Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AOL for OS X behind a Linksys router?

AOL for OS X behind a Linksys router?
bjresta
Mar 20, 2003, 09:12 AM

Is anyone able to connect to and routinely use AOL for OS X on 10.2.4 behind a Linksys router?

Cannot get a connection for AOL (am using "bring-your-own" access, i.e., Charter Pipeline) when using the router. Have been absolutely frustrated in all attempts to get AOL to connect. Neither specific port mapping nor DMZ nor any modification of the AOL Locations Setup solves the problem.

Of interest is that AOL 8.0 on a PC will connect through the router just fine.

Readings in other forums suggest that this is a Mac OS X issue. What say you? Is there a solution? Would appreciate comments of anyone who regularly uses AOL for OS X this way.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 20, 2003, 10:49 PM

I believe it's a "Mac OS AOL setup" issue. I've done some research for others on the subject, and I think you have to basically tell the AOL client how it's supposed to look for their servers. There's even a FAQ entry or two on the subject on Linksys' site. Have you looked at these?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2003, 10:25 PM

I'm having the exact same issue. Just got the router today. If you call AOL they have no idea. If you call Linksys they have no idea....

Does anyone know if this is a problem that can be fixed or worked around?

-Steve

BugsyJA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 10:58 PM

I use AOL on 10.2.4 through a Linksys router over DSL almost every day with no problems. I set AOL to work via TCP/IP. Is that how you're trying to connect? If you can browse and the Linksys is set at it's defaults settings, it should allow AOL to work as well. Hope this helps.

bjresta  (op)
Mar 22, 2003, 12:02 AM

I do connect through TCP/IP, do have the Linksys on default settings (though have tried port mapping and DMZ hosting). Still no luck.

I have no trouble browsing or using email. AIM works, except that the file transfer feature does not (again, despite port mapping, DMZ, etc.).

Linksys does not have any info on AOL for Mac OS X on their site. In fact, the Linksys folks specifically disavow supporting OS X. They do have info on AOL 8.0. I can connect just fine using AOL 8.0 on an IBM ThinkPad running Windows 2000 Professional.

bjresta  (op)
Mar 22, 2003, 08:46 AM

Ah! AOL acknowledges the problem. The following is taken from an AOL Message Board for AOL for Mac OSX Beta. It appears that AOL is aware of the problem and is working on a solution:

<< Hi, I posted this message in another thread (this is a very weird message board... It's hard to see all messages without clicking on a few buttons) - but I, too, cannot connect to AOL for Mac OS X, using a router. I'm so glad to see there are other people having the same problem. Well, not glad... you know what I mean..

I have two Macs connected to a router, and neither can get on AOL X - EVER! I also get that error message that I can't use all the features, but in reality, I can't get on at all! The beach ball just spins and spins, and I have to do a force quit.

This is really unacceptable. How can we beta test AOL for Mac OS X if we can't even sign on? There is an expensive solution. Is there anyone out there using a DSL router that IS able to connect? Anyone? If so, could you let us know the brand and model number? I don't mind being the guinea pig, and going out and buying it, and seeing if that's the problem... well, assuming the price is relatively reasonable... It's such a shame... I was only able to connect once to AOL X, and that was when I unplugged my cable from the router, stuck it directly into the DSL modem, changed the network settings, and was actually able to sign on. It was beautiful... I especially loved that finally, the email could read HTML... I hated giving it up, but my wife was threatening divorce 'cause she uses the other Mac, and of course, it couldn't get online... so now I'm back using AOL 5.0, in Classic, and I hate it... >>

The AOL reply:

Greetings Barry,

As noted in other threads in these Message Boards, using more than one Mac with the AOL for Mac OS X plus software through a router results in the scenario you described. Bypassing the router and plugging one or the other Mac directly into your DSL modem allows the AOL software to work correctly.
We are looking at a possilbe work around for this type of scenario that will allow multiple Macs to share this type of connection. When I have more information, I'll post it in the Answer Board, so check back occasionally.

Thanks for Testing!

Beta Doc Don
Mac Beta Team

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 08:17 PM

Well I'm glad they acknowledge there is an issue. But in good ol' AOL fashion they don't offer a solution...

Since connecting my router to my cable modem and computer I have tested all of my internet apps. AOL for X is the only one that has problems. Why is that? What is different about AOL that keeps it from connecting?

-Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 22, 2003, 10:02 PM

The reason they don't have a solution is that their client doesn't follow the normal rules for network applications. They wrote the clients with the idea that it would be connected directly through ethernet to a modem, so they take all sorts of very bad short cuts, dodges, and down right bad coding practices to make the client do what they want with their servers.

AOL has been "doing their own thing" forever, and they didn't stop just because most of their client base can now go networked at home. I've never seen it get this bad on a Mac, but DON'T install their client on a Windows machine and try to do anything else networked with that computer-the AOL client typically screws up the entire TCP/IP system so badly that you often have to reinstall the OS just to get anything else to work.

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2003, 12:51 PM

GHPorter, thanks for the explanation. I work as a computer / network tech and I've been banging my head against the wall the last few days trying to figure out this AOL issue.

I knew that AOL did things ass backwards, just didn't realize how ass backwards they were...

-Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 23, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by SteveTech:
I knew that AOL did things ass backwards, just didn't realize how ass backwards they were...-Steve
I'd call it more sideways with a 1 1/2 twist

Forum Links
Forum Rules