Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does iTMS support independent labels?

Does iTMS support independent labels?
snaggs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 09:58 PM

Is the iTunes store a monopoly for the big record companies or can smaller companies list their products on iTunes?

I for one listen to all sorts of music released on smaller labels from all over the world. It would make this music some much more accessible if it was sold via iTunes.

Daniel.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 10:09 PM

iTunes has lots of independent stuff. People who are on CD-Baby, for instance, are able to publish their CD's on iTunes also, without too much hassle. Individual smaller labels can sign on and get the same deal that the big labels get.

My brother-in-law has his kids' music CD on iTunes. Unfortunately, he's no longer the only iTunes hit when you search for "Boogers", but it's still the only Children's Genre song.

One problem that iTunes does have, though, is that the rights are normally negotiated on a country-by-country basis for all but the biggest acts. So, if you like obscure music from Finland which isn't big in your country, then it will be on the Finnish iTunes store, but not the one that you have.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 10:11 PM

About all the music I listen to is Indie. (Not many Christian labels are 100% owned by the big 4) and I can find probably about 70% of the artists I like.

snaggs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 11:10 PM

Thats good to hear. When we finally get it here in oz I will start spamming a few of the labels I like with the request to make it available.

Daniel.

Forum Links
Forum Rules