Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > GeForce 6800 Ultra and Radeon X800XT H.264

GeForce 6800 Ultra and Radeon X800XT H.264
doublep
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2005, 08:03 AM

I own a Radeon X800XT AGP in my G5 and, a few days ago, had the chance to try the GeForce 6800 Ultra from a friend.

The performance of the two cards is basically the same. However, I was surprised to see that the GeForce seems to display H.264 High Def movies better.

For example, when viewing the following movie in 1080p:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide...lleryreel.html

The Radeon stutters briefly a couple of times during the movie, but the GeForce keeps displaying at maximum frame rates.

Does anyone know why the GeForce should perform better than the Radeon for 1080p movies?

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2005, 09:14 AM

Other than the fact that it's twice as big and generally regarded to be more powerful (especially in video intense apps such as Motion)?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2005, 12:18 PM

I'm surprised you noticed a difference in video playback... that's usually CPU bound and doesn't involve the GPU. Only the newest generation GPUs (X1 series from ATi) accelerate H.264 playback.

gudrummer
Dec 12, 2005, 12:39 PM

That's strange...never had any problems with sttutering with any of the videos and i have a 9650...
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by MovieCutter
Other than the fact that it's twice as big and generally regarded to be more powerful (especially in video intense apps such as Motion)?
Not sure that the twice-as-big aspect has anything to do with anything. My Apple ][+ is over twice as big as a Mac Mini....

The nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra does hold a small edge over the X800XT in Motion (according to published benchmarks), but the X800XT is less expensive, and still faster than the more common 6800 GT.

Either way, not sure why you'd have some studdering playing HD video with the ATI. I have an X800XT in my main machine, and don't have any trouble at all, even with 1080p blown up to fill the Apple 30" display.

May have something to do with drivers perhaps. Do you have the most recent ATI retail software & drivers installed? But, as mduell said - neither card do any H.264 acceleration, so its all CPU.

doublep  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2005, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have the latest drivers, so I guess the problem is elsewhere in my setup and not video card related.

It'll be interesting to see if 10.4.4 improves video drivers again...

By the way, does the GeForce 6800 Ultra not include a on-board video processor? What is it for?

P
Dec 14, 2005, 03:48 PM

Decode MPEG2 and Windows Media 9 streams, offloading the CPU. Not so sure that the OS X drivers support that though - it took nVidia 8 months from the release to support it on Windows, after all. It also seems that the 6800 Ultra (and GT) shipped with a version of the Video Processor that is less capable than the regular 6800 - at least according to Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2305&p=11

Forum Links
Forum Rules