Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Starting Out

Starting Out
pandamacnium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2008, 02:22 PM

Hi all,

I have previous programming experiences in C and other languages, but I never actually made a program that would work like a real program that users would use. I have a little project going so I can motivate myself to learn these things, like making an application from ground up with easy user interface and all. What are some starting steps that I could take??

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

asimjalis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2009, 02:39 AM

Here is what works for me. Start with something really simple, that from a programming point of view is trivial. So this will give you time to focus on the other issues -- the stuff that turns code into a products. Things like building, documentation, deployment, setting up a sales website, charging people for the app, licensing, etc. Once you have all that set up you can either make your program more elaborate or create something less trivial.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2009, 02:54 PM

I would agree with the "start simple" advice.

So many new developers (and old ones) start projects and never finish them. With new developers in particular, it's often because their dreams are too big. Once they get into the project and understand the enormity of the task before them, they give up.

Think up the most simple you possibly can. It does not matter if it's not useful or if another one already exists. Just find something you're motivated to do and do it to completion. Once you're finished, you can then extend it to do more if you like, or start planning another app that is just a bit more ambitious than your first.

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 15, 2009, 03:08 PM

building a useful app can be a daunting task for new developers, since often useful "little" apps use a lot of different confusing APIs in order to make things easier for the user. i think i've seen beginning programmers start and finish simple games more than any other sort of application.

what sort of projects are you interested in?
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

sharpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2009, 12:17 AM

I'm a uni student and thought it would be great to try my hand at Mac/iPhone app development. Being a typical (or a-typical, depending) student, I found a text book which I am working through, and I have to say it is great so far. If Cocoa development is something that interests you, check out Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, by Aaron Hillegass. Worth every cent.

I'm also not very good at thinking of new ideas, but another thing that has helped me is picking other people's brains instead—I've got a few mates who have ideas for things they've always wanted to be able to do, and I'm going to try my hand at implementing some of them.

Hope that helps some!

Sharpy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules