Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stuck mini-CD in an iBook G4

Stuck mini-CD in an iBook G4
bjresta
Mar 4, 2005, 09:15 AM

My son inserted a mini-CD into our 14" iBook G4.

We have tried the F12 eject key and a force reboot (control-command-power) while holding down the trackpad button. Neither maneuver triggered a force-eject of the CD.

Any other options to try before taking it to my mac repair guy?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 10:06 AM

Found on http://www.appletechs.com/archives/00000004.html:

"my friend"s G4 ibook cd drive was stucked with a mini CD inside. I just placed the ibook on it's side and manually ejecting it with a small screwdriver by trigerring the eject mechanism inside the slot-loading cd drive. The mini cd came out via gravity! Whew it saved us $700 if we have repaired thru Apple store, thanks for this forum. :-)"

and

"there is a digital eject button on the very right-hand side of the CD-drive inside the slot. Unbend a paperclip and gently poke around for this button. Pressing this button will eject the CD."

Maybe that'll help
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2005, 10:09 AM

iBooks have that handy button eject. We just had another thread on this but you could try holding the iBook at an angle so that the CD slot is pointing downward. Hit the eject key and give it a slight shake and it could pop out.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bjresta  (op)
Mar 4, 2005, 07:52 PM

I finally got it out. Turning the iBook on its side and gently shaking it got the edge of the mini-CD to where I could grab it and pull it out.

But I never did find the manual eject button. How far into the slot is it located? How far from the screen-end (as opposed to the track-ball-end) of the slot?

Forum Links
Forum Rules