Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Did 10.4.7 Kill SSH?

Did 10.4.7 Kill SSH?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 03:54 AM

I just noticed a strange problem. I'm not 100% sure that this has happened since 10.4.7 because I don't use SSH much these days. BUT. I checked right now, and none of my 10.4.7 machines seem able to SSH into any other machines. They get "Connection Closed by [ip]". Weather going into other 10.4.7 machines or into a few 10.3.9 machines. BUT my 10.3.9 machines can SSH into my 10.4.7 machines no problem. This is very strange. Its like Apple just... killed the SSH client.
( Last edited by l008com; Jul 30, 2006 at 06:33 AM. Reason: more accurate title, why what of it?)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 06:54 AM

SSH is working fine on all my 10.4.7 Macs. I use it daily.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 06:57 AM

Do have a special ssh option set? Do a 'which ssh' and check your ~/.ssh/config to be sure you're not using something that is giving you trouble with 10.4.7's ssh. I didn't even know they changed ssh versions with 10.4.7.

OreoCookie
Jul 7, 2006, 08:04 AM

Works fine on both a PowerPC PowerBook and a MacBook Pro.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cms
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 09:43 AM

No problems here on a Powermac G5 Dual and a MacBook Pro.

cambro
Senior User
Jul 8, 2006, 07:57 AM

No problems here either.

I've SSH'd from 3 different 10.4.7 machines into a 10.4.6 machine without any problem.

Sounds like you have a problem unique to your particular setup?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 04:44 AM

OK This is becoming a real problem. None of the three 10.4.7 computers here on my home network can SSH into each other. I'm on the same plain old switch I've always been on. I've done nothing to SSH. Yes I double checked to make sure it was turned on in the first place. Yet every time I try to SSH into anything, i get 'Connection closed by [ip]'. I even tried an Archive & Install on one of them to see if somehow that fixed things. It didn't. I have one 10.3.9 system on the network, and it IS able to SSH into the other 10.4.7 machines. It definitely seems like a problem with the SSH client application itself.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 04:57 AM

A little more playing with the 10.3.9 machine reveals that it only kinda works. It can connect to some 10.4.7 machines (very slowly) but can't connect to others at all. And I found a 10.4.6 machine and fired it up. It can't seem to connect to anything. Although, in addition to the usual 'connection closed' messages, this machine did give me a pair of "broken pipe" errors that I haven't gotten already. It almost seems like a network problem, but everything else runs fine, and my whole network is a simple, single 8 port switch.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 06:27 AM

You killed ssh.

it works for the rest of the world.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 07:25 AM

You could try installing the full 10.4.7 updater rather than just the delta upgrade. Some people have seen problems disappear when they applied the full update.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 03:29 PM

My 10.4.6 machine seems to be having problems too so I'm starting to think its not a 10.4.7 specific issue. I tried modifying the title of this thread to reflect that but it didn't work.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 05:30 AM

OK I think I'm making some headway here. I was at a clients house today, and while waiting for some blue bars, I tried connecting to my server via SSH and it went through super fast. It is as if the problem is my network. But since I have issues going through the internet, and from computer to computer on my network, the only possibility I can think of, is that my switch is malfunctioning. Can a simple switch break in such a way, that you can't SSH through it, but everything else works through it no problem? I'm ordering a new switch anyway since I've been wanting to upgrade to gigabit, but I'm not 100% convinced it will solve my problem, since it kind of makes no sense to me.

siMac
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 07:05 AM

Are you using a firewall?
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2006, 08:17 AM

try a "ssh -v hostname" to see where it is failing. You can also try a:

telnet hostname 22

To see if the SSH daemon is listening on this port. Please tell us about any changes you made to your ssh config (such as disabling passwords as a form of authentication). Are you running the SSH agent software? Are these machines running firewalls that are blocking port 22?

I can almost guarantee that the operating system has absolutely nothing to do with this problem, don't waste your time focussing your energies there.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 03:11 PM

No machine has its own firewall. I have made absolutely no changes to ssh configs, and i wouldn't know how either. I have one firewall on my router, but i'm having as much trouble SSHing inside my network as I do outside. And my router is separate from my switch. As I said above, I'm thinking my switch is dying.

This is me SSH'ing to a local machine (not over a VPN):
[G5:~] johnm% ssh -v 172.16.0.3
OpenSSH_3.8.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7i 14 Oct 2005
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Connecting to 172.16.0.3 [172.16.0.3] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /Users/johnm/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/johnm/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/johnm/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_3.8.1p1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.8.1p1
debug1: An invalid name was supplied
Cannot determine realm for numeric host address

A parameter was malformed
Validation error

Cannot determine realm for numeric host address

A parameter was malformed
Validation error

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
Write failed: Broken pipe

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 04:29 PM

Something might be amiss in your SSH hosts file.
Go to /Users/yourusername/.ssh (you'll need to use the Finder's Go menu, as this folder normally is invisible) and temporarily remove the "known_hosts" file.
Then, try SSH'ing...

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 04:29 PM

OK I just switched out my switch and turned off my firewall, and I still can't SSH in this house. Now I'm at a complete loss. I was sure the switch was it. I even tried turning my server off all together (i run a software router on my server, which plugs into my cable modem, and into my switch.) Still nothing. At this point I have no idea at all. Other than the fact that I'm going to have to go find someplace else to work today since I can't do what I need to do from home.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Something might be amiss in your SSH hosts file.
Go to /Users/yourusername/.ssh (you'll need to use the Finder's Go menu, as this folder normally is invisible) and temporarily remove the "known_hosts" file.
Then, try SSH'ing...
i already tried removing that file. I used to have to delete it all the time because SSH wouldn't let me connect to a machine i believe if it's IP changed. I just did it again though for the sake of completeness, I still can't SSH. Plus keep in mind that I can SSH when I'm on someone else's network. Its only when I'm home, I can't SSH.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 31, 2006, 05:33 PM

I'm completely unclear on your network setup. When you say you "turned off your server," exactly what do you mean? What is the exact net setup on the host machine? Does it have multiple network interfaces or anything like that going on?
I'd suggest taking your host machine and your client machine and plug only those two machines into one switch or even connect them directly with one cable- you don't need any router whatsoever for this sort of test. Assign them both static IP addresses and repeat your test. It sounds like there's something else interfering with your ssh session and I'd suspect the configuration of your software router (whatever it is) first.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 06:08 PM

OK I have a single switch. Everything plugs into that switch. One of the machines plugged into it is my self declared server. It has two ethernet ports, one into the switch and one into the cable modem. It acts as my firewall and router. No other machines have any firewall or routing enabled. When I said i turned off my server, the point of that was if somehow, someway, the firewall on the router was interfering with computers inside the network SSH'ing to one another. It seemed to have no effect. Also there is no ONE host machine, I have 3 or 4 machines in addition to the 'server', and I try to connect to all of them, from all of them. With very little success.

One of the machines an iBook,. It has the SSH problems just like all the rest. Right now I am at my grandmothers house, on that same iBook, and I am able to SSH into my server (not my home server, my server at a data center) no problem. Something is wrong with my home network but I can't imagine what. With the server off, the only thing the machines have in common is the switch, but I swapped that out and the problem didn't go away. I've never been so stumped on a computer problem before.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2006, 02:35 AM

So I went to google and typed in your error message. Two suggestions came up.

This one:

http://forums1.macosxhints.com/archi...p/t-43743.html

and another that had his DNS pointing to his router. Once he pointed it to his ISP's DNS servers, all was fine.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2006, 03:11 AM

It must have been the 10.4.7 update. Because this newest security update, which updated, among other things, OpenSSH, seems to have fixed the problem on all my machines as I've updated them. Its great to have my hands untied again!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2006, 03:24 AM

If it really was the updater, re-applying the Combo updater should have probably done the trick.

glowingcactus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 10:19 AM

I use a bash script which uses the sftp command with the -b option to run a batch file (a list of files and directories to sftp)

Before 10.4.7 this bash script all worked nicely. Now it fails on the authentication stage. ( I always use keyboard-interactive). In 10.4.7 this bombs out thinking there is no more authentication methods available to try. It does not even prompt for a password

Here is the really strange part:

if I just delete the -b <batchfilename> then the authentication goes ahead as before in pre 10.4.7.

OpenSSH has changed version to 4.2p1 in 10.4.7 (and recent update) from 3.8.1p1

Can anyone on the command line in 10.4.7 with and without -b foobar
eg

sftp -b foobar username@hostaddress

where foobar is a local file containing just say a cd command (no actual sftp required)
and of course substitute real 'username' & 'hostaddress'
_ _ _____________ _ _
GC

dell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2006, 06:31 AM

Since upgrading to 10.4.7 i now cannot SSH either

I also have just bought a new iMac and has 10.4.7 on it and that doesnt work either.

I ssh'd regularly in 10.4.6

ssh loopback works ok on both. Have narrowed it down to dns.

Solutions that I have tested and fix the problem for me:

1) Set router to DHCP
2) Set router to DHCP serve static IP (if your router supports it)
3) manually insert ISP's Dns servers into system prefs.

I have gone for option 1&2 as i have a couple of machines that need static IP. : and the rest i don't mind what IP they get.

Forum Links
Forum Rules