Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can someone help me network my G5 to my PC?

Can someone help me network my G5 to my PC?
alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 02:42 PM

I have a new G5, and an old PC running Windows XP Home. I have a DSL connection, and a router. Both the G5 and the PC are sharing the DSL connection through the router. Does anyone know how I can get the G5 to see the PC so I can pull files off of the PC?

I'd also like to print to the USB printer connected to the G5 from the PC across the house.

Any ideas?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by alligator:
I have a new G5, and an old PC running Windows XP Home. I have a DSL connection, and a router. Both the G5 and the PC are sharing the DSL connection through the router. Does anyone know how I can get the G5 to see the PC so I can pull files off of the PC?

I'd also like to print to the USB printer connected to the G5 from the PC across the house.

Any ideas?
The easiest solution: http://www.thursby.com

christ
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 02:51 PM

Try here
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 03:05 PM

Go to the Help menu and select Mac Help.

In the "Ask a question" field, type "Windows networking".

Tons of topics will return. Choose the one you want.

I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

marusin
Senior User
Sep 5, 2003, 03:33 PM

smb://the.ip.addressof.windowsbox/c$ in the "Connect To Server" dialog and log in with the window's username, password and domain... Very easy.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 04:59 PM

To access to PC from the mac:
1. On the PC make sure file sharing is turned on, it's usually in the networking control panel. And make sure the computer has a name, just leave the workgroup as is.

2. Share a folder or drive on the PC, right click and select sharing...

3. On the mac, In the finder select the Go menu, then Connect to server... (or command-k) in the box, type smb://computername/sharename, in the dialogue box, enter the windows user name and the password for the share.

4. Hit connect.

I don't have a printer connected to the mac, so I can't help you. You might try turning on Windows file sharing and printer sharing in system preferences, fire up a browser and hit 127.0.0.1:631

Forum Links
Forum Rules