Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Dumb Airport-behind-a-router question

Dumb Airport-behind-a-router question
bjresta
Sep 16, 2004, 11:46 PM

I have an iMac, an iBook, and a PC laptop. I connect my ADSL modem to a router and the router to an Airport Extreme. I have to run the PC laptop off of the router because certain business software will just not work through the Airport Extreme. I uset the Airport Extreme base station primarilyy for the iBook and the wireless laptops of any friends who might be visiting.

I have a number of options with respect to my iMac. I can connect it directly to the router, I can run it wirelessly off of the Airport Extreme base station, or I can plug it into the LAN port of the Airport Extreme base station.

The simplest approach would seem to be to plug the iMac directly into the router. My question is, are there ANY advantages to running it wirelessly off of the Airport Extreme or plugging it into the LAN port of the Airport base station?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2004, 10:14 AM

The biggest advantage you'll see in connecting either wired or wirelessly to your base station is that the base station performs something called "Network Address Translation," or NAT, which helps protect and hide the LAN side of your network. However, since you have the base station behind a router already, that's not necessary anyway, since the router does the same thing.

In fact, , unless you have your base station set to bridge, it may be that any connection-based problems you're having with your PC are caused by trying to go through two different stages of NAT-which will confuse the begeebers out of just about any net-based software.

Unless you really want to lounge on the sofa while using your Mac, you can plug it into the ROUTER and all will be well. On the other hand, you can get all of your wireless stuff working well by setting your base station up to bridge between the wired and wireless parts of your network. Go to the Network tab in the AirPort Admin Utility, and uncheck the "share a single IP address" box. Once that's done, your base station will simply act like an extension of the LAN that your router manages.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bjresta  (op)
Sep 17, 2004, 11:59 PM

Thanks! Yes, I'm using the Airport as a bridge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules