Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Smudged screen text in finder

Smudged screen text in finder
anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 05:57 PM

Has anyone had the font in the Finder look odd? The fours get filled in on the top, the lowercase z gets filled top on both ends, the capital N has dots down its middle. This appears even if I format the drive and run a clean install. I see it even during an install! I tried 3 different OSX installs for G4s (10.3, 10.3.5, 10.3.7) they all do the same thing. I have zapped the PRAM and no difference. The fact that it even happens before the OS is even installed is puzzling. Anyone else seen something like this? I can't figure out how to describe this in google.

The system is a PowerMac G4 dual 1GHZ, 512 RAM 120GB drive

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 06:02 PM

Can you post a screenshot?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

anthology123  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 06:21 PM

I'll try to get a screenshot, but it may take another day, I hope someone finds my description a familiar symptom.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 06:14 AM

have not heard of what you describe- but maybe if you tried the term "font corruption"? That seems like an accurate description of what is happening to your system?

I would hazard that it might be a problem with display hardware? I think that all text is handled in a particular way by graphics hardware- and so if the hardware is malfunctioning it does not matter under what conditions the text is being displayed- it will appear corrupted? Just a guess.

Ruahrc

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Ruahrc:
have not heard of what you describe- but maybe if you tried the term "font corruption"? That seems like an accurate description of what is happening to your system?
Not really. Unless you're suggesting his install disk is damaged, I don't see how the fonts on there could be corrupt.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2005, 01:00 AM

Font corruption is what I would describe as what he is seeing. That does not suggest that the font data is actually corrupt- but they are being corrupted when they are being displayed.

The second part of my post I say I think it is his video card. Visual artifacts such as these are what one might see if his video card was on its way out. Failing or heavily overclocked RAM can produce anomalies such as this- and the video hardware is really the only thing that I can think of that is persisting this problem after reinstalls, reformats, etc.

Ruahrc

anthology123  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2005, 07:04 PM

Here is a pic of the problem:

notice 2 things, the 4's in the time are all filled, and
notice in the dock the triangles under each running application are
all cut off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules