Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Testing Cross-Developed OS X Programs

Testing Cross-Developed OS X Programs
apostleofzion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2007, 02:14 AM

Hi friends,
I've created a simple audio recording Cocoa application(Universal) using quicktime api.I have Intel MacBookPro
with Tiger and Xcode 2.4.1.
I want the app to run in multiple versions of OS X like 10.1 to 10.4.
I have read the cross-development guide and made the required changes for the app to work across
multiple OS X versions.

(Newbie questions !)
1.But I want to know what is professional solution for testing on various versions of OS X. Is it like developers actually have 10.1 to 10.4 running on different macs?

If the above is the best case what should small developers resort to ?

2.I have only Intel macs. Is there any alternative (company which focuses on testing) to get the testing done on PowerPC macs?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2007, 02:22 AM

In the Windows world, this is where virtualization would come in. Unfortunately, Apple is ridiculous about allowing the developers of virtualization software to include OS X VM guest support -- so yeah, you're pretty much stuck with having to install each OS X version you want to test with on to a machine.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2007, 03:15 AM

Partition a hard drive into multiple partitions and install an OS on each one. Then just startup using whatever one you're currently testing.

And yes, I agree that Apple should work with VMWare to bring virtualization to OS X - even if they ensure it only runs on Macs, it'd still be a huge step forward.

numero
Dec 3, 2007, 03:46 AM

With an Intel Mac you will only be able to get down to 10.4. Before hunting down someone to do the testing on older versions of the OS I would just go and buy an older machine. Probably cost you less in the long run.

I'll plug some local guys. Power Mac Cube | PowerMax
They have some Cubes from $299 to $399. They will boot OS 9 so they should do 10.0 through 10.4.

I second the advice above. Partition the drive and install a different OS into each partition. For 10.1 and 10.2 you can probably get away with 5 Gig partitions. It will be more like 15 Gig when you get up to 10.5.

If you don't have enough space to have each of the OSs installed then I would suggest installing the OS you want and then using Disk Utility to make an image of the partition. Save that image off on another drive and then re-image the OS you want to test. It is much faster than installing by CD/DVD each time.

Watch for endian problems between PPC and Intel and good luck.

-numero
( Last edited by numero; Dec 3, 2007 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Added paragraph about Disk Utility)

apostleofzion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2007, 06:03 AM

Hi,
Thanks to all of your feedback.It seems i have to get a old PPC mac and install all 3 OS and test the application on them.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2007, 03:45 PM

Or you could just target 10.4 and above, which is what most Mac users have. Frankly, you should be targeting 10.5 and above for any new development right now, especially in QuickTime, since 10.5 has the best QTKit available (and QTKit is only 10.4+ anyway). Plus, then you get to use all of the new features of Leopard, including garbage collection.

Forum Links
Forum Rules