Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Rant: Whoever said mac os x is more stable than windows is an idiot!

Rant: Whoever said mac os x is more stable than windows is an idiot! (Page 2)
yakirz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2006, 09:49 AM

It's a shame these things have happened, but it's not that OS X is ****, or unstable... I've run OS X on a 266 MHz iMac since 2002, and on an iBook G3 for over a year, without a problem. Usually with uptimes in weeks. OS X is a far more stable, trouble-free OS than Windows. I repair my company's PCs, I know.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The OP obviously has defective hardware. So everyone is disagreeing with him because it's not that OS X is unstable, it is his computer that is broken.
Maybe Macs are just as bad as any PC, but it's still user error. Neither OS X nor Windows require a reformat every two months.
again, I'm going to have to disagree. If something has to steadily be done over time, and pretty predictable intervals, its a safe assumption, its not user error.

gradient >> I've had other computers that are running their original installation. But I've had many more that require a format. Fact is, nothing is perfect. All you can do is follow the directions you're given, go with what you've learned and hope for the best. With my Apple's and PCs (PCs with reliable hardware, not scrapheap or bargain bin stuff) its not always reliable no matter what you do.

Especially with Apple's, its a given that if you are an early adopter of an apple product, chances are you're going to buy a paperweight. Your odds get better as the revisions come out, but still... Apples are nothing more than a PC running a different OS. And the OS is far from perfect.... but that's a whole different argument.

My point all along is, just because the OP had a horrible experience thus far with his Apples, and some in this forum refuse to believe that the deity Jobs can do wrong, doesn't mean Apple's are perfect, and anyone who has worked in a large Apple environment knows you will definately spend a whole lot of time fixing idiotic things. All you can really do is hope they get it right the next time.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

godrifle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by hatim View Post
So if according to Apple my OS died without me being able to save my data once, and then again apparently because of a software problem, there is still no doubt in my mind that OS X needs a hell lot of more improvement.

Ofcourse the Apple store could have been wrong.
Friend, you need a reality check. Of course this isn't an OS X problem; No way, no how. That's the tack you need to take with Apple Store.

The fact that you could even consider your woes to be an OS problem is a leading indicator that you are far less experienced with computers than you claim. Now, don't take offense at that statement; it's not a condemnation. We all have varying degrees of computing expertise, and it's these somewhat painful experiences that move us forward in that department. I just think you'll be able to resolve your problem more effectively if you are realistic with yourself about your true ability to diagnose a problem with your system.

There is a hardware problem with this computer, period. It needs to be replaced, period. You are one of a very small minority of Apple customers who have this problem, period.

kick52
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by godrifle View Post
Friend, you need a reality check. Of course this isn't an OS X problem; No way, no how. That's the tack you need to take with Apple Store.

The fact that you could even consider your woes to be an OS problem is a leading indicator that you are far less experienced with computers than you claim. Now, don't take offense at that statement; it's not a condemnation. We all have varying degrees of computing expertise, and it's these somewhat painful experiences that move us forward in that department. I just think you'll be able to resolve your problem more effectively if you are realistic with yourself about your true ability to diagnose a problem with your system.

There is a hardware problem with this computer, period. It needs to be replaced, period. You are one of a very small minority of Apple customers who have this problem, period.
thanks for explaining the situation

i agree.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2006, 02:53 AM

Now 5 going 6 years from my first iBook.... I still have to format every 2 months. It could possibly be user error, but going with the fact that I spend every weekday fixing Apple's for prepress departments of printing houses.... Im going to go with maybe I'm not the user causing errors... and maybe an Apple is just as bad as any PC.
Reformat every 2 months? Are you kidding me?

I've owned probably a dozen Macs over 18 years and I've probably done 3 formats in all that time.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2006, 04:01 AM

Yes, and besides that, due to the Archive and Install option, you never have to reformat the disk even if there is a software problem, unless the hard drive itself is seriously borked.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2006, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Try explaining that to the Apple Store!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2006, 05:12 AM

I'd explain it like this:

1. The problem persisted even after a reinstall

2. The problem occurred with Windows as well as OS X

Hardware. Case closed.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2006, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I'd explain it like this:

1. The problem persisted even after a reinstall

2. The problem occurred with Windows as well as OS X

Hardware. Case closed.
The problem went away for a month after a reinstall.

Windows works fine normally. Just a crash every 20-30 boots.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 03:53 AM

The problem went away for a month after a reinstall.

Windows works fine normally. Just a crash every 20-30 boots.
Still abnormal.

I switched from Windows 2000 to MacOS X because of OS X's superior stability.
Macintosh System 7.5-9.x, got fed up with OS 8 & 9's crashiness. Used Windows 2000 for a year on a Dell 1GHz P-III. Switched back to MacOS X with a Dual 800MHz Quicksilver G4. Now on a 2.66GHz Mac Pro. I only reboot the machine when I want to; not for any other reason.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2006, 07:31 PM

I have had ZERO crashes in either OS X (since Panther) or XP (since it came out). There's no reason for an OS to crash if the user works within the parameters of the system. For example, installing a bunch of programs without a restart makes Windows downright unstable. I have managed to make my MBP do stupid things ONCE-by closing the lid before it had completely finished shutting down. This simply confused the machine as to whether it was shutting down or going to sleep, and just holding the power button until it restarted fixed the problem entirely.

I simply can't agree that OS X is "defective" or "difficult to manage" or "unstable." Wrong O. (Of course there are a lot of people who manage to get Microsoft's most stable OS to date (not counting Vista which has no track record as of yet) to get downright ugly and brain damaged. This gives me evidence that the old saw is true: "You cannot make anything completely fool proof because fools are so ingenious."

Just my2¢...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have managed to make my MBP do stupid things ONCE-by closing the lid before it had completely finished shutting down. This simply confused the machine as to whether it was shutting down or going to sleep.
Of course that's still a bug (and closing a notebook while it is shutting down is even sort of reasonable).

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2006, 11:05 PM

I work at an organization where there are 5000+ employees, including 3000+ engineers. About 40% of the desktops/laptops are Macintosh, most of the rest are PCs (there are a few employees who make a Linux box their main computers). The IT folks told me that they spend about 99% of their time working to resolve all kinds of issues with the 60% of the users who are PC users, machines not working right, software conflicts, crashes, blue screens, virus/adware/spyware, odd problems like not booting or waking up some morning and all emails are gone etc. With the Macs, when some goes amiss, which is somewhat rare, they send a guy with a universal boot disk, Tech Tool Pro, and Disk Warrior and it is usually a quick visit. Or if it's a hardware issue, they just bring a "loaner" that's the same model as the problematic one, and move the hard drive from one into the other and you use that while the original is being fixed.

All this crashing and rebooting described above on a Mac doesn't sound normal to me. It certainly doesn't jive with my personal anecdotal experience -- the two iMacs I have at home have never had a kernel panic (owned the G3 since 2002 and the G5 since June 2005) and my G4 Powerbook that I use at work has had one in 3 years that had something to do with not waking from sleep.

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2006, 05:35 AM

My hard disk is dead and they will replace it for me. I will report back when I am finally able to collect it (May take a couple of weeks. Im leaving town tommorrow)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2006, 10:22 AM

Of course that's still a bug (and closing a notebook while it is shutting down is even sort of reasonable).
Sure, a bug indeed. But such a minor one, since it takes so little time for a Mac to shut down, and I was VERY new to this wonderful silver box of mine that I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing anyway. It appears that timing is critical to this-one second later and it would not have made things lock up...

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2006, 10:23 AM

My hard disk is dead and they will replace it for me. I will report back when I am finally able to collect it (May take a couple of weeks. Im leaving town tommorrow)
I'm glad your problem was identified. And as you can see, a hardware problem can indeed make a great OS "less stable." Sorry for your problems, but I'm glad they'll be repaired.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2006, 01:06 PM

Sorry that this happened to you. This is not the normal way OSX works. I bought a brand new imac G5 3 years ago, and the hard drive failed 2 months in. Yes, it was very frustrating, but once everything was fixed, I have been a happy converter. I did have problems as well on the Windows side. I have had a HD fail, RAM die etc... It is the nature of computers. If you have not had these problems on the Windows side, then you have been fortunate. Computers fail. I have a back up strategy for this reason.

I hope that your future OSX experience is better. It was for me...
My Blog-pakos.me

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2006, 04:49 PM

I have to agree it has to be a hardware problem. Sounds like bad RAM, or overheating. On a correctly working Mac, you should never crash, period. As a matter of fact, I've never had XP blue screen on me on a correctly working PC, either. If the matter persists, email the Steve and demand a new machine.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2006, 02:56 AM

That's good. OS X probably could have more problems with a faulty HD because I believe it accesses the hard drive a lot more than windows doing various kernel tasks, and is more likely to hit the bad sector more often.

OreoCookie
Dec 28, 2006, 10:22 AM

Essentially, you cannot expect even flawless and bugless software to run trouble-free on faulty hardware.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 03:40 AM

In 15 year's experience as a Mac consultant with some hundreds of clients / thousands of client machines, I rarely came across incidents of Mac hardware / software failing in the way described without it ultimately turning out to be user error; usually, big problems manifested themselves as D.O.A.s, or distinctly manifested shortly thereafter, and would be fixed ASAP (blown pixels being the notable exception).

Actually, to be quite blunt, it was usually gung-ho ex-Windows users who did surprising things - like drop their brand new PowerBooks 5 feet onto concrete when it carrying carelessly to the aeroplane (good one Mark H), or who thought they knew all about it and would go and put cheap, third party RAM in without protecting themselves from static (go Jimmy A!), or who had kids with creative views on the laws of physics and computing devices (go Mark B, Pete S, Adam E, etc. etc.), or who put weirdly shaped optical media in slot-load DVD drives (Bertie D) etc. – who were the most likely culprits (alternatively, there was the ‘typical’ Mac client who did interesting things like spill expensive wine all over their PowerBook keyboard (Johnny S, nearly all the staff at RIU!!!), but they usually laughed at their own silliness and were happy to pay to have me fix it, while the ex-Windows guys were sometimes quite grumpy at having to pay up). As such, with a bit of simple detective work, I was nearly always able to determine the exact “decision” that lead to the problem, then fix it (if it didn’t result in irreparable / hardware damage).

Now I am not saying that this is what happened here; indeed, I have no hard evidence at all to prove any theory. Moreover, I must also confess that I have very little experience with these new Intel models (I always hold back personally with drastically new models, and got out of the game just before the transition).

However, I would be shocked to discover that the same very stable OS I use every day on a variety of machines – e.g. I am writing this on the Mrs’s 4 year old G4 PowerBook which has never had an OS reinstall and has had numerous updates incrementally added since OS X 10.0 – should be regarded as unstable due to one user’s bad experiences (whatever the cause).

On the other hand, I am presently staying with the in-laws for the holidays, and the mother-in-law uses Windows XP; as she has a posse of Windows lovers to answer to, and she has Multiple Sclerosis so she is scared that she won’t be able to learn something as drastically difficult as OS X (she won’t be reading this BTW). After her friend went out and bought + built her a bucket of bargain basement bits to replace her previous cheap clunker which actually started smoking 2 holidays ago, she has needed four complete rebuilds resulting in total data loss each time (I am called upon to resupply common files such as photos each time, and beg her to just bite the bullet and get an iMac).

In marked contrast, in each and every Mac user disaster case described above, not a single file was lost that wasn’t the result of a user initiated “delete”. Even ***total*** HD failures were so infrequent that I honestly can’t recall the last one that resulting in wailing and gnashing of teeth (i.e. where I couldn’t get DiskWarrior to works its magic and back the data up before transferring to a new HD).

Thus, in short, if I was a betting man, I would ***guess*** - with the emphasis on GUESS - either a genuine hardware fault that should be fixed by Apple ASAP, or – sorry to say it – user error.

But either way, nothing excuses bad support (or lack thereof), so I would try contacting Apple directly until I got someone helpful, and document everything along the way.

slotcarbob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 10:31 AM

OK, so one guy in 10 million is having a hissy fit from his issues, and Apple and OS X is garbage, and you people coddle this person. Let me give you my WINDOWS story. I have one Windows machine in the house (used for my race track software). In the last 2 years, I have "repaired" or "reinstalled" Windows XP 9 times. NINE TIMES. Now, I am so good at fixing computers, I even repair notebooks. Does my experience mean that Windows, and MS are crap? Come on, get real, people. This guy is eather a Troll, or has no clue. He can't even express himself in proper English half the time. Sheeesh.

BTW, James R has it right.

ZinkDifferent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 02:35 PM

slotcarbob - you apparently didn't notice that hatim seems to be from Pakistan, and that he does, express himself quite well in English. Furthermore, it turns out that his problems were a combination of a defective hard drive, and some real morons at the genius bar of his Apple Store.

He expressed his initial frustration (can't blame him) with the experience, but it appears that the combined help of this forum set him on the right path, and he's getting his hardware fixed (if it isn't fixed already).

Your debasing attitude doesn't help.

Powermarc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 01:25 AM

Well, first post here, but i will try to be as helpfull as i can get.

Describing the problems you got with your MacBook is in no way related to the OS (Either OS X or Windows) but i highly doubt that the hard disk is having bad blocks. I would bet you that if you reinstall your MacOS X (or if it's working OK) pop the terminal (/Applications/Utilities) open and type "tail -f /var/log/system.log" (without the quotes) and see if you got any I/O Errors in the logs while your beachball problem is appearing. You may also want to use a software called Console (same place as Terminal) to check previous system logs if your system has been installed since a couple of days, in there, you may want to check again if you got I/O Errors in previous system logs. (I don't know how knowlegeable of either BSD or MacOS X so i'm trying to be as basic as possible...)

Personnal experience is that 98% of the problems related to endless beachball spins, and the fact that you mention that BOTH MacOS X and Windows (surely installed with Bootcamp) are working erraticly, and you replaced the RAM (assuming it's known good RAM) suggest that your hard disk is the problem. It is an extremely rare occurence that software are causing those problems over and over again, unless you installed some old and crappy piece of software on your computer (things like Internet Explorer or such old piece of binary debris). Remember that since it's an Intel-based Mac, you have to take extra care about having the latest versions of your softwares.

If you stumble across those errors, kindly take your MacBook to the Apple Service Provider of your choice and ask them to replace the hard disk because there is some bad blocks on the disk.

Please post your findings. Thanks.

And to comment on some tellings: MacOS X is by far more stable than anything you may compare to any given Windows Versions... But other argued on that point, i will not add oil on the fire!
( Last edited by Powermarc; Dec 31, 2006 at 01:41 AM. )

idyll
Senior User
Dec 31, 2006, 05:13 AM

it's a mac forum, what do you expect ... go to a windows forum and they'll tell you how much macs suck. really, they both have their faults and pluses.. i like both

Corpsecorps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 05:47 AM

Macs are generally stable as a rock. This doesn't sound like a Mac or OS X thing.

I find PC's useful, too... as targets on a shooting range: Slightly moreso if they're running linux instead of ex-pee, but it's marginal.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 09:02 PM

We don't want this kind of user owning a Macintosh anyways. Anyone that says "I've been building PC Desktops for over 5 years" does not belong to our upper class society. Obviously he's a dumbass even if it is the hardware and he can go back to the sub-par PC world where he belongs.

All Hail Steve Jobs!

(I'm not even being sarcastic in my post.)

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2006, 09:37 PM

Mac OS X is frustrating at first. I suggest giving it some more time. I would install Firefox if you use the internet a lot. It is easier to navigate than safari and it is more comfortable for a former windows user.

nat
Jan 1, 2007, 09:14 AM

"Infact, I have been building PC destops for over 5 years now and never have I had a problems like this with windows where I can not even save my data. If someone did have important or sentimental data on it, he would probably be more angry than I am now."

5 years eh? 10 years of PC support here, 4 years as Windows network administrator and pal if you've never had a problem where you cant' save your data then you should count your blessings. Believe me, out in the real world Windows machines die all the time where all data is lost.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 1, 2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by timmerk View Post
We don't want this kind of user owning a Macintosh anyways. Anyone that says "I've been building PC Desktops for over 5 years" does not belong to our upper class society. Obviously he's a dumbass even if it is the hardware and he can go back to the sub-par PC world where he belongs.

All Hail Steve Jobs!

(I'm not even being sarcastic in my post.)
But you are being rude, arrogant, and against the spirit of these forums. The whole thread is clearly labeled a RANT, so let the guy vent!

I got my BS in computer science using PCs, in part because my university couldn't afford the Macs that would have been needed to run the department. Thanks for your elitist attitude. And I'm not being sarcastic either.

quiviran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2007, 03:21 PM

Actually, since I bought the macbook from the UK to Pakistan, they got misplaced in transit apparently. Either that or my mom threw them away.
I'm curious exactly which Apple Store hatim is dealing with. The computer was purchased in the UK, then moved to Pakistan. What store was it bought from? Who is he attempting to get service from? Maybe the Apple reseller in Pakistan just isn't that interested in getting involved with a computer they didn't sell.

MacGeek50
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2007, 10:24 PM

Mac OSX is proven to be 1000 times more stable than Windows. I've owned Macs for years and experience a kernal panic about once a year and usually it comes from defective hardware. OSX isn't perfect but after fooling around with a hosed Windows system, I'm compelled to think of OSX as near perfection. Windows is so backwards and frustrating. Of course HP didn't include a disc with Windows and only had a restore feature that didn't work. So the computer remains unused until I can buy a Windows Disc. ARRG!!!!!!

2nd time since I bought my mac Ive had this problem. mac os sh!t won't boot at all while windows works fine. I feel like a stupid arse to have bought a macbook. First time I was charged $35 for an "OS reinsall" becuase I lost my original backup disk. If this peice of stupid sh!t needs a reinstall every 2 months, Im afraid mac os x is way behing windows.

I guess, Im stuck trying to use windows without a proper right key.

edit: My hard disk is dead and they will replace it for me.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2007, 03:01 AM

The OG has all the right to complain. I have some serious grumbles about OSX and its stability. In particular the I/O system in OSX is particularly problematic. I've seen huge problems with OSX beachballing and becoming completely unresponsive to ANY user input other than pulling the power. Ive seen on numerous repeatable occasions where a USB flash stick is inserted in PowerBooks and Intel iMac's USB ports, OSX beachballs instantly and forever, absolutely nothing can be done other than force shutdown the system by pulling the power cord or holding the power button down until the machine is killed. Ive seen the same with optical media as well.

OSX's I/O system is just too dumb to give up after a defined time lapse and return to a normal useable state an throw up an error dialog. Nothing here has changed in behavior since Mac OS 9x and below. In my mind an out of control beachball is no different to a OS 9 freeze. Either way a forced shutdown is the ONLY solution.

jhorvatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 10:43 AM

2nd time since I bought my mac Ive had this problem. mac os sh!t won't boot at all while windows works fine. I feel like a stupid arse to have bought a macbook. First time I was charged $35 for an "OS reinsall" becuase I lost my original backup disk. If this peice of stupid sh!t needs a reinstall every 2 months, Im afraid mac os x is way behing windows.

I guess, Im stuck trying to use windows without a proper right key.

edit: My hard disk is dead and they will replace it for me.
Losing your install disks is your fault not Apple's. If it is losing the OS either you're doing something like moving system files around or installing software improperly. I have 3 Macs all running perfectly on Tiger with the latest updates. You might want to bring it into an Apple store and have them do a hardware diagnostic on your Macbook. It could be bad memory or a hard drive. The OS is far more stable than any Windows system on the planet. I work with Windows everyday as a Desktop Support tech, so I know what I'm talking about. The company is slowly introducing Macs as more and more customers are finding out that they are more stable than Windows and they don't get viruses or spyware either.

James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Targon View Post
The OG has all the right to complain. I have some serious grumbles about OSX and its stability. In particular the I/O system in OSX is particularly problematic ... Either way a forced shutdown is the ONLY solution.
If you are talking about spinning beach balls when you insert media, it's the Finder application you are having problems with, and you can force quit this like any other application.

I have never, in 15 year's consultancy, had to pull the power on any Mac machine. OS 9 machines had a soft reboot option while OS X's Finder restarts with a force quit. I can't recall the last time I had true OS X lock up; I think it was maybe a beta for 10.1?

No wonder there are so many Mac users out there with problems if they are pulling the power. Oh well, at least the consultants will be quitely smiling about their job security when they read your story.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2007, 10:32 PM

im talking about accessing media and just to repeat since you didn't get it the first time, force quit does not work. The I/O thread consumes the entire kernel and hijacks the machine, NOTHING is operational. Maybe you consultancy years envelope experience covers other areas like setting up printers, in my 25 years of Mac using an tech support i have experienced the above.

James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 05:37 AM

force quit does not work. The I/O thread consumes the entire kernel and hijacks the machine, NOTHING is operational.
Wow, seriously!?! I sure hope this never happens to a laptop user; if it's as you described it, and it needed a power plug pull, they'd have to let their battery go flat before they could recover the machine.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 09:05 AM

just a few months ago got a blackbook (not core 2, dammit) and i have had a few instances of having to hard reboot.
1. transferring files from a windows box over a network, someone turned off the windows box. Finder crashed, and so did the menu bar and keyboard shortcuts didn't work either, so no relaunching it for me. Also tried terminal, killall Finder, launch finder, (yes i figured out the right syntax at the time) but that didn't work either. The other times have all been in fullscreen games, with graphics settings maxed out or near to it (damn that intel gma950 chip, so s***), and when seeing water the framerate drops to zero, no response, and all the keyboard commands/shortcuts are stopped by the game, so no force quit there either. Oh well, it's still better than windows (i'm a first time mac owner and user, bar some time on the first grey crt imacs (crashed all the time until their room got aircon), and before that some apple 2+'s.)

also, sif need to wait for it to go flat - hold down a laptop's power button for ~ 5 seconds sometime, no mater what its doing. I gurantee it will shut off. Or remove the battery.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by James_Rolevink View Post
Wow, seriously!?! I sure hope this never happens to a laptop user; if it's as you described it, and it needed a power plug pull, they'd have to let their battery go flat before they could recover the machine.
You can (hardware) turn off any Mac by pressing and holding the power button. There is never the need to pull the plug.

James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 07:08 PM

You can (hardware) turn off any Mac by pressing and holding the power button. There is never the need to pull the plug.
Agreed; that's precisely what I was saying (read the above), but I was corrected by someone claiming 25 years experience as a consultant who insists you have to pull the power (also read the above). Go figure...

James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 133.7 View Post
just a few months ago got a blackbook (not core 2, dammit) and i have had a few instances of having to hard reboot...
By BlackBook, do you still mean an Intel based Mac, or PowerPC based? Just wondering if there is something about the Intels (that I freely admit I have *very* limited experience with).

BTW I think I had better explain; it seems Americans don't always get Aussie humour / sarcasm (at least not in print; I have a couple of US work colleagues we Aussies are all 'breaking in' ATM, so I supppose I should have known better).

The point is, when I worked as a Mac consultant, a huge bug bear for me was people doing silly things with their Mac, or less frequently experiencing a genuine issue, then 'pulling the power', by which I mean yanking the plug out of the back. They would happily admit that they simply "*had* to pull the power". Now I suppose most people here know how high the risk of data corruption is when you pull the power mid write.

Thus I always suggested that if it gets to the point where you want to give up, please where possible and in this order:
1) force quit the offending application
2) soft reboot
3) power down (with the 'hold the power key' scenario)

To reinforce the point, I would often then add, 'never pull the plug!'.

I still stand by this philosophy, and it will always make me cringe to see people pull the power (I don't care if it's Mac or PC, logically, it can't be good).
( Last edited by James_Rolevink; Jan 3, 2007 at 08:16 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 09:13 PM

yes intel macbook, black, core duo, not core 2. hence my annoyance. It's had to be hard restarted a few times, but still better than windows.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2007, 11:19 PM

Agreed; that's precisely what I was saying (read the above), but I was corrected by someone claiming 25 years experience as a consultant who insists you have to pull the power (also read the above). Go figure...
No, he didn't:

absolutely nothing can be done other than force shutdown the system by pulling the power cord or holding the power button down until the machine is killed.
By BlackBook, do you still mean an Intel based Mac, or PowerPC based? Just wondering if there is something about the Intels (that I freely admit I have *very* limited experience with).
The high-end MacBook is painted black.

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 08:19 AM

I finally got my macbook back. The hard disk was successfully replaced. It has been two days and it has been working without any problems so far.

I must thank everyone here for their help and advice.

Hatim

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by slotcarbob View Post
OK, so one guy in 10 million is having a hissy fit from his issues, and Apple and OS X is garbage, and you people coddle this person. Let me give you my WINDOWS story. I have one Windows machine in the house (used for my race track software). In the last 2 years, I have "repaired" or "reinstalled" Windows XP 9 times. NINE TIMES. Now, I am so good at fixing computers, I even repair notebooks. Does my experience mean that Windows, and MS are crap? Come on, get real, people. This guy is eather a Troll, or has no clue. He can't even express himself in proper English half the time. Sheeesh.

BTW, James R has it right.
Obviously after being educated in a British school for my initial years, my English will differ from accepted American standards. Also, English is NOT my primary language and I still am not comfortable with notebook keypads (which includes my dad's vaio) and hence the typos.

OreoCookie
Jan 5, 2007, 09:15 AM

I finally got my macbook back. The hard disk was successfully replaced. It has been two days and it has been working without any problems so far.
Glad to hear your MacBook finally works.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 10:01 AM

Yay! Hope your problems are behind you...thanks for being patient.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2007, 04:02 PM

I must thank everyone here for their help and advice.

Hatim
Good to hear that your problem was resolved. I'm sorry it took so long for them to get the machine back to you, which seems strange since replacing a hard drive in a MacBook is a dead-simple 5 minute operation (unless it's a MacBook Pro).

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2007, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Good to hear that your problem was resolved. I'm sorry it took so long for them to get the machine back to you, which seems strange since replacing a hard drive in a MacBook is a dead-simple 5 minute operation (unless it's a MacBook Pro).
Actually it was because of the holiday season. They did not have new disks with them and had to order them. It was ready by the 28th but I was out of town until two days ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules