Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Strange finder "Network" behavior in Tiger

Strange finder "Network" behavior in Tiger
bjresta
Sep 17, 2005, 11:19 AM

Have recently purchased an iMac G5 and therefore have moved to Tiger. Only problems so far have been the "spinning ball" on opening Spotlight (expected, after reading comments in these forums) and weird behavior out of Network (unexpected).

Note that I am using Airport Extreme and have an iBook on the network as well as the iMac G5.

First: when there are no finder windows open, and I choose Network from the Go menu, NOTHING HAPPENS. Choosing Network this way does not open a Finder window with Network selected.

Second: if a finder window is open and I choose Network, a Library alias shows up in the subchoices for Network . The original of the Library alias is given as /automount/Library.

Third: from the sidebar, when I choose my Computer in column view, Network comes up in the list, but its icon is just a plain folder rather than the usual Network icon, and no subfolders or files are listed in the column to the right. However, when I choose Network from the Sidebar, the icon is correct and its subchoices come up in the adjacent column (along with that pesky Library alias).

I am able to connect between my computers okay using the Connect to Server command from the Go menu.

Also, when I use Network from the iBook (which runs Panther), two choices show up representing the iMac. The name of one is the correct computer name. The name of the other is its IP address.

These behaviors are confusing and not what I experienced when I ran Panther on my previous iMac. They persist after restarts.

Anybody have an explanation?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2005, 09:40 AM

1. What do you mean you get the beach ball when opening Spotlight? You mean when you click on the Spotlight menu? How long is it beach balled?

2. This behaves as expected for me.

3. I always see the correct Network icon, but do I see the alias icon when looking at Network/Library.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bjresta  (op)
Sep 18, 2005, 10:24 AM

In reply:

1. I was getting the rolling beachball on choosing Spotlight either from the menubar or from the keyboard shortcuts. Beachball lasted anywhere from 15 seconds to over a minute. However, this behavior has disappeared after once more trashing the spotlight prefs (com.apple.spotlight.plist).

2. Still have the Network issues after multiple restarts of my computer and/or network. Still have Network showing as a folder, still have an alias for Library showing up in addition to Servers when Network is selected in a Finder window. There don't appear to be any bad consequences to this so far, but it is not what I expect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules