Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 4)
starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Yeah... Gee... XBox has games like Halo and Halo 2 from 3rd parties that make it popular. Oh... wait...

The most popular games are always first party. I think the reason the Cube didn't do well is no backwards compatibility. It would have helped at launch.
Like it helped the Xbox?

Oh, wait...

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 7, 2005, 10:37 PM

Backwards compatibility is so cool. I loved those old Commodore 64 games like Green Beret. All modern computers should come with a tape deck.

( Someone obviously hasn't heard of emulators).

Revolution = backwards compatibility! Ironic.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Like it helped the Xbox?

Oh, wait...

Mike
Playstation 1 launched with plenty of first party games. Playstation 2 allowed gamers to continue playing their favorites. Simple as that.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
Backwards compatibility is so cool. I loved those old Commodore 64 games like Green Beret. All modern computers should come with a tape deck.

( Someone obviously hasn't heard of emulators).

Revolution = backwards compatibility! Ironic.
Yeah, cause you know, putting backwards compatibility on the Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and the Playstation 2 all blew up in those respective companies faces.

How would you like it if Panther couldn't run Jaguar programs? It can due to a little something called backwards compatibility. OS X would have tanked if it wasn't for Classic.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2005, 11:00 PM

I think the reason the Cube didn't do well is no backwards compatibility. It would have helped at launch.
Ya people really wanted all 3 N64 games.

The Xbox get into second place beating Nintendo's 20 years experience with no backwards compatibility.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Ya people really wanted all 3 N64 games.

The Xbox get into second place beating Nintendo's 20 years experience with no backwards compatibility.
The XBox did well with Halo. Plain and simple. When launching a console you either launch with a strong lineup, or use backwards compatibility. So far backwards compability has worked for the DS. When people invest a lot of money in current games they want to take them with them to the next console. With XBox this wasn't an issue because there was no previous console.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 11:33 PM

The XBox did well with Halo. Plain and simple. When launching a console you either launch with a strong lineup, or use backwards compatibility. So far backwards compability has worked for the DS. When people invest a lot of money in current games they want to take them with them to the next console. With XBox this wasn't an issue because there was no previous console.
Are you listening to what you're writing?

The Xbox sold on ONE game? No, it sold on:

Halo
Hard drive
Xbox Live
Lot of other games
HDTV and 5.1 audio

Now you say that people bought a brand new handheld JUST to play older games? That's silly. I didn't buy my PS2 to play Final Fantasy VII on it, I bought it ot play the NEW stuff. The older stuff was icing on a very large, tasty cake.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Are you listening to what you're writing?

The Xbox sold on ONE game? No, it sold on:

Halo
Hard drive
Xbox Live
Lot of other games
HDTV and 5.1 audio

Now you say that people bought a brand new handheld JUST to play older games? That's silly. I didn't buy my PS2 to play Final Fantasy VII on it, I bought it ot play the NEW stuff. The older stuff was icing on a very large, tasty cake.

Mike
Halo: Yeah, we agree on that.
Hard drive: When XBox came out, I lived in Seattle. Everyone I knew bought XBox. I knew only one person who stored music on the hard drive. Aside from that, the hard drive doesn't get much hardcore use.
XBox Live: Wasn't around at launch.
Lots of Other Games: That no one played.
HDTV and 5.1 audio: You think the average person had these at launch, much less the average teenager?

Halo sold the XBox, plain and simple. People would network their XBox's and play, and then everyone who played wanted an XBox.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2005, 11:47 PM

Halo: Yeah, we agree on that.
Hard drive: When XBox came out, I lived in Seattle. Everyone I knew bought XBox. I knew only one person who stored music on the hard drive. Aside from that, the hard drive doesn't get much hardcore use.
Music? Who cares about that? It allows you to download new levels and ships (which I have done) it also improves load times.

Plus on soundtracks that suck (Burnout 3) you can hear your own tunes.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 11:48 PM

Music? Who cares about that? It allows you to download new levels and ships (which I have done) it also improves load times.

Plus on soundtracks that suck (Burnout 3) you can hear your own tunes.
Uhhh... I hate to break it to you. But you could do these things on a memory card. And a memory card is faster than a hard drive.

If the hard drive was so successful, why is it being dropped from the next XBox?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2005, 11:57 PM

Uhhh... I hate to break it to you. But you could do these things on a memory card. And a memory card is faster than a hard drive.

If the hard drive was so successful, why is it being dropped from the next XBox?
Dropped? You mean that rumor?

Oh and I hate to break it to you but not only are the memory cards way to small (one level in crimson skies is 5 megs) Nintendo also doesn't SUPPORT ANYTHING. Not encoding MP3's, not playing them, not downloading content to memory cards. Nothing.

So stop looking so stupid.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 8, 2005, 12:00 AM

[BAnd a memory card is faster than a hard drive.
[/B]
Yeah, man. Install OS X on flash media!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 12:02 AM

Yeah, man. Install OS X on flash media!
Hey, if it would fit it would be awesome. I know a few people who've attempted it on a Mac.

Of course, why would you run Mac OS X on a Mac when you'd run it on an XBox? I mean. running OS X on an XBox is really really useful.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 8, 2005, 12:06 AM

Hey, if it would fit it would be awesome.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 08:23 AM

Hey, if it would fit it would be awesome.
No it wouldn't, it would be terrible. Flash is nowhere near as fast as a HD. Ram, yes... but flash, no.

Edit: and I'm not talking about solid state drives, I'm referring to common flash media that's actually used in current game systems.
( Last edited by jasonsRX7; Apr 8, 2005 at 08:30 AM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
No it wouldn't, it would be terrible. Flash is nowhere near as fast as a HD. Ram, yes... but flash, no.

Edit: and I'm not talking about solid state drives, I'm referring to common flash media that's actually used in current game systems.
Wow, you're right. Just did a Google search. I had a friend who bought a 1 gig thumb drive just for running as a fast boot disk. I had always thought magnetic media was slower than flash based.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 04:48 PM

Wow, you're right. Just did a Google search. I had a friend who bought a 1 gig thumb drive just for running as a fast boot disk. I had always thought magnetic media was slower than flash based.
You're living in another dimension, I'm sure of it

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 07:37 PM

You're living in another dimension, I'm sure of it
Yeah, it's called the real world. You should visit sometime from Sony Fanboy Land...

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 07:39 PM

Yeah, it's called the real world. You should visit sometime from Sony Fanboy Land...
For the 100th time I am not a Sony fanboy, don't like their products other than the Playstations and I got ALL the systems plus ever Nintendo one (minus the DS).

You?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 07:43 PM

For the 100th time I am not a Sony fanboy
And my name is OJ Simpson.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 8, 2005, 07:57 PM

"0 out of all MacNN members agree goMac lives in the real world. Get your real world now!"

This infomercial was brought to you from the Real World.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 08:52 PM

And my name is OJ Simpson.
Did you ever find the real killers?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Did you ever find the real killers?
The real killer was Michael Schiavo.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 09:04 PM

The real killer was Michael Schiavo.
What a tricky bastard. And that whole Terri thing was just a diversion...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 11:37 PM

"0 out of all MacNN members agree goMac lives in the real world. Get your real world now!"

This infomercial was brought to you from the Real World.
haha wayit go dude. Compare a PS2 the the NintendoDS..... lol. It's like comparing the graphic capabilities of a desktop machine to a portable lol. And then say thats the best they can do lol.

Geniuses discussing stuff here....whether theyre 13 or 30, theyre all the same lol.

Cheers.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 11:45 PM

Reality eh.

GameCube:
1) Lowest 3rd party support
2) Fewest games
3) Lowest number of console sales
4) kiddy image

No hit google and prove me wrong

Not like you have any games you could rather be playing you "casual gamer" that argues about the PSP and Cube more than he plays games

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 09:53 AM

Back on topic.....

http://brokensaints.com/blog/

Check out what this dude has to say. i dont know if hes credible, but some Nintendo site referenced him.

And apparently the big thing is stereoscopic 3D.... would explain the weird patent Nintendo took out a couple of months ago regarding projection/orthogonal viewing.

But i havent been to an IMAX or a '3D' movie, so like...i'd have to wear the weird reg and green/blue goggles ? That would.....kinda suck having to see everything in shades of two colors.... and if thats the case, the system wont fly ...with me anyway.

Interesting notion though... makes the think about 'realism' in games eh ? If they put out a system capable of something like that without the fuss(goggles).....it'll win my vote. (I love the GC controller, so as long as that stays unchanged, i'll be happy)

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 10:20 AM

It could be cool I just hope the new controller is designed for adult hands.

Nintendo rumors are also over the top though. I remember how before the DS come out everyone was SURE based on ads and whatnot that the DS would act as a wireless gateway for any device nearby creating one giant net. Oh and a GPS locator.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Back on topic.....

http://brokensaints.com/blog/

Check out what this dude has to say. i dont know if hes credible, but some Nintendo site referenced him.
funny cuz even he seems to be in touch with reality:

"�I've yapped with journalists and developers who are pretty confident regarding some of the Revolution�s features. I had been hearing about these bits and bobs for months, but as a diehard Nintendo fan there was nothing to really spark my passion - especially considering the Cube�s lacklustre software showing several YEARS into its life cycle. "

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
It could be cool I just hope the new controller is designed for adult hands.

Nintendo rumors are also over the top though. I remember how before the DS come out everyone was SURE based on ads and whatnot that the DS would act as a wireless gateway for any device nearby creating one giant net. Oh and a GPS locator.

Thats nothing compared to what i read. some sites were claiming that 2 screens were going to be used to project holographs !! lol.

This Sterescopic thing is just taking off as well (google news search) ive never used/read/known anything about this...except for that reg/green goggles, which i detest...just more clutter and not a very elegant solution.

But given the patent Nintendo took out for that projection thing, and this speculation.... followed by reading this article http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...4-21-3-d_x.htm (a couple of minutes ago)

I think theyve got a revolution.... but im still skeptical and cautious. it's still too science ficition in my mind, since i know nothing of this technology. Apparently gyros are a given....but dont HAVE to be used...which is cool...would make a great control for racing....

imagine racing in stereoscopic 3D with a tilt-sensitive controller.

It's astep towards true VR and the stuff from science fiction thats for sure......but sure sounds
cool

either way that USAToday article is rather interesting.

Cheers.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 10:33 AM

Uh oh...

hoaxed:
http://www.cubed3.com/viewnews.php?storyid=3742

back to your lives citizens...nothing to see here.

Althought it IS a cool idea.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 05:43 AM

Hmmm... i decided to vist this site, since it has some cool stuff on it. And turns ou the dude is sticking to his analysis of the Revolution. Apparently his forum was hacked, and some ppl posing as the 'admin' (ie:the guy who wrote the article), made posts, saying that it was a hoax.

So apparently, it isnt a hoax....and quite a possibility.

Discuss.... true 3D imagery real or science fiction ?
how would that apply to console gaming ?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2005, 11:16 AM

Hmmm... i decided to vist this site, since it has some cool stuff on it. And turns ou the dude is sticking to his analysis of the Revolution. Apparently his forum was hacked, and some ppl posing as the 'admin' (ie:the guy who wrote the article), made posts, saying that it was a hoax.

So apparently, it isnt a hoax....and quite a possibility.

Discuss.... true 3D imagery real or science fiction ?
how would that apply to console gaming ?
Unlikely, Nintendo has already said the changes are going to be in the controller, and not the display.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 07:22 AM

Couldnt find a more recent discussion between BR and HD-DVD. So decided to post it here...

Talks have broken down. No compromise is going to be reached (according to both sides).
Source: http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/pr/8851/

The war will begin soon....and we as consumers stand to gain a lot. thank gawd for competition

And in other news: I finally got a US version of RE4 for my GameCube. Its just stunning.....in every way. I thought there would just be high polygon characters and environments...but the attention to detail is staggering....particle effects(fire, dust, smoke), environmental effects(rain, fog) look outstanding, the texture work on everything is just jaw dropping.Visually, it's taken CG to the next level(finally) stretching the legs of this generation consoles. The uniqueness of every area is also amazing....im used to seeing textures reused in environemnts, and although im sure they have done that in this game as well....eery area just looks so different, which makes it all the more realistic.

Audio is pretty damn good as well, with 'situation-specific-music', voice acting and lip syncing is close to the best ive seen yet in any 3D video game. and sound effects or rain, fire, wood creaking...are all just right.

If thats not enough....i thought the camera/control system would be a hinderance.....hehe..it only increases the fear factor while playing the game, creating a truely emotional cinematic experience rather than just button mashing.

As far as production values for visual/audio/gameplay go....this game is at the top in every category. A few minor quirks that i didnt like were....
-the inventory managment system is rather clunky.......im so used to the LOZ:TWW system(since it took me ages to play through), that this one seemed rather complex. must be the learning curve.
-the fact that its on 2 discs. but seeing as it's only beenthe resident evil games on more than 1 gamecube disc, im notsurprised. at the same time, im not THAT lazy that i wont be able to switch discs once during gameplay. having said that...making dual layer GC discs would have definately been a lot cooler.

Cheers.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 05:28 PM

*description of Res Evil 4*
Glad you enjoyed it and great description of the quality of the graphics. RE4 made it to the top of my list of fav games ever after I first started playing it back in March.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
Glad you enjoyed it and great description of the quality of the graphics. RE4 made it to the top of my list of fav games ever after I first started playing it back in March.
It's creaping it's way to the top of my list as well...but i havent had a lot of time to play it this week. Also, like im not praising this game cause it's exclusive on the GC(for now anyway). Honestly if it were upto me, id release this game on all 3 consoles and PCs as well....just so people get a taste of what games of this genre aught to be like.

Technology has become secondary, with artistic style and development finally harnessing all those specs under the hood to the fullest.

If you own a Cube, buy this game. If you own a PS2, the wait is worth it. (and from what i hear the game has made a descent transition to the PS2)

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 04:59 AM

For what its worth....

http://www.gyration.com/intl/uk/pr-nintendo_uk.htm

(content: nintendo, gyration, gyroscopes, wifi input)

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 05:28 PM

From Joystiq

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000040048116/

If this is the patent for the Revolution’s controller, then I’m baffled as to why Nintendo feared that a rival would mimic it if it was revealed at E3. After all, it doesn’t feature anything that we haven’t been speculating about for months now. And to top it all off, the patent’s wording is just vague enough to make me wonder if they weren’t referring to the next iteration of the Game Boy (the buttons certainly match up, after all). But, if you believe gamesradar, then here’s the gist of the Revolution’s revolutionary control interface: gyroscopic motion-sensors, a touch screen, a d-pad, two face buttons, two shoulder buttons, and the ever-ubiquitous start and select buttons. Simply speaking, think of it as a GBA with a touch screen and a built-in copy of Kirby’s Tilt ‘n Tumble.

As usual, the gyroscopes are the most intriguing feature of the unit. gamesradar hints that the gyroscopic technology will be used for analog control in the absence of an analog joystick, though mewonders if the controller would feature weights to aid in recentering the unit. Once again, this could be a very cool control scheme if well-implemented into the game.

However, the touch screen is what worries me. As many, many people have already pointed out, current touch screens lack any kind of force feedback, and cannot be touched at more than one point without becoming confused. And, judging by my own experience with Metroid Prime Hunters, reaching your thumb across half the controller to use the touch screen is more than a little uncomfortable. Of course, clever design on Nintendo’s part could potentially lessen my worries. And, as usual, no prototypes of the controller have been leaked to the public yet. But don’t fret; at the current rate of Revolution leakage, we’ll be seeing something about it within the next week.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
From Joystiq

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000040048116/

If this is the patent for the Revolution’s controller, then I’m baffled as to why Nintendo feared that a rival would mimic it if it was revealed at E3. After all, it doesn’t feature anything that we haven’t been speculating about for months now. And to top it all off, the patent’s wording is just vague enough to make me wonder if they weren’t referring to the next iteration of the Game Boy (the buttons certainly match up, after all). But, if you believe gamesradar, then here’s the gist of the Revolution’s revolutionary control interface: gyroscopic motion-sensors, a touch screen, a d-pad, two face buttons, two shoulder buttons, and the ever-ubiquitous start and select buttons. Simply speaking, think of it as a GBA with a touch screen and a built-in copy of Kirby’s Tilt ‘n Tumble.

As usual, the gyroscopes are the most intriguing feature of the unit. gamesradar hints that the gyroscopic technology will be used for analog control in the absence of an analog joystick, though mewonders if the controller would feature weights to aid in recentering the unit. Once again, this could be a very cool control scheme if well-implemented into the game.

However, the touch screen is what worries me. As many, many people have already pointed out, current touch screens lack any kind of force feedback, and cannot be touched at more than one point without becoming confused. And, judging by my own experience with Metroid Prime Hunters, reaching your thumb across half the controller to use the touch screen is more than a little uncomfortable. Of course, clever design on Nintendo’s part could potentially lessen my worries. And, as usual, no prototypes of the controller have been leaked to the public yet. But don’t fret; at the current rate of Revolution leakage, we’ll be seeing something about it within the next week.
That would sound like a Game Boy to me. Too few buttons to be a console controller.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 04:05 AM

i reckon, the controller will be similar to the GameCube controller, with the addition of gyroscopes, and wireless.

People are expecting some space-age technology in a console controller...i dont expect it to have a touch screens, or some squeezable pressure sensitive pad. Lets be reasonable..... the console will probably come with one controller. if it's going to cost $100 for the controller itself...it'll just be rediculious.

Gyros though seem like the most likely to me...price, implementation and use seem fairly straight forward. That coupled with wireless seem in the 'reasonable' realm of what to expect.

I have a suspicion that we might see a visor, and those COULD use LCDs/OLEDs, but it will be an ascessory and not come standard (if MP3 supports a visor...ill be getting one.). personally i beleive VR is the logical next step in gaming. (eye toy is an example of an implementation, which is EXTREMELY cool).

But yeah...gyros and wireless... i dont expect anything more from the controllers.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 12:13 PM

I guess this recent patent has something to do with Revolution.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 12:26 PM

People are expecting some space-age technology in a console controller...i dont expect it to have a touch screens, or some squeezable pressure sensitive pad. Lets be reasonable..... the console will probably come with one controller. if it's going to cost $100 for the controller itself...it'll just be rediculious.
The reason people are expecting something like that is because the name of the system is "Revolution" and the hardware they have shown so far stinks. People are putting all faith in the controller.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 12:39 PM

Peter Molyneux has seen the controller and said in an interview... "Never underestimate Nintendo..."

Who knows. He could be blowing smoke or he could have seen something cool. I'm not too optimistic overall.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Peter Molyneux has seen the controller and said in an interview... "Never underestimate Nintendo..."

Who knows. He could be blowing smoke or he could have seen something cool. I'm not too optimistic overall.
Ive seen ppl mention it on many websites. why is this dude anyway ?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2005, 11:30 AM

Probably it will have the same button technology as the Mighty Mouse.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 12:33 PM

why is this dude anyway ?
Usually it's due to XY chromosomes.... ;-)

Peter used to make cool games, like Populous and Theme Park. His recent games haven't been so good. He likes to experiment, but usually ends up building expectations so high (Fable/Black&White) that the end product is a disappointment.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Probably it will have the same button technology as the Mighty Mouse.
That would be the worst idea ever.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 12:25 AM

Ive seen ppl mention it on many websites. why is this dude anyway ?
He is the same guy who said "Fable was going to be the Greatest RPG of all time"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 01:39 AM

Hey, let's be fair, it was at least the best RPG of that quarter.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 01:44 AM

Hey, let's be fair, it was at least the best RPG of that quarter.
That isn't saying much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules