Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Starcraft , Stronghold Crusader on MacBook ?

Starcraft , Stronghold Crusader on MacBook ?
utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2006, 08:19 PM

Has someone experience with those games on a MacBook (Intel Duo 2 Core 2 Ghz) ?

Does it run smoothly ? I just recently switched from Windows but before I buy those games now for Mac I'd rather want to know if its playable ..

Cheers

wake266
Dec 29, 2006, 11:56 PM

on boot camp, i installed starcraft on my 1.83 macbook. runs great, the controlls are substandard at best to to the right clicking factor, and for some reason there is no sound....but it works...

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2006, 04:05 AM

Nah .. I don't mean the Windows version (should have mention it) ..

I have the Windows version but I could buy it for a few bucks for Mac ... and therefore just wondering how it runs native on Mac (and even on Intel ?!?) ....

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 02:25 PM

Just bought Starcraft + Expansion for Mac on eBay ... works perfectly on my Intel MacBook

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 02:25 PM

Oh, and including sound *hint for wake266*

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 11:05 PM

Does it run in a nice resolution? Or in some low like 800? Been ages since I played some Starcraft, but just remembering those cool little zergs makes me want to try again.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2007, 03:55 PM

Starcraft should run fine under OS X. Be sure and grab the OS X installer and OS X updater from Blizzard (Starcraft was originally built for Mac OS 9). (Before you buy Starcraft for Mac, check your CD's. Most copies of Starcraft shipped with both the Mac and PC versions on one disk.) (Oh, you already bought it.)

There is also a Mac version of Stronghold. Not sure about Crusader though.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Black_Rain
Jan 25, 2007, 11:26 AM

yeah... i have a mbp c2d 1ghz... i installed starcraft from my cd and just installed some freeware from apples website to install it....

Runs great...i use an external mouse with a right click, and it works fine... just like on my old pc

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 01:07 PM

Stronghold runs fine on OS X (at least it did on my older G5 so I assume that the Macbook can handle it with ease). Was there a later version of Stronghold for Mac released?

Can anyone attest to the gaming quality of Windows non-3D games such as Starcraft, Stronghold, etc. running under either Parallels or VMWare Fusion?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
Does it run in a nice resolution? Or in some low like 800? Been ages since I played some Starcraft, but just remembering those cool little zergs makes me want to try again.
Resolution is fine .. just not widescreen (black bar right and left)

legacyb4: If it runs on native OS X there is no doubt it runs on Bootcamp Windows too .. I can test it tomorrow or so .. On Parallels ? I doubt it runs with a decent speed ...

Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 09:40 AM

I've been playing Starcraft perfectly on a MBP C2D within Mac OS X 10.4. No slow down, the second core also helps with the mouse lag that I experienced back on my PPC PB, under 10.4. It runs at 640x480, there is no option to change this. It also stretches to fill up the screen. There are no options to stop it from stretching. Overall, the experience on my Intel MBP is much better than on my PPC PB.

People'd be surprised, parallels is very snappy and responsive. Just no 3D acceleration, which is not necessary. I have not tried SC under it though, as I don't have the installer CDs in a usable form anymore. It's using virtualization, so theoretically there is very little slow-down except perhaps when it needs to emulate certain devices (CPU is basically full speed though).

Forum Links
Forum Rules