Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any recommendations for a new kayak

Any recommendations for a new kayak
Scientist
Senior User
Apr 3, 2004, 09:23 AM

I'm spending yet another summer at a research station on beautiful trout lake in N. Wisconsin. I'd like to purchase a kayak so I can increase my upper body strength while observing all the cool critters that hang out up there. Does anyone know anything about kayaks? I've paddled a few over the years, but I know next to nothing about them otherwise.

I think I'd like:
-something fast and quiet
-durable, as I'll be storing it outside, chained to a tree.
-I won't be encountering any major rapids, so that isn't much of a concern
-something light would be nice, as I plan on doing a bit of portaging. This isn't a huge concern because almost all the portages are less than 2 miles.
-I will be doing some nature photography from the kayak...I assume this wont be a problem as long as I get a watertight casing for my rebel.
-this will be a gift (at least partially), from my parents so it shouldn't cost an outrageous amount of money. We are ready and willing to pay for quality.

Thanks in advance.
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2004, 12:44 PM

There's a whole lot of stuff to consider here.

I suggest a site like Kayak Online. I've linked to the "Choosing a Kayak" article, although I haven't read it. You can go from there, I'm sure.

It's hard to "give advice" on specific models, as there are so many well-built kayaks out there now. I've just got some shitty old plastic ocean kayak, but it's crossed the Straits of Belle Isle from Newfoundland to Labrador a couple times, and I'd guarantee that's more action than yours will be seeing any time soon.

You'll probably want a longer kayak, and since you'll be taking pictures or examining the water, something as stable as possble. A rudder might be nice, as it'll allow you to focus less on your stroke when you're interesting in other things. A fairly large cockpit is good, too.

I don't know. I'd check out some of those reviews maybe, and see what you come up with. Like I said, I'd recommend even buying some second-hand model, as you'll save money. After a summer spent in it, you'll have a better idea of what you'd want in a kayak.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2004, 12:54 PM

Lucky you!
I think what you want is what's called a "recreational kayak". Shorter than a sea kayak (11-13 feet) and with less (or no) dry storage, and a bit wider in the beam for more primary stability (24" on up), which makes the kayak a better platform for photography or fishing. You have a choice of an open or closed cockpit model. Recreational kayaks are suitable for lakes and relatively calm waters. They are not suited for large lakes that may get rough, or for the ocean, except maybe for surfing (closed cockpit models). For that you want a sea kayak (often called a "touring kayak").

Kayaks can be made of plastic, fiberglass or Kevlar, in descending order of weight, and ascending order of cost. If you can afford a Kevlar one, get it. My son has a Kevlar sea kayak and it's lightweight to carry and a beauty to paddle.

There are a number of models of recreational kayaks out there. I've owned several sea kayaks, so I can't give you any personal recommendations, except to be sure you buy from a place that lets you try it out to be sure it fits you right. (I'm small, and my first kayak was too big for me and I ended up selling it.)

Some makers of high quality kayaks you might want to look at include:
Wilderness Systems
Dagger
Perception Kayaks

Kayaks can be tough to portage, compared to a canoe. I've been on a number of extended canoe trips. On one, we had the bright idea of bringing our sea kayak. What a beast that 18' kayak was to portage, even though it was lighter than the canoe! A smaller kayak would be easier.

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2004, 08:55 AM

Thanks for all the advice!
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2004, 10:26 AM

Old Town

Why? Cause they are made 10 min from my dorm, and they last for ever.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2004, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
Old Town

Why? Cause they are made 10 min from my dorm, and they last for ever.
Ah, I didn't know Old Town makes kayaks. I have one of their canoes. It is pretty spiffy. I'll look into this.
-George C. Williams

marusin
Senior User
Apr 9, 2004, 11:20 AM

My in-laws (and now I) are really big into kayaking on lakes and small rivers. They have an arsenal of kayaks all in the 11' - 13' range and I think that would be perfect for you.

They have a mixture of Daggers and Old Towns. They're all really nice boats and a very relaxing way to get out into nature. I'm partial to the Old Town just because it's the biggest boat they have (I think it's 13' 8") and it tracks/glides through water really nice.

My only advice is stay away from really short boats. You won't get a smooth glide and will be paddling in every direction other than straight (especially on a windy day)...

Also, paddling.net is a good resource for all things kayak

Forum Links
Forum Rules