Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 10)
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 02:22 AM

omg ntndeosuxors my vdeiogame chiocesrbett3r thenurslololol11!

This is every video game thread. I refuse to believe that most of you even spend any time actually playing video games of any kind.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
I refuse to believe that most of you even spend any time actually playing video games of any kind.

Well i'll admit i dont . it takes me 6-12 months to finish a game. it took my about a year to get through Windwaker. lol...i think being removed from it, gives me a slightly different perspective.

As crazy as what goMac thinks of the PS3...i'm gonna have to agree with him on it. Simple economics really. Now i know you guys think i'm a super-ninty-fanboy....ill admit i like them, i have a bias towards them, with my spending dollars, and i like them as a group of artists as opposed to just engineers. Hear me out....i'd like to have a discussion about it.

Technical and spec superiority dont matter as much as we though it did.
cases in point:
-PS1<N64
-PS2<<GCN<<XBox (Xbo's hackability and subsidized price is what gave it marktershare imo....technical superiority was a good bonus).
-GBA<<<<NDS<<PSP (once again, with mem sticks, etc...hackability was too juicy for the geeks to ignore, as opposed to the NDSs and GBAs potential for hackability. Specs once again i think were just a nice bonus).

Sales figures for the consoles seem to be inversely proportional to the power of the console. with the exception of the Xbox (subsidies definately skewed the result imo...but not dramatically. Sales of the XBox are only around 2 million more than that of the GCN, and has been quite a burdeon on microsoft's wallet).

Blu Ray sweetens the deal...thats for sure. But as you said 10 million HD owners right now...15.5 by the end of 2005. (GCN sales are at around 19 million last i checked). Lack of online was such a sin for Nintendo to commit yet only a TINY fraction of XBox owners got online due to the adoption of broadband. The same can be said of NIntendo hesitation with HD. If your going for mass market appeal, you cant just cater to the few 'elite' and 'early adopters' and 'technophiles'. Figure out what the common denominator is are make the best product given that. example.... iPod (not music player + toaster(novelty)).

At the end of the day, whether or not you will agree. Price matter a lot to most consumers....hardcore gamers will probably sell their mothers for a game console, but im talking mass market appeal here.

The PSP imo....wasnt a good gaming platform. it might be a good product given it's collective features, but how many consumers actually value(will actully use i ntheir day-to-day lives) all the 'added' features ? very few. It has massive geek appeal, ill give you that. But it's not something mrs.i-hate-video-games is gonna pick up....and the price isnt exactly very tempting either. Apparently its difficult to program for and dev costs are quite high especially for a portable console. hence as we now see fewer games. hackability is what pushed it into the hands of consumers(geeks) initially....after that....it's gonna take some dramatic pricce cuts to spur sales imo.

From that, XB360:
-lower price than PS3
-similar feature set
-online(better than what the PS2 has anyway....does it even have online ?)
-early release
-technically it looks a lot simpler than the PS3 what with a PPC and ATI GPU, as opposed to the Cell thats apparently a very customized CPU from what ive heard.

I think the XB360 has a strong possibility to outsell the PS3. it has HD capabilities as well....and if M$ decided to include HD-DVD drives.... which i think they will. the battle for HD will get very interesting.

Lets not forget software development costs, the XB was the most expensive followed by the PS2 and then by the GCN. Also piracy was rampant of the XB and PS2....a lot to do with their 'hackability'. I dont think Devs will be willing to invest even more into projects only to have geeks pirate the software....just dosent seem logical. The XB360's dev costs are probably going to be lower than the PS3s...going from specs and configurations of the two, and some speculation on my part.

As far as Nintendo(which this thread is about), seems to be doing things right by shareholders, developers and consumers.....a good balance imo.
-shareholders get part of the profit (which always seem to be positive)
-dev costs for GCN<PS2<XB, dev costs for NDS<PSP. And Nintendo does a great job to curb piracy.
-consumers get a good...innovative hardware product. great first party software with mass market appeal as opposed to yet another mature blood fest.

The only wrong decision Nintendo made was with their strategy for marketing the GCN, and they have paid dearly for it. The president at that time was a bit of a spaz imo. Iwata seems to have revived the spirit of the company.... you see it in his speaches, the products, the sales figures and the profitd for Nintendo.

I too think the first place will either goto XB360 or NRS. they got a lot going for themselves in the global market. Sony on the other hand, has the 'playstation' brand and specs...and we all saw how much that matters over the past 2 generations.

A wildcard:
As i mentioned earlier.... the NOE president mentioned that we havent seen the full story of the NRS. he equates the 'remote' to Ninty telling people the DS would have two screens, and that some info was witheld...like they didnt tell ppl that the second screen would be a touch screen. Thus far, with everything they have announced for the NRS....i'm honestly stoked. lack of HD is such a minor thing cause...i really dont plan on buying a HD TV anytime soon(3-5 years..i just dont watch that much TV/movies or play videogames to justify the cost....and i think most people fit that category).

As far as specs.... despite the massively varying power of this generations consoles....they all seem to have at least a few titles that just look amazing. GT4 on the PS2, Conker on the XB, RE4 and LOZ:TP for the Cube. who cares how many polygons are being thrown onto the screen as long as it looks....good ? right ?

Cheers

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 4, 2005, 05:48 AM

I don't play any video games. You are correct Mindfad. I like you.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
-PS2<<GCN<<XBox (Xbo's hackability and subsidized price is what gave it marktershare imo....technical superiority was a good bonus).
Where do you come up with PS2<<GCN? Seriously. Let's look at what the PS2 has to offer:

Better graphics
HD video up to 1080i
Dolby Digital audio
DTS audio
USB input for storing data and using peripherals
Online support
Hard drive support
Vast library of titles

So how do you get PS2<<GCN?

*cough*fanboy*cough

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Where do you come up with PS2<<GCN? Seriously. Let's look at what the PS2 has to offer:

Better graphics
HD video up to 1080i
Dolby Digital audio
DTS audio
USB input for storing data and using peripherals
Online support
Hard drive support
Vast library of titles

So how do you get PS2<<GCN?

*cough*fanboy*cough
He's saying the CPU and the GPU are better than the PS2.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 12:34 PM

Alright brace yourself. i suggest you sit down and have a box of tissues readily available just in case.

Nintendo Gamecube Specifications:
-CPU Clock Frequency 485 MHz
-System Memory 40MB
-Graphics processor Clock Frequency 162 MHz
-Floating-point Arithmetic Capability 10.5 GFLOPS (Peak)
-Real-world polygon 6 to 12 million polygons/second (Peak) (Assuming actual game conditions with complex models, fully textured, fully lit, etc)
-Main Memory 24MB MoSys IT-SRAM Less than 10ns Sustainable Latency
-Performance 64 simultaneous channels
(http://www.gamesworlduk.co.uk/gamecu...cification.htm)

Sony Playstation2 Specifications:
-System Clock Frequency: 294.912MHz
-Main Memory: 32MB
-Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
-3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 Million Polygons per second (NOT in game)
-Graphics synthesizer System Clock Frequency: 147MHZ
-On chip Memory: 4MB DRAM
-Number of Voices: 48 channels
(http://www.gamesworlduk.co.uk/playst...cification.htm)

(Also worth mentioning is that the Gamecube has 8 texture units as opposed to 4 on the PS2 and Xbox. matters a lot more than polygon counts imo....better "effects" and all)

So yeah thats where i get "PS2<<GCN". Welcome to *cough*reality*cough*.

As for harddrive , online, USB... if i wanted a PC/mac id buy one, Also if i wanted a toaster, microwave, dishwasher, camera..id buy one. In this case, i want a gaming console.

Oh and for sake of this argument where we are comparing the technical specifications of hardware (since its obvious you have no debating skills whatsoever)...price, number of titles and "add-on" features dont count. just thought id mention it, hope thats not too difficult to comprehend.

Also, it's called google (http://www.google.com) check it out.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 4, 2005 at 12:42 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
He's saying the CPU and the GPU are better than the PS2.
Huh? Do you two share the same brain?

If you're going to make a general statement like that, try being specific. Are you talking about tech specs? Number of games released? Market share?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 12:46 PM

Well Lookie here. Some news came out TODAY to back up what I said last night

"Paramount Pictures, a company that was previously exclusively backing HD-DVD as the format to replace the DVD, has announced it will also be supporting the rival format, Blu-Ray. Apparently a major reason for the switch in support was the Playstation 3, which will include a next-gen Blu-Ray drive at release.
Sony was a major proponent of the original DVD format, in that their Playstation 2 console was so much cheaper than regular dedicated DVD players. The PS2 increased the adoption rate of the DVD due to its low price and the lure of a low price DVD player made people buy PS2s. It’s likely that Sony is going for the same tactic this time around. Dedicated Blu-Ray players will likely be more expensive than the Playstation 3 at launch, leading consumers to pick up a PS3 purely for the High Definition playback. Expect Sony to take a substantial hit on each PS3 as they try and lure bargain hunter consumers."

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000680061701/
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 12:48 PM

Huh? Do you two share the same brain?

If you're going to make a general statement like that, try being specific. Are you talking about tech specs? Number of games released? Market share?

Umm... Specifications(technical). it should be apparent since i also mentioned NDS<<PSP. where the NDS has sold more, has more titles but is technically less capable than the PSP.

Also, it's called reality, you dont need to share a brain to experience it.

Cheers

PS>> SWB, dude, sint there a Blu Ray/HDVD thread or a PS3 thread for that information ? Also, looks like Sony is doing for BR, what M$ did for IE. just thought id mention it, eventhough i do support BR over HDDVD now.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 01:01 PM

Alright brace yourself. i suggest you sit down and have a box of tissues readily available just in case.

Nintendo Gamecube Specifications:
-CPU Clock Frequency 485 MHz
-System Memory 40MB
-Graphics processor Clock Frequency 162 MHz
-Floating-point Arithmetic Capability 10.5 GFLOPS (Peak)
-Real-world polygon 6 to 12 million polygons/second (Peak) (Assuming actual game conditions with complex models, fully textured, fully lit, etc)
-Main Memory 24MB MoSys IT-SRAM Less than 10ns Sustainable Latency
-Performance 64 simultaneous channels
(http://www.gamesworlduk.co.uk/gamecu...cification.htm)

Sony Playstation2 Specifications:
-System Clock Frequency: 294.912MHz
-Main Memory: 32MB
-Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
-3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 Million Polygons per second (NOT in game)
-Graphics synthesizer System Clock Frequency: 147MHZ
-On chip Memory: 4MB DRAM
-Number of Voices: 48 channels
(http://www.gamesworlduk.co.uk/playst...cification.htm)

(Also worth mentioning is that the Gamecube has 8 texture units as opposed to 4 on the PS2 and Xbox. matters a lot more than polygon counts imo....better "effects" and all)

So yeah thats where i get "PS2<<GCN". Welcome to *cough*reality*cough*.

As for harddrive , online, USB... if i wanted a PC/mac id buy one, Also if i wanted a toaster, microwave, dishwasher, camera..id buy one. In this case, i want a gaming console.

Oh and for sake of this argument where we are comparing the technical specifications of hardware (since its obvious you have no debating skills whatsoever)...price, number of titles and "add-on" features dont count. just thought id mention it, hope thats not too difficult to comprehend.

Also, it's called google (http://www.google.com) check it out.

Cheers
So?

It's irrelevant since the duds at Nintendo never allowed the video to go higher than 480p, and never allowed digital audio (even for stereo!). Who gives a rat's ass if the GC can do textures at a resolution of eleventy billion, you won't notice it at 480p!

Oh, and I'm sorry you don't like the USB port. I do.

Click 1
Click 2

Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 01:03 PM

The Gamecube is more powerful then the PS2 in most regards. So is the Xbox. No doubt about it.

Sad thing is the PS2 has the best looking 1080i game over any of the systems. GT4

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
The Gamecube is more powerful then the PS2 in most regards. So is the Xbox. No doubt about it.

Sad thing is the PS2 has the best looking 1080i game over any of the systems. GT4
Amen to that.

Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 01:16 PM

I find it strange that even though "Everyone" is sick of traditional games and Nintedo's wand is the only innovative thing coming and people will eat it up. Yet the same people say the Xbox 360 will become the market leader in the next round.

My question is, if everyone is sick of traditional gaming then what does the 360 offer that will make it the market leader?

What does the 360 have over the PS3 as it sounds they will equally clean up?

If people are sick of traditional games (according to Nintendo propaganda) then why are traditional games selling better than ever.

On a side note, the company with the most flops in Hardware and peripherals is..... Nintendo.

"People want different... I give you...the Powerglove, ROB, VirtualBoy".

"People don't want CD-ROM games... I present the N64" (the system that lost the most 3rd parties. Because it wasn't CD-ROM)

"People don't want DVD players in their game systems. (Nintendo later admitted this is why the cube didn't sell so well)

What's next.... "People don't want HD"....

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 01:27 PM

Amen to that.
Well im glad you came to terms with reality. the GCN is technically superior to the PS2.

And having a PS2 game like GT4 (even on regular TVs) just shows that technical superiority dosent matter a whole lot when it comes to graphical fidelity or gaming in general. And imo, it will matter even less this coming generation (my own speculation).

When you factor in the effect of technical specs on price... you start to see how succesful(number of units sold) the hardware will be.

Important thing is balance imo. Thats why i kinda think the XB360 will do really well. As a product(gaming console) i think it will do really well (price, release date, support).

The PS3 however seems to be overkill in terms of specs....and the effect that will have on price and therefore it's performance in the marketplace is somewhat clearer imo.

SWB>> risktakers my friend. Apple had the Newton, printers, etc.... M$ and $ony stick to the formula, Nintendo tries all sorts of crazy things, which is why i prefer em actually (always surprising) not always ready for the market or succesful, but definately pushing the envelop in creativity and stimulating immiganations as opposed to just specifications. Also the XB360 has something the PS3 dosent...balance as a product (Specs, price, release, support).

NRS also has a good balance, but the uniqueness of the whole thing is what will get it intothe hands of customers uniqueness such as the first party games, free online and of course the controller(expandable). Ninty seem to have differentiated themselves enough to appeal to pretty much anyone and not compete on the same terms as $ony and M$. (strangely similaar to comparing the Mac to PCs w/ windows). But yeah....to the general public...the lower price and first party games will see the NRS excell. to the hardcore gamers, it'll be first party games and having the uniqueness of the NRS as a 'second console' for the alternative gaming experience. Thats also a good recipe for success imo.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 4, 2005 at 01:36 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 01:47 PM

I find it strange that even though "Everyone" is sick of traditional games and Nintedo's wand is the only innovative thing coming and people will eat it up. Yet the same people say the Xbox 360 will become the market leader in the next round.

My question is, if everyone is sick of traditional gaming then what does the 360 offer that will make it the market leader?
XB360 currently has all the games, plus some nice new features.

Nintendo has the hardware. I doubt Nintendo in one round can come up with the games needed to take 1st from Microsoft. However the hardware is innovative.

So games come first, followed by innovative hardware, meantime Sony has neither.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 02:19 PM

Well im glad you came to terms with reality. the GCN is technically superior to the PS2.
Only SLIGHTLY, and unfortunately, the idiots at Nintendo never showed off the unit by allowing it to do anything higher than 480p, or digital audio. That's sad, and hur the unit.

Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 02:34 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention the other flops of The GBA link and the GameCube.

Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 02:35 PM

Can't remember him saying otherwise. Either way it doesn't matter as it came out way sooner, has more developer support AND looks the best.

Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 02:46 PM

So what does the PS3 have going for it? So far hardly anyone has shown any interest.
Seems today the news want to make you look your guess look dumb:

"Gamers can barely predict what will happen within the industry between today and tomorrow, let alone sound respectable and forecasting two years from. That's the job of analysts at Piper Jaffray, though, and their latest release includes such whoppers as: PlayStation 3 leading in hardware sales and a new PSP model next year.

Piper Jaffray says by 2008, PlayStation 3 will have grabbed 45-50% of the hardware market, with Xbox 360 barely trailing at 35-40% and Nintendo dropping to a minority share of 15%. In fact, they predict Revolution adoption to move at an almost snail's pace, with only half a million units next year, two in 2007 and three in 2008.

The race between Sony and Microsoft, however, will far more competitive, but Piper Jaffray eventually predicts PlayStation 3 will pull ahead of the pack. In the end, though, the competition between the three systems will produce an impressive 30 percent total increase in consumer purchases for videogame systems.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 03:31 PM

Seems today the news want to make you look your guess look dumb:

"Gamers can barely predict what will happen within the industry between today and tomorrow, let alone sound respectable and forecasting two years from. That's the job of analysts at Piper Jaffray, though, and their latest release includes such whoppers as: PlayStation 3 leading in hardware sales and a new PSP model next year.

Piper Jaffray says by 2008, PlayStation 3 will have grabbed 45-50% of the hardware market, with Xbox 360 barely trailing at 35-40% and Nintendo dropping to a minority share of 15%. In fact, they predict Revolution adoption to move at an almost snail's pace, with only half a million units next year, two in 2007 and three in 2008.

The race between Sony and Microsoft, however, will far more competitive, but Piper Jaffray eventually predicts PlayStation 3 will pull ahead of the pack. In the end, though, the competition between the three systems will produce an impressive 30 percent total increase in consumer purchases for videogame systems.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532
Oh, that group is wonderfully accurate. They also said the Mac Mini rumors were untrue and Apple would never ship a machine at that price. And just because they said so it must be true. I mean, look at all that justification they give!

I mean... they... said so... so it must be true!

What you're saying doesn't change anything. The PS3 has no buzz. No innovation. No games. Nada. Your press release doesn't change that.

When someone goes to the store, and they ask about the PS3, the salesman will tell them it has a Blueray drive. When they ask about the XBox 360, the salesmen will tell them it plays Halo, has integrated online play, and also plays Gears of War and Resident Evil 4.

Which one do you think the consumer will buy?

Edit: If you'd like an idea of consumer reaction look at the comments on the original article.

Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 06:07 PM

Nintendo also get the cake for the worst button placement in history. The Z button "afterthought" on the GameCube controller.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 06:13 PM

Nintendo also get the cake for the worst button placement in history. The Z button "afterthought" on the GameCube controller.
Ok James. Whatever.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 06:44 PM

Umm. opinion, right ? btw, i dont see anything wrong with the Z button....works fine for me. have a look at the button placements on the PS3 and XB360... they look uncannily similar to the GCN layout. so i guess they too have the worst button layout as well now.

As far as the PS2's looks. to each his/her own...but i think it sucks. the new mini-PS2 looks fine though since you can tuck it away nicely. The original PS2 looks like a block of iron imo.

Also... SWB.... guess what, risk takes arent always 100% succesful, chances are 50-50 imo. the fact that they do take big risks is what i do admire. hence im an Apple fan (iPod huge risk. MacOSX huge risk, no floppy huge risk, no upgradibility for iMacs huge risks, the original Mac huge risk etc,etc). But yeah no company that actually innovates(new stuff) is going to be 100% succesful, but they do learn and It shakes up the industry and gets people thinking....instead of just sticking to the predefined formula by offering upgrades.

The things Nintendo have addressed thus far on the NRS seem to "solve" the shortcomings of the cube (backwards compatibility, free online, design), added the beefier specs and some truely unique 'innovations'.... controller being the major one so far. I think theve got a good recipe for success.

The XB360 i think is going to do very well cause, it's made comprimises(specs, price) to have the market advantage(earlier, cheaper) Thats what Sony did with the PS2, remember ? earlier release not as good specs, cheaper than the XBox. I reckon it'll pay off. And not to forget M$ has a proven online offering. Nintendo is going to unveil it's wi-fi stuff this month for both DS and NRS, and well....i havent heard much from Sony. Sony, imo has dug itself into a ditch....overkill as far as specs, dev costs will be extremely high, the hardware and software prices will be really high.....i dont think consumers will bite. but i could be wrong...i dont have a crystal ball. but thats just my analysis of the information we have so far.

As far as games...developers will gravitate to the consoles that have the bigger market share and where dev costs arent rediculiously high. Thus far it appears the XB360 and NRS seem to be addressing both those aspects...cheaper price...will sell more units, and lower dev costs than the PS3. So chancces are good for M$ and Nintendo.

Cheers

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 10:01 PM

Lets not forget software development costs, the XB was the most expensive followed by the PS2 and then by the GCN. Also piracy was rampant of the XB and PS2....a lot to do with their 'hackability'. I dont think Devs will be willing to invest even more into projects only to have geeks pirate the software....just dosent seem logical.
It may not seem logical, but it's seems to be The Way. Ease of piracy either has nothing to do with a system's success, or it actually helps it to a degree. I know many PSX/XBox owners that originally purchased the devices to pirate everything udner the sun, but they still own several legitimate games as well. It's not just geek hacker subculture-types, most of the pirates I know on those two platforms were far from technocratic geniuses, so it's not simply a niche group (as per your PSP thoughts).

If anything, the N64 and GCN proved that in and of itself, difficult-to-crack copy protection does NOT court 3rd-party developers.

Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2005, 02:29 AM

Please tell me why people will care about the Bluray drive.

Any Bluray burners out? Nope.

This is a riot: So what research and non-fanboy blindness does for ya

"Sony's Blu-ray recorder models are already on sale in Japan, and the Sony PlayStation 3 video-game console, which supports Blu-ray, is set to go on sale in spring next year."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051004/japan...dvds.html?.v=2

Blu-Ray burners have been in Japan for quite a while.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2005, 03:44 AM

This is a riot: So what research and non-fanboy blindness does for ya

"Sony's Blu-ray recorder models are already on sale in Japan, and the Sony PlayStation 3 video-game console, which supports Blu-ray, is set to go on sale in spring next year."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051004/japan...dvds.html?.v=2

Blu-Ray burners have been in Japan for quite a while.
So if I go down to CompUSA or Frys I can buy a burner? And encode movies onto Bluray too?

I didn't think so.

You mean out as in "you can get it if you have the right contacts" and "you can't really do anything useful with it". I see how it is.

Oh, you forgot to finish your quote on the article. It end's with "But when Blu-ray players and other models will be available isn't clear so far." There, fixed it for you.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 08:33 AM

So if I go down to CompUSA or Frys I can buy a burner? And encode movies onto Bluray too?

I didn't think so.
You didn't THINK so, or do you mean "I did no research and since my head is up my ass I can't do a simple Google search?"

No, it's not out THIS VERY SECOND, but it will be out ASAP. You KNOW Apple will be all over it with drivers once they become available.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12307

A single-layer disc can fit 25GB, while a dual-layer fits 50GB. At 1x, a 25GB takes 1 hour and 33 minutes to record. The Blu-ray format supports multi-layers, which could eventually boost the storage capacity to 200GB.
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6197.cfm

"Apple is pleased to join the Blu-ray Disc Association board as part of our efforts to drive consumer adoption of HD," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs. "Consumers are already creating stunning HD content with Apple's leading video editing applications like iMovie HD and are anxiously awaiting a way to burn their own high def DVDs." Blu-Ray has growing support from tech companies and movie studios. Some of its biggest supporters are Samsung, Dell, Sony, Panasonic, Phillips, Mitsubishi, Disney and Twentieth Century Fox.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 11:16 AM

I didn't think so.

You mean out as in "you can get it if you have the right contacts" and "you can't really do anything useful with it". I see how it is.

Oh, you forgot to finish your quote on the article. It end's with "But when Blu-ray players and other models will be available isn't clear so far." There, fixed it for you.
Muahahahahahahahahaahhaaaha

HD-DVD content announced this morning for Q4 '05 and Q1 '06

We told you it was coming. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are DEFINITELY going to be out by the end of the year, so this "there's no HD content" bullsh*t argument stops NOW.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...02#post2720302

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2005, 11:39 AM

No offence, but could you guys take this discussion over to the BR vs HDDVD thread ?

Cheers

Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2005, 11:39 AM

Yet another failed Nintendo peripheral.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 11:41 AM

No offence, but could you guys take this discussion over to the BR vs HDDVD thread ?

Cheers
I'm sorry, who brought up the fact that "nobody" had HDTVs?

No, this will NOT be moved.

Mike

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2005, 11:48 AM

Muahahahahahahahahaahhaaaha

HD-DVD content announced this morning for Q4 '05 and Q1 '06

We told you it was coming. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are DEFINITELY going to be out by the end of the year, so this "there's no HD content" bullsh*t argument stops NOW.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...02#post2720302
So give me the list of movies coming out on Bluray.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2005, 11:49 AM

Mike
SWG said it himself.

10 million people have HDTVs.

That's no one(tm).

Cunny Linguist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2005, 12:58 PM

HD-DVD and BluRay out this fall.
HD-DVD and BluRay cracked a day after this fall.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2005, 01:16 PM

Mike
Fine suit yourself jackass.

Talking about HD with respect to console gaming isnt the same as comparing the competing HD formats.i dont see what relevence that has to the Nintendo Revolution since it wont be having HD anyway. so if you want to beat a dead horse go ahead........guess there arent enough video games to keep geeks like you occupied. lol

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 01:34 PM

Fine suit yourself jackass.

........guess there arent enough video games to keep geeks like you occupied. lol
Not on the Nintendo camp, no

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2005, 01:36 PM

Yet another failed Nintendo peripheral.

Bravo !!! your doing an excellent job of researching Nintendo's failures. Now if only you can come up with half as many innovations from Sony or Microsoft that were succesful and were pioneered on their gaming consoles respectively to what Nintendo has brought and made standard.

Im sure since your such a big Nintendo fan, and having owned all their consoles with the exception of the virtual boy and DS, you'd know them by now...
such as...
-two handed controllers
-d-pad
-shoulder buttons(triggers)
-analog stick
-rumble
-wireless controllers
-touch screens
-motion detection
-third person camera control

But those are all i could come up with, seeing as how ive only owned 2 nintendo consoles ever(NES ad GCN), so im sure my knowledge of their contributions to gaming cant be compared to all that you must know.

So go on, how about listing those for us ?

Oh and by the way....the reason why $ony and M$ dont have so many 'failuers' is cause they dont have the balls to take the risk to innovate. they wait for nintendo to bear the risks and development costs and if theyre succesful...M$ and $ony commodify and market their immitations. Thats a great business strategy...heck Microsoft bases it's entire business on that philosophy. Glad to see people like yourself giving them credit for doing all the hard work though. Ill bet its nice to encourage theives and copy cats as opposed to artists and innovators... cause i wouldnt know.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2005, 01:42 PM

Not on the Nintendo camp, no
Haha funny lol...which is ironic since your such a PS2 and XBox fanboy you still seem to find a heck of a lot of time to spend in a Nintendo thread. Fell kinda silly now dont ya ? lol

Maybe its cause the PSP, PS3 and XB360 threads dies out a long time ago, and you need somewhere to talk, where you feel your opinion matters ?

Maybe the lack of PSP games is bringing you here ? lol...seeing as how there were so many announced games before it's launch there must be a ton of good stuff there, or are you bored of racing games already ? and considering it's such a hit, why arent you playing it ?

ha-ha-ha.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 02:24 PM

Haha funny lol...which is ironic since your such a PS2 and XBox fanboy you still seem to find a heck of a lot of time to spend in a Nintendo thread. Fell kinda silly now dont ya ? lol

Maybe its cause the PSP, PS3 and XB360 threads dies out a long time ago, and you need somewhere to talk, where you feel your opinion matters ?

Maybe the lack of PSP games is bringing you here ? lol...seeing as how there were so many announced games before it's launch there must be a ton of good stuff there, or are you bored of racing games already ? and considering it's such a hit, why arent you playing it ?

ha-ha-ha.

No I don't "fell" silly. I come in here to see how you fanboys turn everything around to make it look like Nintendo is the king of the universe. Makes me laugh.

Lack of PSP games? Hmmm....no. It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm at work and I write between large builds of my project. Sorry, we can't bring videogames to work.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2005, 03:54 PM

[img]No I don't "fell" silly. I come in here to see how you fanboys turn everything around to make it look like Nintendo is the king of the universe. Makes me laugh.
..Which is exactly why I said the XBox 360 will come out on top next round.

Oh wait. Damn. Guess I killed my Nintendo fanboy status.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2005, 08:31 PM

..Which is exactly why I said the XBox 360 will come out on top next round.

Oh wait. Damn. Guess I killed my Nintendo fanboy status.
Hehe no kidding. i said the XB360 would win as well. They must be heart broken that now that they dont have anything to bitch and moan about. Such drama queens. lol

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2005, 10:50 AM

Somthing i found (and changed a little)

i want one.

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 09:35 AM

TIME Magazine Praises Revolution Controller

According to their "What's Next" issue (November 2005), TIME magazine lists the Nintendo Revolution controller as one of the five new things "that will blow your mind."

Nintendo’s unique new controller falls at the number two spot, right after the carbon-fiber composite airplane and just prior to the non-fat deep frying compound.

The article goes onto say that "when it comes to video-game controllers, Nintendo has always been an innovator. Back when Atari and its one-button joystick ruled, Nintendo devised a two-button controller with a directional thumb pad."

Revolution Report will bring word of any blown minds as the Revolution nears release.

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/140

Pretty darn good. i wonder where the PSP, Cell and XBoxLive! came in.

Cheers.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 10:45 AM

TIME Magazine Praises Revolution Controller

According to their "What's Next" issue (November 2005), TIME magazine lists the Nintendo Revolution controller as one of the five new things "that will blow your mind." Cheers.
Ya, it beat the chicken sticks that they also think will blow your mind

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8338-3,00.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 11:06 AM

Somthing i found (and changed a little)

http://homepage.mac.com/hawkeye_a/.Pictures/nrsnes.jpg

i want one.

Cheers
oh, that is *too* cool.
nintendo really should bring out a revolution like this.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
oh, that is *too* cool.

Heck i'd get it if it looked like that.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 12:06 PM

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 01:10 PM

I'll only buy it if they release it on Blu-Ray.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
oh, that is *too* cool.
It would be cool for a 25th anniversary edition or something eh ?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Ya, it beat the chicken sticks that they also think will blow your mind

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8338-3,00.html

Hehe yeah, which only goes to show that chicken sticks beat the PSP, PS3 and XB360. Kinda sad for Microsoft and Sony....to get beaten by chickn sticks lol

Forum Links
Forum Rules