Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What should permissions be for Users folders?

What should permissions be for Users folders?
bjresta
Feb 6, 2005, 08:41 AM

I have mucked around and screwed up permissions on portions of the Users folders and its subfolders. Disk Utility repairs permissions for systems folders, but not the Users subfolders.

What should permissions be set to for regular and administrative accounts and their various subfolders (Library, System, Documents, etc.)? Do those permissions apply to their enclosed files? Can I fix this using a utility like BatChmond (the tool I used to screw things up in the first place), or am I better off to go about it some other way?

Am running Mac OS 10.3.7.

Kamsin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 10:24 AM

I'm pretty new to the mac, but have used *nix for many years. IMHO the best way to fix this would be from the command-line.

To do so, open Terminal and then issue the following commands. The first will repair directories, the second regular files.

find /Users/dave -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;

find /Users/dave -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;

(of course, you'll want to replace dave with your 'short' user name)

If file ownerships got messed up too, you might want to run this first:

sudo find /Users/dave -exec chown dave:dave {} \;
( Last edited by Kamsin; Feb 6, 2005 at 10:33 AM. )

jaknudsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 11:58 AM

Thanks a lot for those!

Fixed my system when the whole Users folder was pretty messed up, the System didn't even recognized the different users.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2005, 01:30 PM

Apple's utility doesn't repair user folders because it is expected that users might change them deliberately. For example, you can prevent anyone other than you from accessing your Home folder by setting its permissions to 700 (WARNING: If you do this, you won't be able to share files out of your Home folder, and this includes Web Sharing).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jdogg99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 09:47 PM

BatchMod is a nice GUI program for changing permissions on files and folders. Check versiontracker.com. I should point out, though, that it doesn't "know" what user permissions should be set to. I've used it on computers where the desktop inexplicably becomes inaccessible to the user, and it's worked great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules