Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > WWJB? heck, what would you buy?

WWJB? heck, what would you buy?
nayr x
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2005, 04:59 AM

Okay, I am just about to place the order for my new monster desktop. I need it for a project involving a ton of HD video editing and 3D animation, so I want to make sure I get the best setup.

Problem is my buget is tight.... every dollar counts.... so.....

Dual 2.3 w/ 2GB Ram

or

Dual 2.7 w/ 1 GB Ram

both with 400 GB HD, ATI Radeon X850....

of course the obvious answer is to go with the 2.7, since ram is easily upgradable where the processors and frontside bus isn't.... but im not sure when I will get the chance to upgrade and I will be needing the machine as soon as it is delivered... do you think 1GB is enough? I would really love to have more than that.... I know I'll end up needing it...

What would you do?

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 05:43 AM

You can get non-Apple RAM and save some money, that way you could get the 2.7 with 2GB DDR...
That's what I would do.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2005, 07:35 AM

If it was me, I'd opt for the 2.3 but I don't do HD video. I think the 2.7 will be a benefit for you foing that work.

1 gig is barely passable for what your looking to do. get the minimum that apple has and pickup some crucial ram.

Mike

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by nayr x
I want to make sure I get the best setup.

of course the obvious answer is to go with the 2.7, since ram is easily upgradable
Exactly, as example check these RAM prices, To get 2 GB RAM from Apple costs you $450, you can get it from OWC for $288, both are Samsung 2*1GB modules, a pity you can not (I think) buy the G5 with no RAM, at least online from Apple Store.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2005, 08:52 PM

If I were on a tight budget, I'd get the dual 2.3 with the minimum Apple-installed RAM and use what I've got left for as much 3rd party RAM as I could afford (Crucial is my preference). A 2.3GHz machine with 3 or 4GB of RAM will perform better at heavy tasks than a 2.7GHz machine that is RAM-starved.

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2005, 08:57 PM

I edit uncompressed SD video with a Dual 2.0 at my production company, but I edit DV on a maxed out 2.5 in my own suite. A 2.3 should be more than adequate to handle HD. If a 2.0 can handle uncompressed Digital Betacam, then a 2.3 can do HD just fine.

matpop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 04:50 AM

I had the same problem and I have chosen the 2.3 with 2Gb Crucial RAM (bought on eBay for 235$), that's why I saw a test on Barefeats and the difference between the 2.3 and 2.7 is not so notable, instead there is big gap between G5 2.0 and 2.3.
MacMini with 23" Apple display...............

Forum Links
Forum Rules