardian.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
PS4 supports 4K video, actually, just not the new disc format that Bluray 2.0 uses. That could easily be fixed when making a PS4 slim or whatever without even replacing the SOC.
Do you reckon they could do a firmware upgrade to existing PS4 BR drive's to support the new standard?

P
Mar 23, 2016, 04:01 AM

According to Sony it is in hardware:

SCE Vice President On The Possibilities Of An Enhanced PS4 For Ultra HD Blu-Ray - Siliconera

Which appears to be be the case for most recent Bluray players on the market.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2016, 04:04 PM

Ok. So i guess it would make sense for a PS4K mid cycle.

In other news.....

Rumored NX Photos Show A Controller Without Buttons

EDIT>>Above picture is a hoax apparently
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 26, 2016 at 07:04 PM. )

P
Mar 29, 2016, 09:30 AM

WSJ now reports that the Playstation 4K is coming in October. If you have been following the Apple rumors over the years, you know that WSJ only reports things like this when someone high up inside the company is leaking.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2016, 09:46 AM

WSJ now reports that the Playstation 4K is coming in October. If you have been following the Apple rumors over the years, you know that WSJ only reports things like this when someone high up inside the company is leaking.
It seems like the purpose of the devise is better VR. "sure you can do VR on the PS4, but its better on the PS4K". I just hope they throw in a UHDBR drive.

If Last Guardian and Zelda get released this year.... it's going to be an expensive year.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2016, 10:54 AM

If Last Guardian and Zelda get released this year.... it's going to be an expensive year.
I've officially given up on Last Guardian. There's no way it's going to be worth that long of a wait. As for Zelda: if it's truly a Zelda/Skyrim mash-up, as is being reported, I'm going to sink some time into it.

Unrelated: I requested a refund on The Division on Steam. The game is crap.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 6, 2016, 10:39 AM

PS4 Remote play app out for Mac and PC.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2016, 11:59 AM

Use it yet?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2016, 01:24 PM

No. I have a PSTV to use.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2016, 05:17 PM

Hello. Hope all have been well.

Anyone had a go of Battleborn? Just spent about 30 mins in the PvE mode of the beta. Had a blast as Thorn. If you liked Borderlands co-op, you'll like Battleborn.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2016, 07:17 PM

Interesting. I saw the open beta and said, "Nah"

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2016, 04:35 AM

Got to see a beta of the PS4 VR and, despite it being the most comfortable of them all, the resolution is too low to be immersive (and apparently that's not improving w/ the retail release). Also the stock PS4 wasn't powerful enough to run it properly (hence the real reason Sony is coming out w/ the PS4K). Right now I'd rank it as a tech demo or PoC, many steps below both the Vive and Rift.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2016, 03:37 PM

Interesting. I saw the open beta and said, "Nah"
Played some PvP later, not near as much fun as the PvE stuff. Maybe its because I got my arse handed to me. Melee characters aren't really my thing and you can't change once a game starts. And considering the game is pretty long (played for 15 minutes in one game) if you choose something you're not comfortable with it sucks.

Hopefully Overwatch is better.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2016, 04:07 PM

Over watch has my complete attention

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2016, 05:53 PM

I'm in the beta for overwatch. It's pretty great. The fact that it's not being published for Mac is what drove me to build a gaming PC.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2016, 11:37 AM

I'll be on board day one with Overwatch.

I kept trying to get into the beta with no success, so I've been glued to Twitch streams with each update. I hope the game has legs.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2016, 12:22 PM

Overwatch has a few balance issues. Some characters have uncounterable one-shot moves.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2016, 02:12 AM

Overwatch will be a monster, but it's too bad Blizzard seems intent on destroying the property (WoW) that got them where they are today. It takes real skill to lose almost 70% of your subs in just a year and a half, essentially destroying the most powerful (and profitable) MMO in the world.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2016, 03:30 PM

M$ announced that they're ceasing production of the 360.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2016, 05:02 PM

PS4.5 rumors still propagating, but I have yet to understand who this aimed toward. Both devs and gamers seem put off by it he development.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2016, 11:01 PM

Probably people like myself w/4K monitors. They have to compete with PCs.

P
Apr 21, 2016, 04:49 AM

I actually think that the PS4K makes a lot of sense. Something similar to how gaming works on an iOS device - a small number of optimization targets to make the same game work on similar hardware, Still much easier than making a PC game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2016, 06:37 PM

PS4.5 rumors still propagating, but I have yet to understand who this aimed toward. Both devs and gamers seem put off by it he development.
I hope it's unpopular enough to dissuade them and Microsoft from trying it again.

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Probably people like myself w/4K monitors. They have to compete with PCs.
They don't have to compete with PCs — the PS4 is already wildly successful, and on track to sell over 100 million units during its lifespan. This is a dumb move based on their realization that the PS4 is underpowered for an impressive VR experience.

I actually think that the PS4K makes a lot of sense. Something similar to how gaming works on an iOS device - a small number of optimization targets to make the same game work on similar hardware, Still much easier than making a PC game.
Sounds like a terrible model for consumers to be forced into accepting. Have you tried to play any recent games on an iPhone 5? The experiences range from "perfectly acceptable" to "completely unplayable." Fragmenting PS4 users into classes is going to be a terrible move, IMHO. Sony seems willing to eliminate all the good work they've done so far this generation.

P
Apr 22, 2016, 07:36 PM

I play quite a lot of games on my iPad mini, and while it gets slow in Safari, it is actually more than capable in games. They already have another optimization target in the Xbone, so I don't see how this is impossible.

Anyway, it is getting quite clear that it IS happening. AMD recently had a conference call with investors, and mentioned that they had three semi-custom SOCs on the way for this year. On question, it apparently got clear that all three were gaming console focused. Nintendo NX is one. PS4K has a lot of smoke behind to not be true at this point. The third is strange. Is MS planning the same thing?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 11:23 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2016, 01:59 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2016, 02:47 PM

Another successful PAX East in the books, now the 4th I've gone to, but wasn't fast enough on the draw to get a 3-day pass this year so I missed the Friday festivities. Now for some pictures and random thoughts.

Battleborn and Overwatch were two of the biggest games on the Expo floor this year. I did wait to play a few rounds of Overwatch and greatly enjoyed myself. I played as Genji, the Ninja robot guy, and had an absolute blast. Battleborn looks nearly identical in gameplay, so I didn't wait to play it, but I did watch it on the big screen and was quite entertained. Overwatch went from "meh, who cares" to "probably buying this" so I guess their setup worked.

The biggest attraction in general was this massive T-rex promoting Ark, a game I've actually watched a decent amount of before the show, once I saw the T-rex was ridable I had to get all up on that. Pictured here is the most handsome PAX attendee.

Doom was crammed into a corner, and when I asked the line attendant she said the wait would be "about two hours" for a 10 minute demo, haha noooooope. The wait to get a picture with the Revenant was 2 minutes.

Tons of great cosplay, as usual, all over the show, but I really enjoyed this woman's clicker head. Awesome work.

The biggest draw of the show was, predictably, VR. The Oculus Rift demo was first-come-first-serve and on Saturday the line was capped at 3.5 hours long by the time we made our way there. On Sunday we queued for the Expo Hall to open, ran to the Oculus booth and....the line was capped at 3.5 hours. I did manage to sign up for the PSVR demo, which was also extremely popular but I left the experience decidedly "meh" on it as a product. As others have said here on the NN the graphics are really quite poor. There were a smattering of other demos using the Oculus at smaller booths, if you knew where to look, and the resolution on it was waaaaay better than the PSVR. Still with both units I was pretty impressed with how well it immersed me in what I was seeing. In an Oculus demo you are at the top of a bustling metropolis in once scene, and there was a very real feeling of vertigo.

Of course the Expo Floor is only a portion of the nerdy fun to be had at PAX. Tabletop gaming as far as the eye can see, retro arcade room, retro console room, Main Stage hilarity with the creators of Penny Arcade, you name it. This year was great because a good friend of mine just moved to Cambridge, so no Hotel room for me. We boozed and ate and nerded the hell out. I hope I can snag a 3-day pass next year, simply too much to see.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2016, 02:55 PM

Told you 'bout over watch bro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2016, 07:15 PM

So you get 20% off pre-orders if you have amazon prime. Not a shit-ton of money, but enough to make me consider picking up overwatch at $48.

P
Apr 27, 2016, 04:42 AM

It's official: Nintendo NX launches March 2017, and the next Zelda is a launch title. It will still come out for the Wii U, so it will be dual launch.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2016, 04:43 AM

Source GoNintendo:

"Coming straight from Nintendo's financial briefing...

For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX”
with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally."

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2016, 04:43 AM

Well, that was close to P post

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2016, 09:29 AM

It's official: Nintendo NX launches March 2017, and the next Zelda is a launch title. It will still come out for the Wii U, so it will be dual launch.
Can't wait to see their next gimmick

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2016, 09:29 AM

Kinda strange to launch a console in March, imo. I wouldn't be surprised if the launch is pushed back to holiday 2017.

Apparently Zelda WiiU will be the only playable Nintendo game at E3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2016, 04:08 PM

Scuttlebutt is the pushed to March because they don't have enough games ready and I can already see people complaining about a weak line-up in March.

Forum Links
Forum Rules