Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Strange cd mounting problem

Strange cd mounting problem
scottn
Oct 27, 1999, 02:30 AM

When I insert some cd's into my son's iMac revD after installing OS9 (clean) it mounts the data and an additional 'cd audio' mount. It is doing this on several cd's. I realize what the disks are, but haven't a clue why it would mount both tracks. It never did this with these disks in 8.6
Problem is it's an obvious pain to have to unmount both to eject the disk and considering he's only 5 (although quite computer literate) it will be very confusing for him.
Anyone else seen something like this ??

wadekainer
Oct 27, 1999, 07:11 AM

A lot of newer Cd's have bonus info (videos of the songs, screensavers, etc.) This may just be normal behavior. Have you checked the second thing to mount to see if there are special features inside?

scottn
Oct 27, 1999, 12:16 PM

No, these aren't 'cd extra' disks such as some of the newer music cd's. These are children's educational games. It appears (so far) to be the ones from Fisher Price (although they appear to be made by Davidson).
I went back to OS 8.6 just to check and it does not do this with it. Obviously Apple must've changed something in the CD drivers or something.

Scott

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 1999, 02:38 PM

A lot of CD ROM vendors include their audio tracks in regular old CD format. (Red Book? Orange book... damn me.) If any of you have Warcraft II, you can put the CD into your audio CD player and listen to the music, including an easter egg track. Very cool.

If this /really/ bugs you, downgrade to the previous version of the Apple CD/DVD Driver. I presume the dual mount functionality is included in the version that ships with MacOS 9.0. (I've been using the older driver under MacOS 9.0 on my PowerCenter Pro 210 with no troubles whatsoever. Your mileage may vary.)

[This message has been edited by Herr Newton (edited 10-28-1999).]

ToastyKen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 1999, 04:12 PM

This is actaully a GREAT THING.
I have a few Enhanced CDs, and what used to happen is that they would always mount the data portion. Problem is, the computer can't access both data and music at the same time, and it often accesses the data portion FOR NO GOOD REASON at random, STOPPING MY MUSIC MID-TRACK! This was really really annoying, to say the least.
I coudn't unmount the data portion (which I didn't want) without ejecting the disk.

NOW I CAN! I can just trash the data portion, but CD doesn't eject until I trash the the audio portion.. so now I can listen to my enhanced CDs in peace without the computer gratuitously stopping my music all the time!

Bartman
Oct 30, 1999, 07:15 AM

Hi,
I found these info in Apple's TIL.... see what Apple says. It may help a bit.
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n19112
Once you put your hand in the flame you can never be the same, there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules