Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 8)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 08:21 PM

Now I remember why goMac and Hawkeye are on my ignore lists

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 08:34 PM

Oh so is that why you cant read my posts ? oh god-of-gaming ? must be...

Could someone ask him to post links to his sources.

im getting the impression that hes a Microsoft/Sony fanboy, and whats worse hes got it in for Nintendo..... Mario mustive molested him when he was a child or something, i dont know. But at this point, seeing as how he cant back up anything, im assuming he's just blowing steam out of his arse. So basically any information he's provided on Nintendo, the DS or the Revolution is 100% baloney and has been the product of a rather cynical and demented immagination. i wonder if thats the side effect of playing so many crappy video games. lol

PLEASE NOTE: HE HASNT BACKED UP A SINGLE ONE OF HIS CLAIMS(OPINIONS).

Sorry for the repetition people, but someone had to forse this skunk out of the living room, he was pissing all over the place and i couldnt stand the stench anymore.

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2005, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Now I remember why goMac and Hawkeye are on my ignore lists
Why? You're not on my ignore list... I mean... You are in the Nintendo Revolution thread. I would expect to find some people who like Nintendo in here...

8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 08:48 PM

*nevermind, ill figure it out.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2005, 09:34 PM

The Nintendo revolution may be the worst games console ever released (in comparative terms) but on the bright side it comes with a free remote so you will be able to watch DVDs on it out of box.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 12:03 AM

Actually, you won't be able to watch DVDs out of the box. Sarcasm: failed.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2005, 12:09 AM

I can't wait for the Zelda game (2008?)

sigh...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
Dont you just love it when some people know absolutely nothing about what theyre talking about, and yet they got sooooo much to say. lol you'd think with so little up i ntheir heads they' d spend more time reading than spewing all over the place.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 20, 2005 at 04:14 AM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 04:09 AM

Here you can see how inventiveness sony is… Wario Ware anyone ???

http://www.playstation.jp/ch/pv/asx/...v_p_bh2000.asx

not to mention to the look of these guys…

So in the copy cat game I stand with the guys with original concepts, thanks.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 04:46 AM

Hmmm... looks like the Gamesport editors have sounded off with their gut reaction on the NRS controller. Fancy that, not a single nay sayer.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2005, 04:51 AM

blah, Nindendo didn't show anything at the Tokyo Game Show this year. Blah! I played the xbox 360 and its actually good. Sigh...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 06:18 AM

Some developer reactions:

Michel Ancel
Game Designer, Ubisoft
Creator of Rayman, BG&E and King Kong

......It’s simple, when Nintendo unveils its hardware, every member of the team starts imagining crazy ideas. It’s opening their minds. The fact of adding 3D gestures as the way of communicating with the game is just the perfect kind of innovation that can bring new games to new gamers. To me, it can bring the consoles what the mouse brought to the PC at it time. ........ I’m just mad about it!

Lorne Lanning
President/Creative Director, Oddworld Inhabitants

An interesting innovation for the “small handed” segment of the market.

Cliff Bleszinski
Lead Designer, Epic Games

It seems as if I Nintendo has found a modular way that they can take the best of the location-based entertainment/arcade experience and bring it home to the user....... I haven’t been able to hold or use it yet so I’ll refrain from any further judgment until I get hands on as that’s what really, truly matters – feel!

Demian Linn
Reviews Editor, Electronic Gaming Monthly

It's a risk, but it's a smart risk. ............... But now, Revolution may appeal to more casual or even non-gamers, along with core gamers who are looking for a genuinely new gameplay experience.

Nintendo has always excelled at making its games just feel right from a control perspective, and I’m sure its first-party games are going to do some amazing things with the new controller.

Chris Cross
Game Design Director, EA LA

Personally I’m excited about the new controller. It seems like it will be intuitive for most and a very cool alternative to the “standard” control paradigm. If we assume game design starts with the interface, try to imagine what new genres might pop up. I can’t wait to get one in my hands and try it out.

Chris Melissinos
Chief Gaming Officer, Sun Microsystems

This is why I love Nintendo. Just when people think that innovation is dead and game design/implementation is becoming a barren wasteland, the House of Mario does something so off the wall that people stand up and take notice. What other game hardware company would have the guts to release a controller that looks like a TV remote? No one but Nintendo.

Not only do I believe that the controller will help usher in a new generation of game design, I think the Revolution has a better chance of succeeding than most analysts and critics believe.

Since these gaming threads are full of phoneys who know nothing about the gaming industry but want to act like they do, ill post my source for this information.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 20, 2005 at 06:29 AM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
Then there is nothing good, at all, about it.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
lol..your right mate. your absolutely right.

And when ur PS3 comes out...ur controller can double up to catch kanagaroos. lol
hahahaha
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 20, 2005 at 07:05 AM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2005, 07:19 AM

Hooray for fighting on the internet about things that aren't available yet!

1. The Revolution will play DVD's with somekind of attachment (they haven't said what it is yet). So no it wont play them out of the box, but it will be able to play them.

2. The boomerang PS3 controller isn't the final design.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 10:31 AM

OK.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 11:21 AM

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Here you can see how inventiveness sony is… Wario Ware anyone ???

http://www.playstation.jp/ch/pv/asx/...v_p_bh2000.asx

not to mention to the look of these guys…

So in the copy cat game I stand with the guys with original concepts, thanks.
that is shameless.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 03:23 PM

"* Only after a year or so will 2nd generation ‘polished’ games start to emerge. The cream of the core game mechanics tested in the first generation will be layered with all the traditional trappings of a modern video game."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 04:38 PM

When Great Ideas Aren't Great Enough:
http://www.thegate.ca/editorials/mor...=1014_0_12_0_M

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2005, 04:46 PM

When Great Ideas Aren't Great Enough:
http://www.thegate.ca/editorials/mor...=1014_0_12_0_M
In other words: "Grit, Guns, and Girls are the way to go. Forget that 'gameplay' crap: games with staying power are so 1980s."
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
In other words: "Grit, Guns, and Girls are the way to go. Forget that 'gameplay' crap: games with staying power are so 1980s."
I think what he was saying is that it can only go so far and once the novelty wears off they might not get 5 years out of the system. I don't recall him saying what you quoted.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 05:21 PM

I think what he was saying is that it can only go so far and once the novelty wears off they might not get 5 years out of the system. I don't recall him saying what you quoted.
Uhhhhhhhmmmmmm... All video games are novelties.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2005, 05:27 PM

That's exactly what he said. He said that the system's too different and it doesn't have the same horsepower as the other systems, so it will fail. It's too different.

BS, I say. The GameCube didn't flourish because it wasn't different enough; just enough to start encouraging real gameplay-oriented design (FF:CC and so forth) but not different enough to let developers push the limits. The DS is proving the power of gameplay innovation with its success. Gameplay has been stuck in the same old paradigms since the NES: paradigms which Nintendo helped create, but few people ever innovated from ever again. Now they're looking to correct that mistake, and I say more power to them. Bring back games deeper than the discs they come on.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 05:37 PM

BS, I say. The GameCube didn't flourish because it wasn't different enough
You're partly right. Why did the Xbox beat Nintendo and share the market with the PS2. nothing really different about it. The answer, image and 3rd party support.

Even with the DS the "good" games are inhouse, not 3rd party.

Having the revolution THIS different and underpowered means ports of poplular games are out of the question. Even with the Cube 3rd parties didn't do many ports as the sales didn't make it worth it.

The revolution looks like it will have 2 good games a year like the N64 and Cube did.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 05:37 PM

Yeah Millenium, apparently Grit, Guns and Girls have serious staying power in games.....i guess if your focusing an entire console on a specific niche they definately do.

Also, i wonder who the writer of that article is..... he's gotta be an industry bigwig(editor, game deisnger, financial analyst). very credible indeed if he is.

But personally, ill stick with the likes of the opinions of people ive posted above, seeing as how they have SOME credibility as well, and not just bloggers with unsubstianted and misinformed opinions. But hey thats just me.

The "writer":

A couple of quotes to tap into his immence credibility and genius:

-"Just like the touch-screen on the DS, Nintendo's "wand of glory" is a neat little idea that won't make a big enough splash to last"

-"Nintendogs is just a sparkling gem in a line of crap-covered stones" (funny i thought Mario64, Warioware, Electroplankton, etc...were all gems )

-"Remember the Metroid Prime: Hunters demo that came with the DS? How fun was tapping on the screen constantly?" (hummmm....he must have access to a different interweb...most of teh stuff i read were all extremely positive)

-"With heavy-hitters like Halo 3, Nintendo will have trouble keeping the pressure on. Let's face it, would you rather sit down and **** your buddies up in a good game of Halo, or swing around some magic stick to try and find them, then only have one accessible button to shoot with?" (ahhh the limits of one's immagintaion become aparent rather quickly)

-"Those monkeys at Nintendo can conceive of some way to utilize motion-sensing, but it'll always be buried within the game, tertiary to standard controls." (ohhhh name calling, i wonder if "fanboy" as opposed to critical thinker/analyst is a more appropriate term)

-"At least they have the GBA as backup for the handheld market. If the Revolution flops, Nintendo is completely and 110% Dreamcasted." (Woah he must have one strong portfolio...qhatwith quoting percentages and all...he definately on top of the industry. Also, i guess he think the NDS is a flop....i wonder what that makes the PSP).

-"But realistically, while the Xbox 360 and PS3 push the boundaries of hi-definition, superb graphics, and a tangible online strategy, Nintendo will be thinking up new ways to play with their magic wand. You can only innovate so much when given a limited set of tools to work with." (Fancy that he's a graphics whore as well....and "limited set of tools" woah...i guess M$ and $ony have a lot more tools to offer. SHS, u sure u didnt write this article ? As far as online...i guess he must have missed all the kynotes and press releases from Nintendo....either that or he cant read....since he's probably an industry bigbig, im going to assume he's heard all about Ninty's wi-fi , so therefore he cant read)

And my personal favorite:
-"But what would you rather pay $600 for: some strange new controller that may barely work, or a graphical behemoth that offers an experience all can enjoy."
($600 hmm...seems like SONY is shooting for that price point, Nintendo haas iterated time and again they are going to have a lower price point. And yes.....i do beleive consumers would appreciate a new(better) control style instead of graphical behemoths (NDS vs PSP for example)...and lol "All can enjoy" as long as they are 18-35 year old male technophiles)

Yes very credible and objective indeed.

EDIT>>to those of you reading this thread, this is the best source SWB could come up with so far to back up his opinions.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 20, 2005 at 06:22 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
The "writer":
The guy looks like he's 16 years old and writing from his mom's basement.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2005, 06:00 PM

You're partly right. Why did the Xbox beat Nintendo and share the market with the PS2. nothing really different about it. The answer, image and 3rd party support.
Nope. It was all image. Everywhere other than the US, the GameCube didn't just beat the XBox; it outright humiliated the XBox. It didn't beat the PS2, of course, but then, the PS2 has Final Fantasy.

Not one of the times I've been terribly proud to be American, I assure you, if we can be taken in by so much flash with no depth when everyone else sees through it.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
The guy looks like he's 16 years old and writing from his mom's basement.
. for some reason he reminds me of that idiot james whos been posting on these boards. Lord knows they both love graphics and have no idea what the facts are. but thats just speculation on my part

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 06:42 PM

Nope. It was all image. Everywhere other than the US, the GameCube didn't just beat the XBox; it outright humiliated the XBox. It didn't beat the PS2, of course, but then, the PS2 has Final Fantasy.
You think people bu the PS2 for Final Fantasy?

In terms or systems sold overall the xbox beat the Cube. The Xbox sold like crap in Japan but overall still won.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 07:10 PM

Not one of the times I've been terribly proud to be American, I assure you, if we can be taken in by so much flash with no depth when everyone else sees through it.
The Gamecube is virtually non existent here in Australia. Blockbuster has 2-3 shelves of games, as does EBGames. apart fro mthat nothing. Nintendo of Australia has done a terrible job of advertizing the Gamecube here. It's even selling for less than the GBASP, and it hasnt helped much at all. On the other hand Microsoft has done a great job by catering to their chosen demographic rather effectively. And Sony....well they have been here for awhile with the PS2.

As far as Americans and the XBox, and Japan and the PS2/GCN...i reckon it's got something to do with supporting the local companies. at least it appears that way.

By releasing the XB360 earlier in the N.American market, Microsft stands to make significant gains in marketshare, and Sony will be the main looser since theyre going to be late to market. As far as japan, i doubt XB360 will do any better than the XB. And as faras Europe and Australia(and others) the XB360 stands to loose....because i doubt the other demographics will be willing to pay for the 'services' approach to gaming.

What it boils down to is XB360 and PS3 dueling it out for the 18-35 male tenchnophile demographic imo. You will have the geeks picking either one seeing as how they are so similar and with many of the same games. And then considering the NRS cause of it's 'special' feature set and games. So when the NRS does come out...people(im referring toeveryone here) will actually look at it as something different...something interesting, as opposed to yet another gaming console with similar features to the others(which is why the GCN suffered imo).

Ill also say that Nintendo will also set the bar higher for online gameplay this coming generation, what with them totally eliminating the cost barrier in a model that dosent involve users having to submitting their credit card numbers online.

Also worth pointing out is Nintendo marketing and advertizing has finally got it right.Unlike when they launched the GCN, thats along with the new controller are proabbly the most significant advantages the NRS has going for it. All in all it looks like Nintendo is listening to both consumers and developers, and the reaction to the controller, the backwards compatibility and online seems to be overwhelmingly positive from everyone.

In my opinion. All the pieces are in just the right spot for the NRS to see treamondous gains in market share. the only unknowns are:
-price
-launch library(at least 10-20 games total)
-Mario128 at launch (probably the most significant).

If Nintendo delivers in these last three areas they stand to make a heck of a lot on money and sell millions.

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 08:01 PM

I don't think the Gamecube is a failure. I think a lot of people pick it up as a second system. Smash Brothers, Zelda, and Metroid are all compelling 2nd system games.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2005, 09:09 PM

The GameCube didn't flourish because it wasn't different enough;
I agree, and the N64 had the same problem. Square saw it as a problem as well... (not that the last few Square games have been any good).

Also, don't forget the Dreamcast; novelty in and of itself will not bring success. You need to be able to convince early adopters that your system is "cool".

Originally Posted by SWG
Why did the Xbox beat Nintendo and share the market with the PS2. nothing really different about it.
XBox Live, FPS, hackability (MAME/MP3box/Moviestation/etc) and video/audiophile connectors.

The PS2 barely works online, and the Gamecube... uh.... Neither can be readily hacked in any manner.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by ink
XBox Live, FPS, hackability (MAME/MP3box/Moviestation/etc) and video/audiophile connectors.

The PS2 barely works online, and the Gamecube... uh.... Neither can be readily hacked in any manner.
So what makes the PS1 and 2 such a hit? One word: Developers developers developers.

Nintendo has had the least with the N64 and cube. This system will surely be the worst.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 11:00 PM

Expensive or not EB games has ALREADY sold out all Xbox system pre-orders.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2005, 11:30 PM

So what makes the PS1 and 2 such a hit? One word: Developers developers developers.

Nintendo has had the least with the N64 and cube. This system will surely be the worst.
Why do I now picture you at an MS conference jumping up and down really sweaty?

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Sep 20, 2005, 11:59 PM

Gotta ask, what do you hope to accomplish here? Your pessimism about Nintendo's strategy has been well-known (to me at least) for months; in some ways I share it. But are we really going anywhere in the discussion?

Let the market decide. I for one hope that my pessimism is unfounded.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Why do I now picture you at an MS conference jumping up and down really sweaty?
Cuz that is exactly what I was making fun of?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 12:49 AM

Are you kidding? The PSX was head-and-shoulders above the competition for innovation. Final Fantasy 7 would have been severely limited on the N64, instead of the masterpiece that it was on the PSX. The memory card was a new paradigm, as well as the nice controller, which both the XBox and GCN aped. Even the bootup sound was impressive; instead of a "bing", you got the quasi-THX treatment.

I forgot another feature that XBox brought to the console world: the hard disk.

The "cool feature" of the GCN was supposed to be the GBA link. It turned out to be a bad idea, because it cost too much, and the console population doesn't really slum with the hand-held population much. The revolution controller could have the same fate, but they've eliminated one of the GBA-link problems by including it with the console (instead of expecting their customers to fork over $100+ for a controller that can lay bombs in a quasi-useful role with Wind Waker...) Nintendo goofed on that one. But they did try.

Developers don't have system loyalty; they develop for 1) popular and 2) cool platforms. Installed base probably has the most to do with quality 3rd-party games, and installed base depends heavily on early adopters. Early adopters try to ride the wave of new and interesting technology as both a form of entertainment and as a status symbol. If Nintendo is able to tap back into that market (which it had for the 16-bit generation), then they'll succeed again.

Not that N64/GCN were failures... Nintendo still made bank on them.

I guess the question is, WHERE IS SEGA? They were supposed to be throwing off the yokes of hardware in favor of conentrating on their kick-ass software. I don't see it. They're becoming a pathetic publishing house ala Atari. Do we really want Nintendo to do the same? Admit that it all comes down to FPS, Mhz and billion-dollar marketing schemes?

Or have I missed something? Is there anything new with the 360/PS3? The 360 even seems to be a step backward, without the hard disk. And the PS3 is promsing teh sooper kewl graphics... :yawn:

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 01:11 AM

The GBA link must be the biggest flop in video game history. Even more so than the powerglove, that robot and the VirtualBoy.

I don't know why the hell I got one.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 11:50 AM

Speaking of "flops" how much has Microsoft lost on the XBox again ? $2,000,000,000 ? or was it more ? i know star wars boy dosent care....but in the real world (apart from fantasy game world he lives in) it's a flop. lol.

And yes, i think the "hackability" of the XBox is what got it most of its market share. Most of the guys(i dont know a single girl who owns one) who i know who have one are IT and Linux geeks. But then, it was quite predictable they'd get one cause... they never pay for software on windows or linux, and with the HDD in the XB they wouldnth ave to pay for games. Obviously quality never mattered to them to begin with. oh well.

Developers aught to recognize the fact that the XBox (and PS2 to some extent) is a pirates paridice. My clueless fanboy roommate just baught one of those slimmer PS2s....he's got about 8 games....all copies he made on his parent's DVD burner (PC btw). Another friend of mine...Xbox owner....swapped the HDD for a 200GB HDD....rents gaes out from blockbuster.....rips em to the HDD and voila. he told me hes got like the HDD full of games, and hes never baught one.

Incidentally...they are both students in IT, love windows and hate the mac and have never paid for a piece of software i ntheir lives. And im not just making this up.

As far as price, performance, features and quality...lets see....
Nintendo:
-cheaper price point both to consumers and developers
-antipiracy to protect developer's intellectual property(something Microsoft casually disregard....thus gaining marketshare at the developer's and it's own expence...gosh...how much does a product have to suck. to tempt people to this extent to put one in their living rooms lol)
-development costs, cheapest on the GCN. XB and PS dev costs drastically higher.
-so lets see....developers loose on the XB and PS, while make money on the GCN. Nintendo seels an overall lower priced product, which is technically capable of competing despite what star wars geek here would have you beleive.
-And last but not least....innovation. yes....that "i" word...something MS knows absolutely nothing about...and Sony seems to think innovation is having a dual HD capable console that can support 7 wireless controllers.kinda like buying a chainsaw to open a candy bar.
-So yeah...

Nintendo didnt make any mistakes technically with the GameCube.... and so far they havent made ANY mistakes with the revolution. Developer feedback has been a heck of a lotm ore positive than for the other two consoles. As the creator of Beyond Good and Evil" says...it got them thinking of the possibilities. So with the rest of the competition sticks to the norm....like the way the tech industry stuck to Microsoft in 1984, some of us...will move on.

Remember....even the Macintosh started out with a userbase of 1, while everyone else was doing the same old thing. The same is applied to the Revolution. Do i care if geeks and technophiles like you will not support it ? heck i couldnt care less..... it someone thinks and wants to keep using windows despite showing them the macintosh....why sould we care ? the same way....buy whatever the hell you want....but you, SHS have the same mental capasity of that james character, because you keep coming back to this thread. we all know your stance.....just like we know james' stance on Mac vs Windows. move on. i for one dont care about your opinion...but since you take the time and effort to bad mouth Nintendo with no credible information whatsoever...i will disect everything you say about them, cause frankly....none of it's true, and despite your desire to see Nintendo fail or even facilitate it, there are millions of us who appreciate everything they have done for the gaming industry over the past 20 years.

And some of us who know the history of the big 3, wouldnt in right conscience and right mind help Microsoft dominate this industry as well with bad business tactics after what we've learned over the past decade...full of ripoffs, bad immitations and low quality products sold for a loss to kill the competition. lol....

So cheers to you, good riddance, enjoy your XB360 and PS3. Too bad your not open to the idea of the NRS...but oh well...your not the only one who fears change.

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 12:04 PM

If the NDS was an experiment, it came out with flying colors (especially when compared tothe competition: PSP)

The major differences:
NDS:
cheaper, innovative, free wi-fi, great games, low development costs, descent hardware.

PSP:
expensive (2X the cost of a NDS here in OZ by the way), no innovation in gaming, ffewer games due to development times, much higher development costs, very powerful hardware.

So seeing as how the NDS won with that formula.....they seem to be applying the same strategy to the NRS. Going from what developer's have said (notice...im not making all this up to support my preference for Nintendo, unlike star wars boy here), they seem enthuiastic and eager, low development costs and antipiracy will only sweeten the deal for them. Thus far.... the only wildcard in the equation is Mario128, if Nintendo pulls off that piece of software, they stand to rebound in a very very major way.

If i were at Microsoft/Sony....i'd be burning the midnight oil to copy the wand....but im sure they have refilled the toner in those photocopiers and are toiling away to duplicate it. of course....im just using history as a guide to that piece of speculation.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 12:08 PM

Out of curiousity, does anyone have the sales figures (worldwide) for the DS and PSP? I've heard conflicting reports of each one outselling the other.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Developers aught to recognize the fact that the XBox (and PS2 to some extent) is a pirates paridice. My clueless fanboy roommate just baught one of those slimmer PS2s....he's got about 8 games....all copies he made on his parent's DVD burner (PC btw). Another friend of mine...Xbox owner....swapped the HDD for a 200GB HDD....rents gaes out from blockbuster.....rips em to the HDD and voila. he told me hes got like the HDD full of games, and hes never baught one.
That's 8 rents, and 8 games a video store had to buy. I'm not justifying it, but being able to pirate can actually help a platform. The PSX was notoriously easy to pirate on, but it was still the most successful console ever (in terms of games and units). The N64 and the GCN were cobbled by draconian copy protection, which actually hurt their capbilities (ROM Cart vs. CD / "mini" disk that holds 1/4 the data vs. DVD). I think Sony is making a huge mistake with their silly DRM on the PSP.

The PC is the easiest to pirate on of them all, and it still has a thriving game market. Remember that these "clueless fanboy roommates" that you're complaining about are the early adopters, and have a lot of influence on the next wave of consumers. After they've pirated a bunch of games with all their free time, they can tell the next set of adopters just how cool their tech is, and how lame the competition is.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2005, 12:34 PM

Out of curiousity, does anyone have the sales figures (worldwide) for the DS and PSP? I've heard conflicting reports of each one outselling the other.
The last figure I saw said that the DS was outselling all consoles and handheld systems combined in Japan.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 12:34 PM

Nintendo confirmed that classic games will NOT be free a download.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2005, 12:35 PM

...and this is new news?

: sigh : What's the use, I'm just on his ignore list.

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2005, 12:59 PM

Could the trolls go elsewhere? You guys (I'm pointing at you star wars kid) suffer the same thing in all Mac forums from PC trolls, and now you do the same here?

We get it that you don't like Nintendo.

We get it that you don't like the Revolution.

We get it you don't like anything that is not MS or Sony for you games.

Please move on.

You are always welcome to come and explain to us why you don't like this or that. But, I don't care for your trolling.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 01:28 PM

ink: so theyre kinda like those IT people who recommend windows to everyone ?

goMac: so "ignore" means he wont be able to see our posts ?

babble:

everyone: nice way for someone to block out the truth eh ? as easy as hitting the "ignore" button because he cant carry his argument. Yes he is a troll...any gaming thread about Nintendo he has to fill with his crap that Nintendo is going to die. reminds me of PC trolls talking about the mac(james for example). he's such a disillusioned idiot.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 01:32 PM

Sony has also confirmed that PS1 and PS2 games wont be available free for download either.

The XBox360 wont have free XB games for download either. heck i doubt original XB games are even compatible.

But thats not the point.....is it ? Nintendo is the one making a mistake apparently.

Forum Links
Forum Rules