Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about new Airport Base Station's speed with G Devices

Question about new Airport Base Station's speed with G Devices
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2007, 05:58 AM

I got this quote from the Apple web site:

Based on a comparison with Apple's 802.11g products. Comparison assumes AirPort Extreme network with 802.11n-enabled computer. Speed and range will be less if an 802.11a/b/g product joins the network. Accessing the wireless network requires an AirPort or AirPort Extreme enabled computer or other Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a/b/g-enabled computer. Actual performance will vary based on range, connection rate, site conditions, size of network, and other factors. Range will vary with site conditions.

Now I understand if you put a g device on this network the g device will run with g range and speeds. The way it's worded I almost get the feeling that having a g device on the network will slow the speed of the entire network down including n devices. Is that true?

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2007, 06:42 AM

Yes, the g device will slow down the n devices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules