Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Dead... August gigs. Anyone going?

The Dead... August gigs. Anyone going?
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 07:41 AM

Thinking of flying over to the states to see them a few times this August, wondering if anyone else is going to any of the gigs?

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 01:34 PM

Wow, I guess there were no takers...

Could have sworn that there were a few deadheads on the boards in the past.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 01:47 PM

Just the other day, my girlfriend asked if we could go see them. If I can find the time, I'll go. I've see the Grateful Dead (w/ Jerry) countless times and then saw the 'Further Festival' as it was called 3 times. All in all a good time. Next weekend I'll be in Memphis for the Beale Street Music Fest.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 01:49 PM

I grew up with the (real) dead as pretty much pervasive background music to my childhood. The Dead just... were.

But w/o Jerry, that's the operative word-- "were."

Saw 'em in 1980, and had a blast--until the drive home, which was a freaking nightmare, for chemical reasons. I survived, but those days are long-gone, though I do still pull out Workingman's Dead and Mars Hotel now and again.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 03:41 PM

It's not the Dead without Jerry.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 03:46 PM

yeah tell me about it. i have the luxury of working with a couple deadheads in a kitchen. man, theyre sooo excited that jerry garcia band is coming to play one of the local bars on sunday.

i caught one dead show, when i was a kid (14) in ohio. fun, but cooler now that im probably one of the few born in the 80s to see the dead.

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Thinking of flying over to the states to see them a few times this August, wondering if anyone else is going to any of the gigs?
i might be going to the boston shows - july 30 & 31. a friend has tickets and i'll be on my way to the cape for a couple of weeks.

that said, i agree the dead isn't the same without jerry. i was fortunate enough to see them a bunch of times with jerry. things were crazy here in san fran for several weeks after he died.

marusin
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 04:45 PM

I saw them last summer with Bob Dylan. It was a very very good show, but obviously it's not the same without Jerry. If you're a fan, you'll definitely enjoy the shows/scene.

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 05:26 PM

I know what you all mean about it not being the dead without Jerry, but I guess for me, seeing some of that band is better than nothing.

I have grown up with the band as a soundtrack to my life for so long, and I would love to see the remainder of them just the once, and not have to console myself with bootleg gig tapes!

I was planning to go to some gigs the year Jerry died, so I missed my chance, and also for me, the band were at their peak with Brent Mydland on keyboards, so of course it will not be the same...

Are they that different these days? Are they still worth the trip (excuse the pun!)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 07:44 PM

Jerry's magnificent noodling on the guitar and his charmingly off-key vocals WERE the dead for me. Bob Weir is too... I dunno... normal. Phil Lesh is cool, though. He was into playing around with amplification techniques early on, and has always had killer tone.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2004, 08:16 PM

I already bought tickets for the Jersey show. August 12th I think.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules