Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > OS X problem or printer driver problem?

OS X problem or printer driver problem?
bjresta
Jan 26, 2002, 10:07 PM

Am using OS X on an iMac with a Lexmark Z52 printer. Problem is that only users with administrator privileges can use the printer. If non-administrators attempt to print a document, they get a "cannot communicate with printer" message--error code -30870.

Have tried stopping/starting queues, deleting jobs, etc. I have tried installing the printer driver from each user's desktop. Nothing works. I really don't want to give my son admin privileges just so he can print a document. Any suggestions?

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: bjresta ]

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: bjresta ]

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2002, 11:34 PM

hey! Sewanee, TN! Univ of the South. Well, I don't know much about printers in os x, but I'll give you some ideas that might help.

In Macintosh HD>>Library>>Printers ... you might try changing the privileges here. I'm pretty sure you'll have to be root to do so. Looking at the privileges, the owner is 'system' and the group is 'admin', so perhaps you may want to change the group setting to something more, well, equitable.

there is also a HD>>System>>Library>>Printers folder. You could try changing the group settings here as well.

I'm just throwing out ideas and things to try. When trekking around as the root user, you may end up doing some nasty things to your computer, and changing privileges may have unsuspected consequences. You're right--this is a little disclaimer. But if I were you, and if this post is your best response, then I'd go for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules