Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > problem authorizing a new computer for Music Store tunes

problem authorizing a new computer for Music Store tunes
bjresta
Sep 20, 2005, 07:20 PM

Just moved my stuff to a new iMac G5. Of course, I couldn't play my Music Store downloads, so I provided my apple id and password and authorized my computer to play them. iTunes confirmed that my computer was now authorized. However, it still won't let me play the music! When I try to play it, I get the same "not authorized" message again. This happens whether I log out and log in again or restart. I keep repeating the authorization process, but it doesn't take.

I only have one other computer authorized to play the tunes.

Others have suggested repairing disk permissions. I have done this, but the problem persists.

Any idea what is going on? Any suggestions?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2005, 06:36 AM

Sounds like a bug; I couldn't find any solution after a brief search. If you get on the bullhorn with Apple, they should assist you with the problem.

By the way, that, folks, is why Digital Restrictions Management is always a bad thing. It's about preventing people from using their own computers.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 06:51 AM

Get on the bullhorn? Apple doesn't provide telephone technical support for iTunes Music Store.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
By the way, that, folks, is why Digital Restrictions Management is always a bad thing. It's about preventing people from using their own computers.
True enough but do you have a better solution The recording studios (as greedy as they are) have every right to protect their assets.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 08:13 AM

Deauthorize the computer. Then re-authorize it.

bjresta  (op)
Sep 21, 2005, 07:20 PM

I have deauthorized and then authorized the computer several times, but the authorization does not take.

bjresta  (op)
Oct 11, 2005, 04:58 PM

Okay, my problem is solved.

It turns out I had TWO iTunes accounts:

[email protected]

and

username (without the @mac.com)

I had thought that I only had one account, the mac.com account.

After iTunes support told me that I had two accounts, I logged in using the other one and was able to authorize my songs.

Hope this helps someone else!

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 11:42 PM

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. I have to accounts, but one has never been used with iTunes before. Still, it keeps asking for authorization before letting me play any purchased songs. I authorize the computer, which is successful, but then it asks to authorize it AGAIN!!!?? Why is this happening?

bjresta  (op)
Jan 22, 2006, 02:21 AM

Try the solution that worked for me. Try logging in under what you think is your account name. For example, if you think it is "alligator," first try logging in as "alligator" (I assume you've done this already, and it's failed). Then try logging in as "[email protected]". Adding that "@mac.com" is what made the difference for me!

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules