Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iLife 04' First Impressions

iLife 04' First Impressions
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 01:03 PM

I'm anxious to see what people think of the updates to the iLife suite. The one I'm most interested in is iPhoto.

Steve Jobs made it look very appealing, but I'll be honest, I no longer believe my eyes with regards to his presentations (I swear OS X 10.0 looked fast when he presented it!)

For those that have it, what's the good, the bad and the ugly.

My Guess: iPhoto rocks, iMovie is a nice bump, iTunes is iTunes (just like the download version) iDVD is about the same and GarageBand is D-O-G slow

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 01:10 PM

I'll let you know when I get home...

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 01:23 PM

I am really interested in iPhoto also. I have been doing quite a bit of digital photos with my new Nikon 5700 and Photo Elements for layouts. I have impressed myself !! I keep my main iPhoto library on a firewire external drive but I still do not have the switching back and forth ironed out. My brain is missing something in the translation.
I didn't order it but called today to see if it was in Comp USA but NOT. Guess I should order it from Apple Education. Anxious to see what changes there are.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 02:20 PM

Fed Ex came today! totally worth the extra $4 shipping!

iPhoto. GREAT! I have a 1 ghz imac and it took 10 seconds for it to open. No spinning ball at all unless your deleting an album or something huge. This is the way it should've always been. You will be happy.

iDVD new themes are great. Pretty fast overall. A few new features that are really going to be helpful.

iMovie, biggest thing for me is the audio level images on the tracks, what a time saver! Easier sub menues with transitions (especially good for SLICK additions)
Audio is still in what seems to be random order. Not good for me. Too many playlists I guess. Crashed the first time I opened it too.

I'm going to start working on a movie project tonight so I'll be able to put it more through its paces. Garage band looks cool, so I'm to lose myself in grooveland.

thanks apple!

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 02:49 PM

iPhoto 2 is killing me. If I have to tell my girlfriend "Hold On" one more time... I'm going to freak out. If Apple sold Edu. versions of their software at the retail stores, they would have a ton of my business, but I'm going to hold off for the reviews and go from there.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 02:50 PM

How large is the dmg of iPhoto?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 03:31 PM

I wish I have one infront of me.
I just checked with the local computer store, they said not yet.

Man.. I don't want to drive 100 miles to the AppleStore just to get iLife '04.

anyone really playing on the gargeband with the extra keyboard?

My setup
DP 1.25G4 (FW800)
Combo
1280MB RAM
320GB HD
Studio Display 17"
I bet all the iLife apps should fly on my machine, right?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 03:36 PM

Bob "Dr Mac" LeVitus has a great review of Garageband here
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Ganesha
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 03:45 PM

iPhoto: Much Improved. Took a while importing my library. But it is as fast as advertised.

iMovie: Haven't looked much except to confirm, it does not address the buzzing issue with the older Formac Studio DV.

GarageBand: Snazzy, loads of fun! Forgot to eat lunch!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 04:01 PM

So do the apps use installer to install or are they drag 'n drop?

I've heard iPhoto is having .Mac issues with ordering prints and making .Mac Homepage's...

perryp
Banned
Jan 16, 2004, 04:02 PM

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 04:52 PM

Bob LeVitus asks for GarageBand from Apple, so he could review it, and what does he get?

A PowerBook G4 with iLife '04 installed.

Okay... where can I sign up to be him for a day?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 05:03 PM

Installing as I am writing this - the GarageBand application is over 2 GB itself! Plus it includes over 500 MB of sample songs as a separate installer. Can't wait!

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 05:09 PM

I can't wait to play around with Garage Band! Being a guitar player...it presents a lot of potential for me!

insha
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 05:40 PM

Will post my 2 cents when I get home.

marusin
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 05:40 PM

I'm going to pick up iLife tomorrow and am really looking forward to everything, specifically GarageBand...

My big question (especially aimed towards all you guitar players): Does just plugging your guitar into your Mac (via Line-In or iMic in if you don't have a line-in) work as well as it did during they Keynote with John Mayer? I know I'm no John Mayer, but am really interested in this piece. It seems like I need some sort of pre-amp or something to get a soundlevel into my Mac?

Anyways, I guess I'll find out soon enough. In the meantime, if anyone is playing around with this please fill us in... Thanks!

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by marusin:
My big question (especially aimed towards all you guitar players): Does just plugging your guitar into your Mac (via Line-In or iMic in if you don't have a line-in) work as well as it did during they Keynote with John Mayer? I know I'm no John Mayer, but am really interested in this piece. It seems like I need some sort of pre-amp or something to get a soundlevel into my Mac?
Looking at the web page for it, there's a cable for it. Not sure if it's in the package or an optional extra.

But judging by those sounds on the keynote ( I wasn't impressed) IMO you'd be far better off buying something like a Korg AX1500G and running it in there at line level.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 07:29 PM

Very interesting discussion on iLife '04 (including GarageBand acting kind of wonky/slow) in this thread in the Software forum (where this talk should probably belong anyway):

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=197606

My thoughts will keep showing up there, too.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 07:43 PM

Wow, I am absolutely thrilled with iPhoto 4 on my TiBook 667 DVI, it screams on this "old" hardware even! I love the new changes incorporated with uploading a .Mac Homepage, it's about time Apple listenened to feedback on that...GREAT WORK! Now I just need to update my S100 PowerShot Elph to the S400...

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
iPhoto 2 is killing me. If I have to tell my girlfriend "Hold On" one more time... I'm going to freak out. If Apple sold Edu. versions of their software at the retail stores, they would have a ton of my business, but I'm going to hold off for the reviews and go from there.
Holy crap man! THEY DO! LoL, take your Student/Teacher ID into ANY Apple retail store, and bam, immediaite EDU Discount.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
Holy crap man! THEY DO! LoL, take your Student/Teacher ID into ANY Apple retail store, and bam, immediaite EDU Discount.
No they don't...you can only get Apple Hardware at Edu. prices in the retail Apple Stores...software has to go through the on-line store...

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 08:51 PM

I was impressed with iphoto.. damn thing works as it should..no more telling my mom "hang on a minute"

If only the finder was that fast going through images.
Aloha

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 09:17 PM

Sorry to be anal - but this thread isn't a lounge thread really is it - it's a software thread.
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Sorry to be anal - but this thread isn't a lounge thread really is it - it's a software thread.
it's the lounge for crying out loud.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 10:00 PM

negative!

insha
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 10:25 PM

No drag and drop Have to use the installer.
I have a TiBook 550 with 1GB RAM.

Did not install iDVD -- don't have SuperDrive

Love iPhoto Fast but takes a while to upgrade my Albums but other than that it's awesome.

iMovie works wonderfully with iSight and it runs a little faster.

GarageBand is excellent, but is not for slower systems. It moved well on my system as long as I did not have too many (6 or more) instruments in my project. Encountered a few hic-ups while playing the demo songs that came with it.

The verdict: iLife is wonderful Now to make it even better I will have to get a faster Mac -- Dual G5 2.0 coming soon (mid February )

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 10:40 PM

OK, my carma points are probably going through the floor, but I have a copy of iPhoto and here are my thoughts:

1) MUCH faster. It's now usable and on the level of other applications with regards to speed.

2) Images import with the correct orientation (When I take a vertical photo, it imports correctly so I don't have to rotate the image)

3) When I click on an image, I don't have to wait a YEAR.

4) Photo sharing is so F@#$ing amazing, I now don't hate my girlfriend for downloading images to her computer.

Things I Miss

- Being able to make a pot of coffee while I import images from my Compact Flash card reader.

- My girlfriend freaking the F@#$ out while I browse images.

- Wearing my vocal cords dry saying "Hold on a second", "Just a second", "It's thinking", "Opps, just a minute", "Hold On!", "Just a F@#$ing second", "It's not my F@#$ing fault...", "Well, maybe if you didn't take a photo of every F@#$ing piece of S@#$ that your retarded eyes saw while burning through my two gigabyte Compact Flash Card on your ugly ass relatives!"...

- The nap I could take when launching iPhoto.

- Avoiding showing my friends my photo management application.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 16, 2004, 10:47 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 7, 2004 at 08:46 PM. )

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by insha:

Did not install iDVD -- don't have SuperDrive
You should go ahead and install it and start making projects to burn when you get that G5 w/superdrive

From Apple's website:
What�s more, with iDVD 4, you can create your iDVD projects on a Mac without a SuperDrive, save your work as an Archive, then transfer your archive to a Mac with a SuperDrive for burning.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 11:01 PM

As said above, they only do HARDWARE at the Retail Stores. You can also bring in your letter of acceptance to your college/university, and get a discount that way, nifty eh?

mathew_m
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
I wish GarageBand looked remotely consistent with other Apple software.

I mean, c'mon... Fake wood skin?!? Ugh!

iPhoto is okay.
Looks fine to me. I'm tired of starring at the searing bright white pin-stripes of Jaguar. I'm looking forward to upgrading to Panther where everything is toned down. Maybe eventually they'll get back to the simple, gray serenity of OS 9.

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 11:23 PM

Wow...I just bought an M-Audio Oxygen8 25 key Midi-Controller! HAHA So I can use it with Garage Band when I get it! Also bought a stand for it.

The Oxygen8 is the mobile MIDI controller that started it all. You get a fully functional MIDI keyboard, plus eight knobs to control any MIDI parameters you desire. This compact package is perfect for controlling software synths like Reason. Compose on the go or use it to perform live for bass lines, pads, triggering effects or ArKaos VJ visual effects. Fits in a 19� rack or the optional Studio Pack or Oxygen Tank.

�The Oxygen8 has everything you�d expect to find on a big, expensive MIDI controller, but it uses up a lot less space� the perfect controller for your laptop rig.� � Mixer

Here's a link with some info on it -

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...e83be310498fa8

And I also got an M-Audio Mobilepre USB!

MobilePre USB is the preamp with a built-in audio interface that�s designed for laptop recording such as field recording and sampling expeditions. In fact, it�s one of the only completely bus-powered preamps available. (Of course, you can use it on the desktop as well.) A total of three kinds of audio inputs and outputs provide maximum flexibility for any application�including two on-board microphone/instrument preamps and high-impedance instrument inputs ideal for connecting guitars and basses. And unlike many competitors, zero-latency direct monitoring provides you with a streamlined professional recording experience.

Info here -

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...81bca7ff458be3

I'm so excited, this is my first real dive into digital music making!
( Last edited by Minty Fresh; Jan 17, 2004 at 12:34 AM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 12:47 AM

I havent gotten my hands on iLife yet, and well i cant really afford it, but looking forward to using it when i get my next machine.

But im really impressed with Garage band. i think that's an app that will have teh same impact that iTunes had. id love to spend days on end in it making music for a DVD, instead of using music from recording artists.

Cheers.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Things I Miss

- Being able to make a pot of coffee while I import images from my Compact Flash card reader.

- My girlfriend freaking the F@#$ out while I browse images.

- Wearing my vocal cords dry saying "Hold on a second", "Just a second", "It's thinking", "Opps, just a minute", "Hold On!", "Just a F@#$ing second", "It's not my F@#$ing fault...", "Well, maybe if you didn't take a photo of every F@#$ing piece of S@#$ that your retarded eyes saw while burning through my two gigabyte Compact Flash Card on your ugly ass relatives!"...

- The nap I could take when launching iPhoto.

- Avoiding showing my friends my photo management application.
Nice list! Very similar to my own.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
As said above, they only do HARDWARE at the Retail Stores. You can also bring in your letter of acceptance to your college/university, and get a discount that way, nifty eh?
Serious?

What's about non-Apple retail Store? (Apple authorized dealer).

I drove down to Portland, OR last year to buy the Dual PowerMac G4, so that I don't have to pay 8.8% local sales tax (in Seattle). It would be a sweet deal for 10% - 15% student discount and no sales tax although I have to drive 2hrs south.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 17, 2004, 02:53 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 7, 2004 at 08:46 PM. )

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2004, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Serious?

What's about non-Apple retail Store? (Apple authorized dealer).

I drove down to Portland, OR last year to buy the Dual PowerMac G4, so that I don't have to pay 8.8% local sales tax (in Seattle). It would be a sweet deal for 10% - 15% student discount and no sales tax although I have to drive 2hrs south.
There's a new Apple retail store in Tigard ( Washington Square Mall ), which would be about another 20 minutes south for you, but worth it considering the on-the-spot EDU discount.
jesse ;-)

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 07:58 PM

So Far I've really only played with iPhoto and obviously iTunes. I fired up iDVD and iMovie and Garageband All seem pretty quick. for me so far the best feature in the new iPhoto other than the Speed is the rondezvous sharing. This way I can put all my images on my desktop and just share it and use my Laptop.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Nice list! Very similar to my own.
In total agreement.

It still takes a little while to change from the blurry small thumbnail to the big one, but at least it doesn't totally hang on me when I rotate pictures.

Yay iPhoto.

insha
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
You should go ahead and install it and start making projects to burn when you get that G5 w/superdrive
Thanks. I don't know how I missed that little tid-bit about iDVD; I guess I was not thinking about it since I don't have the SuperDrive.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by perryp:
article on garageband here:
http://www.macobserver.com/columns/r...20040116.shtml
Quick question:

Why did he need a "M-Audio FireWire 410 FireWire mobile recording interface"?

Was it because he was using a PowerBook? Do they not have a Mic In port?
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Quick question:

Why did he need a "M-Audio FireWire 410 FireWire mobile recording interface"?

Was it because he was using a PowerBook? Do they not have a Mic In port?
Impedance. Can't plug a guitar or synth straight into a microphone socket without it sounding crap.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Impedance. Can't plug a guitar or synth straight into a microphone socket without it sounding crap.
I was under the impression you could use the 1/4">1/8" converter for an electric guitar.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
I was under the impression you could use the 1/4">1/8" converter for an electric guitar.
Pretty sure that's gonna have an impedance converter in it somewhere rather than just being a straight size conversion.

Even so, you're gonna get a better sound with an external dedicated box. Probably why the guy was using one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules