Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you have LG or Matshita drive on your C2D?

Do you have LG or Matshita drive on your C2D?
boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 02:13 AM

I had to exchange my 3 week old MBP C2D 2.33 due to a hardware failiure (the computer will not start up in after being off for few hours).
Anyway, the "old" C2D had MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857 and the new one has HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080MA ( I guess ut's an LG brand)
Just wondering why Apple will introduce a new MBP model with 2 different DVD manufacturerd drives?
Are they the same as far as performence?
Up until today, I had no idea that LG made DVD drives
If you have a MBP you are familiar with the noise that the DVD drive makes when the computer boots or when you insert CD/DVD to the drive... well, these 2 drives make a very different noise.
It might sound stupid, but I really thought something is wrong with the drive because I was not used to the noise
Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has any comments to make about the two brands...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2006, 04:02 AM

My 2.33 GHz C2D MBP has the Matshita drive as well.

There is an article on Hardmac about how Apple seems to be switching from their long time supplier Panasonic (Matshita) to LG. They claim it's a good thing.

telf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 05:57 AM

its a good thimg you have the new LG rather than UJ-857 as there a loads of problems with the 857.

my 857 didnt mout about 20% of discs so they sent me a new mac with a LG drive and all works fine. it is a little louder

can you tell me the model of your lcd screen? and is it the same quality as your previous version?

telf

boazh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 10:46 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the responses.
Now I begin to think that the hardware failure was related somehow to the DVD drive.
My machine will attempt to boot by making noise from the DVD drive and then nothing would happen, I then force resrtart... Apple didn't want to mess with it so they got me a new one...
Interesting to mention that when I first launched DVD Player it asked me to chose a region code...a first for me.
Yes, it is a little louder when you insert or remove DVDs/CDs but it's making a shorter noise when you boot Oh well, I'm happy that this drive is consider better and I hope I will have no issues with it. So far the C2D is running extreemly well (it booted fine this morning) Didn't have alot of time to play with it yet.
I also have a white Macbook and with a glossy screen. I fell in love with the glossy screen so I chose a glossy screen C2D. For some reason I don't feel that the C2D is as good of a quality screen then the Macbook... and I was begining to doubt whether it's really glossy (well, it says so on the box
Anyway, this is the only info I could find about the Graphics/Disply:
ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c5
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-158
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.158
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display:

Have a good one

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 11:12 AM

My MBP is currently under repair to hopefully replace the Matshita drive. It wouldn't accept certain discs and wouldn't burn any. My worry is that with my luck when the technician tests the drive it works fine--then getting my computer back unrepaired. I guess that's the nature of these things.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2006, 11:45 AM

The HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080MA is indeed a LG drive-actually, an Hitachi-LG drive to be specific (the "HL" means Hitachi/LG). It's a good drive and the same model as in my Core Duo MBP. On the other hand, the Matshita drives in MBPs (both versions) have been reported to be just plain poo; Zeeb's problems are only a few of them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by boazh View Post
It might sound stupid, but I really thought something is wrong with the drive because I was not used to the noise
Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has any comments to make about the two brands...
It's not your fault. I thought there was something wrong with my drive as well. I didn't realize it is a LG until now. It does have a loud clicking noise when I insert a cd into the drive and yet i chose to live with it because it can read all the cds that Matshita cannot.

But it is kinda funny. Mine is a CD, but not C2D.
we are all part of a masterplan.

ONG
Dec 1, 2006, 04:28 PM

for a laptop to have region designation is just stupid. it's PORTABLE. it should be region-free.

ONG
Dec 2, 2006, 04:42 AM

i just bought mine. Matshita... i hope it's ok. so far it's asking for me to set the region. so i'm assuming no way of getting around this?

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 04:50 AM

I believe even the LG ones have region code issues. It's just that the matshita drive that I used to have would not import "all" the tracks from some cds. You should check if this happens to you.
we are all part of a masterplan.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 06:38 PM

I got my computer back today. The repairs took far less than the 7-10 days so I was pleased about that. They replaced the Matshita with another Matshita-no LG for me. Oh well, it seems to be reading my discs now and I'm able to burn CD's again. I hope this one holds out. It would have cost $445.00 if it weren't under warranty. I think I'm getting Applecare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules