Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Extreme Airport Hell!!! PLEASE HElpppppp!

Extreme Airport Hell!!! PLEASE HElpppppp!
bsodmike
Jul 5, 2003, 08:40 AM

Hello all,

I've been experiencing some crazy 'apple hell' with the Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) and I have two. The reason is so that I can have roaming/WDS setup.

The problem started occuring after I got ADSL, and I got my self a D-link DSL-300G+ modem which is connected to the WAN port of the main AEBS. The LAN port is connected to the uplink port on my 8-port linksys switch via a Xover cable.

I have set the airport to get net info via DHCP and to supply the standard ip addresses with a lease of 4hrs (which is standard).

The problem is that after a couple our of intensive downloading (on my 512/128 ADSL link meaning a max of 64KB/s down and 16KB/s up....) the AEBS will crash/jam up such that I can even access it via Airport Admin Util of OS X. I had the latest firmware installed untill yesturday where I changed the firmware to 5.0.4 and now I notice longer 'crash free running time'.

I some how suspect the low quality ADSL modem to be the culprit, because when I was at Uni, I had this same AEBS plugged into the Uni net and it ran perfectly for months and months.

If any one can shed some light to this very annoying issue, please PLEASE reply. I am also hunting some Apple email addresses, cause it seems to me that Apple dont like offering technical support via email, but how else can I contact them as I live in Sri Lanka...

Thanks and Best Regards,

Michael de Silva

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2003, 10:38 AM

Here is my "Shot in the Dark" guess...The first thing I would try is to take the 8-port Linksys Hub out of the picture. Hook the DSL Modem up to the AEBS WAN port. Let the AEBS perform the Network Services instead of the LinkSys Hub. If you must keep the 8-Port Hub connected then use it connected to the LAN port but don't use the Uplink port on the Hub. Let the AEBS do all the work. My guess is the LinkSys Hub and the AEBS are trying to perform the same Network function and the Routing Tables are getting all screwed up.

Good Luck!

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 11:33 AM

Well, first of all, get rid of that crossover cable. All your cabling should be straight through. Then try increasing the lease time. Can you set it to never refresh/expire?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 12:23 PM

I like the ideas presented so far. Use a straight cable to connect the AEBS LAN port to a normal port on the LinkSys switch. The AEBS should distribute IP address to all of your wired and wireless machines just fine.

Chris

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 5, 2003, 01:16 PM

Hey there, thanks, I just plugged it into the 8th port (non uplink) with a straight through cable. I'm going to set a 5day DHCP lease now and see how it goes. At the moment I've disabled WDS.

Thanks for the help...much appreciated!!!

Mike

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 5, 2003, 01:36 PM

I have set a DHCP lease of 5days:

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 05 July 2003 23:27:19
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 July 2003 23:27:19

I have my second AEBS in roaming mode (DHCP off, and is plugged into the switch via the LAN port and it's getting an IP from the main one)

Thanks for all the help. I will report back with the results.

Regards, Mike

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by bsodmike:
I have my second AEBS in roaming mode (DHCP off, and is plugged into the switch via the LAN port and it's getting an IP from the main one)
Of course, you don't need to plug the 1st AEBS into the 2nd. Since AEBSes support wireless bridging, you just need to provide power to it and give it the same network name (and leave DHCP serving off on the 2nd unit).

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 5, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Of course, you don't need to plug the 1st AEBS into the 2nd. Since AEBSes support wireless bridging, you just need to provide power to it and give it the same network name (and leave DHCP serving off on the 2nd unit).
Yes, but you are reffering to WDS - hence bridging. I have got WDS off and now by plugging the second AEBS into the switch got 'roaming' working fine

Thanks tho your help is great!

Mike

I think this has fixed it. I think I'll stick to the 5.0.4 firmware till I need anything new. If it aint broke, why break it eh?

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 6, 2003, 01:15 AM

Just when I thought this is better, it finally crashes after 9hrs and 30mins, which is a new 'high'.

My only last guess is that the d-link is at fault? Maybe it's suddenly loosing the connection and messing up the airport?

Regards, Mike

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 10:58 AM

Why not try wireless bridging? And are you sure that is a switch and not just a hub?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2003, 02:52 PM

I once had problems like this with a Hawking switch. I replaced it with a Netgear switch and the problems went away. I think the LinkSys switch may be your problem.

Chris

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 7, 2003, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Why not try wireless bridging? And are you sure that is a switch and not just a hub?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...692630-5073249

Linksys EtherFast 8-Port 10/100 Desktop Switch EZXS88W

That is what I have.

At the moment, I got a passthrough cable connected to it, no xover cables and nothing in the uplink port.

I have roaming setup, and I got the main AEBS on chan 6 and the second on chan 1. This worked nicely when I shifted from one to the other, so smooth its amazing.

Now only to sort this out!

Today I changed the chan on the main one, rebooted it. 10:18 reboot, crash at 12:48 >

Mike

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 7, 2003, 03:18 AM

I just updated both AEBS to 5.1 again. I noticed a tiny difference. The MULTICASE RATE in 5.1 is set 1 as default, and 2 in 5.0.4 << what effect would this havE?

Mike

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 08:26 AM

There may be a setting on the LinSys switch to force it to only run at 10Mbps half-duplex. Try setting it to that and let it run for a while. I have had trouble with some networking switches in mixed 10/100 Mbps environments. If it works at 10, and you can live with that speed, you might be OK.

Chris

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 7, 2003, 01:36 PM

Nope there is no option for that. There is an option to drop the WAN port speed in v5.1

I tried isolating the switch and plugged this machine into the LAN port directly, and after about 1hr or so of useage it locked up.

So it's not that...my money is on the dlink OR crappy Apple router function.

Mike

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 8, 2003, 01:13 AM

Summary of EVERYTHING tried and current settings:

**NOTE
a)Remember I'm back at 5.1 cause 5.0.4 gave me the SAME problem as well.
b)All cat5 used are pass through.

APX1 - firmware 5.1 :
DHCP enabled as default, with a 5day lease, WEP off, WDS off for roaming, chan 6

APX2 - firmware 5.1:
DHCP distribution off, WEP off, WDS off for roaming, chan 1. This is connected to the switch for roaming.

-----------
LOG OF HELL
-----------
1. Tried playing with all the settings and downgraded both to 5.0.4. Same problem, after 3hrs/4hrs and a all time high of 9hrs30mins!!!

2. Removed the Xover cable from the LAN port to the UPLINK on the switch and now have a pass through to port 8 on the switch from the LAM.

3. Again back to 5.1 as 5.0.4 still crashed (even once so it does not make a difference)

4. Disconnected the switch and connected a single XP machine to the LAN port. AEBS crash after 1hr of use. This eliminates the switch being the issue.

5. Changed both from chan 11 (of both) to chan 1/6 and roaming is smooth. The transition from one to the other is totally invisible

Final untested option: Dedicated router for the wired ethernet and have the main apx1 as a bridge as well. This way none of the AEBS actually are routers, just bridges. Sad thing is I purchased one of them for this VERY specific reason.

Apple just say on the box the product is a crap router and I would have saved my self a lot of trouble!

Regards,

Michael
( Last edited by bsodmike; Jul 8, 2003 at 01:21 AM. )

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 02:32 AM

i downgraded my firmware, but still having problems...
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 8, 2003, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
i downgraded my firmware, but still having problems...
This is interesting.

For roaming or even the base station to even supply net access to wireless clients the DHCP server (inbuilt) has to be enabled. Wonder IF when it is in DUMB mode and I have a seperate DHCP/NAT server they will work hrm!

Mike

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 10:10 AM

Apple just say on the box the product is a crap router and I would have saved my self a lot of trouble!

Regards,

Michael
I disagree with that statement.

I've got an AEBS with a LinkSys 4 port hub and an HP 970 CSe Printer connected to it. Connected to the Hub I have a DSL Modem along with a PowerMac DP1.25 G4 which also shares its HP PSC 2210 Office Jet Printer, I also have a Windows XP 2200+ AMD box connected. Across the house I have another AEBS with WDS enabled. Connected to it I have a 4 port Hub, connected to that Hub I have a Sony Playstation 2 Network adapter and a Sony Tivo DVR. Also I have a 17inch Power Book and a Dual USB iBook that connect wirelessly to this network. Both my AEBS's have been on continuously for several months and have never crashed. My Main AEBS acts as the router and has performed flawlessly!

Keep troubleshooting you'll find the problem! Maybe you do have a faulty AEBS or maybe its actually something upstream of your DSL modem. Perhaps your ISP has taken steps to prevent your ability to share your connection? Your problem is unique, and will require a unique solution.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 10:50 AM

Do both AEBSes have the same SSID (network name)?

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 8, 2003, 11:07 AM

It could be the d-link modem. But then again I got 2x AEBSes and I've swapped em around and same issue..one is from the Uk and the other from Singapore....

Both have got the same identical network name.

This same AEBS worked fine for over 2months when connected at Uni....

Must be the d-link then?

It's the only el chepo component tooo...

Thanks, Mike
( Last edited by bsodmike; Jul 8, 2003 at 11:42 AM. )

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 8, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by JohnM15141:
I disagree with that statement.

I've got an AEBS with a LinkSys 4 port hub and an HP 970 CSe Printer connected to it. Connected to the Hub I have a DSL Modem along with a PowerMac DP1.25 G4 which also shares its HP PSC 2210 Office Jet Printer, I also have a Windows XP 2200+ AMD box connected. Across the house I have another AEBS with WDS enabled. Connected to it I have a 4 port Hub, connected to that Hub I have a Sony Playstation 2 Network adapter and a Sony Tivo DVR. Also I have a 17inch Power Book and a Dual USB iBook that connect wirelessly to this network. Both my AEBS's have been on continuously for several months and have never crashed. My Main AEBS acts as the router and has performed flawlessly!

Keep troubleshooting you'll find the problem! Maybe you do have a faulty AEBS or maybe its actually something upstream of your DSL modem. Perhaps your ISP has taken steps to prevent your ability to share your connection? Your problem is unique, and will require a unique solution.
Dear John,

a) Please give me the model numbers of your linksys 'hubs' or routers or whta not PLEASE.

b Please give me your exact toplogy if you dont mind. In full detail, the cabling etc etc!

c) I dont see how you can connected a DSL modem to a hub with out a router inbetween. You have not said its connected to the WAN port which is highly curious????

You got some serious hardware. Nice. I'm still in hell tho...

Mike
( Last edited by bsodmike; Jul 8, 2003 at 12:27 PM. )

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 01:09 PM

Mike,
I really don't think Apple's AEBSes have any inherent routing shortcomings. They are quite capable units.
That said, I can't figure out why you spent the extra money for them and are disabling the (arguably) ONLY feature that makes them worth the money: wireless bridging. I mean, if you're gonna run a cable between the two, then any old wireless router(s) would do. How far away are the bases? How are you running the cable? What port is the cable plugged into on the 2nd AEBS?
You may also want to try taking the modem out of the mix. Maybe mount shared volumes on every machine, when you won't be needing the internet (perhaps over night). Then see if it still crashes. I just don't see how another router is going to help you.

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 8, 2003, 01:45 PM

The only reason I got the second one roaming is cause its takes less settings to play with in the admin util. Later on I will have WDS active. Of course it's plugged into the LAN port of thje second AEBS from the switch.

Another router will help by bypassing the apple routering...which is not as good as most of the other dedicated routers out there, and I'll set them all as dumb bridges.

I've just disabled MAC address 'access' to see if this will change anything regarding stability.

Thanks, Mike

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 11:31 PM

Dear John,

a) Please give me the model numbers of your linksys 'hubs' or routers or whta not PLEASE.

b Please give me your exact toplogy if you dont mind. In full detail, the cabling etc etc!

c) I dont see how you can connected a DSL modem to a hub with out a router inbetween. You have not said its connected to the WAN port which is highly curious????

You got some serious hardware. Nice. I'm still in hell tho...

Mike
Just got home from work, it'll take a little time to gather the info you asked for. How about tomorrow?

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 9, 2003, 01:21 AM

No probs. I really dont see this working anyways. Looks like if no wired machines are connected its much happier. That said the ADSL modem runs VERY hot, close to 45degC.

I'll wait for some more info from you. Thanks John!

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2003, 08:48 AM

One thing to note, my Setup is completely different then yours so it may be of interest but probably won't help you find a solution.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bsodmike:
[B]
I'm using a LinkSys EtherFast 5 Port 10/100 Auto Sensing Workgroup Hub Model Number EFAHO5w on my Main AEBS and on my Remote AEBS(Which I purchased as a Refurbished AEBS) I am using a SOHO Auto-Sense 10/100 5-PORT Hub Model Number NDH305/A(This one is old and only 3 ports work, perfect for a PS 2, and a TIVO.)

b) Please give me your exact toplogy if you dont mind. In full detail, the cabling etc etc!
On my Main AEBS I have one 10 Ft Cat 5 Cable connected to the LAN Port and the LinkSys Hub. I also have a 10 Ft. USB Cable connected to the USB port and a HP 970 CSe Printer. The WAN port is not used.

Connected to the LinkSys Hub via Cat 5 Cables in addition to the AEBS are My PowerMac, WinXP PC, My DSL Modem, and one spare Cable for guests. The Power Mac has a HP PSC2210 connected by USB Cable to the PowerMac.

My Remote AEBS is connected to the SOHO Hub from the LAN port. The WAN Port is not used. Connected to the Hub is a Sony Playstation 2 using a Sony PS2 Network Adapter. The Sony TIVO unit is connected to the Hub using a LinkSys 10/100 USB Network Adapter.

My DSL Modem has router functions, so in my Setup The DSL Modem performs DHCP functions for every "wired" connection. While my Main AEBS perfoms DHCP functions to all my Wireless devices. It see's the DSL Modem as just another Device on the LAN and routes internet service request to it(it is the Router Address in the AEBS Configuration/Internet.)

The advantage of my setup is I don't need a firewall because my DSL Modem is a router and Hackers can't ping any device behind my DSL Modem, it is sort of a Hardware Firewall. The disadvantage is when I want to play online games against another computer I have to open a port directly to the Computer I'm using which prevents any other computer from using the Internet until I close the port and reenable router functions.

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 9, 2003, 09:52 AM

HAHAH I am right.

Need I say more? You got a seperate router for wired clients. Yes. I am pretty much sure this is where my AEBS is going wrong. When my new ADSL modem (with router) arrives I will set it up in the same fashion:

ADSL modem-router > switch > lan port on Main AEBS >WDS to second AEBS.

This way it should work fine. This is also what I had setup at Uni, as in the AEBS was getting net access from the uni routers and was a router for wireless devices

Thanks John, great help

Mike

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 9, 2003, 10:20 AM

Hrm, just enabled WDS and got both on chan 6

Mike
( Last edited by bsodmike; Jul 9, 2003 at 10:44 AM. )

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 11:54 AM

HAHAH I am right.

Need I say more? You got a seperate router for wired clients. Yes. I am pretty much sure this is where my AEBS is going wrong. When my new ADSL modem (with router) arrives I will set it up in the same fashion:

ADSL modem-router > switch > lan port on Main AEBS >WDS to second AEBS.
So, your whole premise is that the AEBS is not capable enough to route your internet traffic? Personally, I think that's crazy-talk. Unless you've got a bad AEBS, in which case you'd be best off figuring that out sooner than later. The other reason this new setup may work is because the old modem was shot and bringing down your LAN.
Personally, I don't like those combination modem/router units. Especially when they're not even eliminating any hardware. Now I'm not saying that the AEBS is the best router that money can buy, but I'd doubt that one of these combo (Swiss army knife-like) units would be any better. Further, the setup you're trying to achieve (as far as I can tell so far) is a fairly straight forward, garden variety home LAN. Certainly within the capabilities of the AEBS.
Anyway, good luck with the new stuff. Post back any results.

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 9, 2003, 01:55 PM

Sure. Well from what I can see the onlyitem I have yet to eliminate is the ADSL modem. Also about all the people I know that have no problems with their AEBSes have some form of 'other' router in their network be it a modem/router or dedicated router, and they all have their AEBSes either as bridges or routers for the wireless network (as in the case of John).

Also I have two AEBSes and they BOTH have the same problem WHEN connected to the ADSL modem. The WDS AEBS never crashes...why?!?

Also one is from the UK and the other (newer by 2months) from Singapore and there is no way they are both defective (given that the older UK one performed fine as a router for the wired network for over 3months without any issues).

Today I have run a test. I have nothing connected in the LAN port and I have it connected to the ADSL modem via the WAN port. WDS is active and its been running stable for quite some time. I will confirm if it was active through out the whole night tomorrow (a.k.a responsive tomorrow morning). If this is the case it confirms that the AEBS does not like being a DHCP/NAT server for the wired ethernet, but is happy with the wireless (no doubt).

However this may all sound BS, at the moment its the best BS I can think of heh. I will just keep an eye on this thread after tomorrow but respond back after the new swiss-army knife arrives, and give you a progress report....

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Mike

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 10, 2003, 01:07 AM

A couple more questions for you John. DHCP is enabled on the dsl modem, and on the aebs (under network tab).

If this is so, how come the AEBS and DSL modem dont argue for DHCP priority....

Also for me to enter anything in the 'router address' I must choose MANUAL rather than DHCP in the internet tab. Let me know how you got it chosen please.

My understanding is that when I get the my DSL router, I set my main AEBS to DHCP off, and let the router pass the ip addressing through the main aebs.

Please correct me where I'm wrong. Thanks. Worst case scenario see if you could send me some screenshots of the AAU (pls blank out the MAC addresses if your worried) but this is taking it one step too far I think heh... (email: [email protected])

UPDATE: When trying to post this I could not, as the AEBS had just crashed. I only restarted it 40mins a go. Curiously, I asked my Mom if the Microwave on this floor had been used, and they say around 5mins ago...ideas?

Mike

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 10, 2003, 09:14 AM

As I was bored to death today I decided to plonk the AEBS with the antenna as the WDS one and swap 'em around. After the first restart of each the AEBS connected to the modem / switch crashed in 40mins, and this was about 5mins to noon. My next crash was 12mins ago (at 7pm). I did not expect any thing to happen but the 7hr crash is still annoying. Will post back any new info on this issue.

Mike

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2003, 11:58 AM

I have my Main AEBS set on the Internet Tab to Connect Using Ethernet, and Configure set to using Using DHCP.

The DSL Modem passed it's router address to the AEBS. The key to the puzzle here is that I configured the DSL Modem Manually and assigned the addresses for my WinXP PC, PowerMac, and AirPort.(actually I assigned the DSL Modem an address, and a range of addresses to distribute over the Ethernet.

By the way, I'm curious, what is it that happens when yur AEBS Crashes? Does it lock up, freeze, or turns off?

A couple more questions for you John.
DHCP is enabled on the dsl modem, and on the aebs (under network tab).

If this is so, how come the AEBS and DSL modem dont argue for DHCP priority....

Also for me to enter anything in the 'router address' I must choose MANUAL rather than DHCP in the internet tab. Let me know how you got it chosen please.

My understanding is that when I get the my DSL router, I set my main AEBS to DHCP off, and let the router pass the ip addressing through the main aebs.

Please correct me where I'm wrong. Thanks. Worst case scenario see if you could send me some screenshots of the AAU (pls blank out the MAC addresses if your worried) but this is taking it one step too far I think heh... (email: [email protected])

UPDATE: When trying to post this I could not, as the AEBS had just crashed. I only restarted it 40mins a go. Curiously, I asked my Mom if the Microwave on this floor had been used, and they say around 5mins ago...ideas?

Mike

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 10, 2003, 12:22 PM

What I mean by crash is a lock up. I'll remember to say.. it locked up heh. Sometimes the ethenet light blinks, but when its dead dead it only has the power led on the other to totally off.

I've just been looking up information on the router I have purchased, and ohh boy...from what I can see it might keep me a tad busy, maybe not. The company SpeedTouch have included backdoor access to the routers so 'they can help' clients, and some other dodgy features.

Luckily these guys know what to do:
http://www.sdharris.com/speedtouch51...opic.php?t=329

I'm actually looking forward to the new router as I'm pretty sure this is will sort out my problems. Basically I want the wired ethernet to have a 100% uptime, and this is cause I only have one wireless machine...and I can sort the airports out no problem. Will report back next week.

Thanks John, I'll keep an eye for any response from you.

Best Regards, Mike

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 01:07 PM

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think your reasoning is flawed in this matter. Your conclusions don't seem to be borne out by the trouble-shooting. I don't know why you don't trust the AEBS, but they are completely capable units for NAT and DHCP serving to wired and wireless clients (unless one is faulty, of course). Have you yet tried taking the modem off the LAN to see if you get crashes? My home LAN rarely goes down, but when it does, 99% of the time it is because the modem froze or my ISP's network went wonky (causing, again, modem issues). Additionally, if one of the AEBSes id bad, it could be bringing down the other. You may also want to try eliminating one AEBS at a time to try and isolate the problem.
That modem/router you're waiting for sounds funky to me. Why would they need a backdoor, unless the things are known to be difficult/unreliable? There must be some issue, as I've never heard of this "feature" on a router before. Not to mention that the whole point of a router is to secure your LAN from intruders. A backdoor would substantially reduce the security of this unit.
There are also other router features to consider that make or break these home LANs. One that comes to mind is wake-from-sleep-reconnection. This seems dicey even for the best routers out there. 128 WEP is another. MAC address filtering/cloning, port forwarding and SSID masking are others. Does this router do all these things? With the exception of SSID masking, the AEBS does.
Basically, I don't think you've successfully ID'ed the problem there. And until you do, there will always be the chance of it resurfacing again.

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 10, 2003, 04:35 PM

Thanks for all your help norton. Let me put it this way. Without the modem these never crash, but the whole point here is to get me wireless internet / access to my wired machines when I need it. I totally understand what your saying.

Regarding the 'funky' router. It's a 'feature' that Thompson have added without telling their customers. Luckily for me I stumbled across that thread and if you go through it you can see those guys (amazing chaps really) have figured how to remove the backdoor, and even block the hidden tftp server. Of course their backdoor only works on routers that have not been password set, and I'm sure you know howmany consumers forget to pass lock base stations (linksys owners anyone? heh).

The good thing is that the new router is also a modem, so I will remove my current el crap D-Link (never liked this company, always gave me hell with their NICs ...I only got it cause of Apple saying its a good modem bah!) and use the SpeedTouch. I'm at least 95% sure that this will sort out my issues.

It took me 2 weeks in Sri Lanka to get ADSL setup (all the darn paperwork) and my basestation ran perfectly without the adsl modem plugged in. After ADSL arrived its been dodgy. I am not blaming the AEBS until I can isolate the modem, which is the only item that has yet to be eliminated, and yes I've seen AEBS working as routers nicely at AppleCenters in Singapore and around the world and I doubt them having a dedicated router as well (still possible but the chances are low).

Also the Speedtouch is an entirely wired network solution only, so I will be depending on my AEBS for the wireless access. Both AEBS are working perfectly. The UK based one was used off a Uni connected for over 3 months stable. The Singapore one is also stable when not connected to the ADSL modem.

Only time will tell, but I think we know the culprit here. At the moment I got WEP off. My house is so big and walls are so thick the signal cant go outside. I also dont mine someone stealing wireless as I got MAC address filtering...but these are jobs for the AEBS not for the main router/modem.

Regards and thanks again. Mike

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 08:42 AM

i have one of these alcatel speedtouch home dsl modems, are they really insecure?? i have it connected to me aebs
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 11, 2003, 01:36 PM

http://www.sdharris.com/speedtouch51...opic.php?t=329

Go there and edit your ini file accordingly. Then you will be fine. However they need the Modem/router password to access it. Longer the better too

Mike

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 13, 2003, 03:28 AM

I have isolated everything now and have the modem directly connected to the NIC of this machine.

I have noticed several disconnects and last night a totall cut off from 4am till 11am today, where I had to come back and manually reconnect. However, I did not have to re-power the modem. Maybe these sporadic disconnects were 'annoing the base station', specially as I had DHCP Client set to 192.168.0.1, and it would have been LOOKING for this and not been able to find it (seems that when it gets cut off it sends a different ip to the WAN port and when its connected it send the ip from the isp to the WAN port.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 11:53 AM

I have isolated everything now and have the modem directly connected to the NIC of this machine.

I have noticed several disconnects and last night a totall cut off from 4am till 11am today, where I had to come back and manually reconnect. However, I did not have to re-power the modem. Maybe these sporadic disconnects were 'annoing the base station', specially as I had DHCP Client set to 192.168.0.1, and it would have been LOOKING for this and not been able to find it (seems that when it gets cut off it sends a different ip to the WAN port and when its connected it send the ip from the isp to the WAN port.
Modem freezes can play havoc on a LAN. As I mentioned earlier, this accounts for nearly ALL my LAN problems. Even when it looks like a router problem, it usually is a modem/ISP problem.

I don't understand what you mean by "...I had DHCP Client set to 192.168.0.1, and it would have been LOOKING for this and not been able to find it (seems that when it gets cut off it sends a different ip to the WAN port and when its connected it send the ip from the isp to the WAN port.". Are you specifying a static IP or getting one from your ISP via DHCP? You can't "set" a DHCP client's IP. This would make it a static client and would/should not have anything to do with the DHCP pool.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 01:36 PM

i got my modem from bellsouth, i have no idea what the paswords is for my modem, is it the same as my bellsouth account password?

the insecurity in in american (us ) models, too

i have no cd roms or anything w/ my modem to use with it

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 01:37 PM

i have my firewall up in osx, wud that help against breakins?

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 14, 2003, 02:17 PM

the password is the modem serial no.

No. set it up and you will be fine.

Mike

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2003, 04:48 PM

how do i set up my dsl modem then, i'm a rookiw so i don't know how, i don't now of any ini file to set up

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 16, 2003, 03:13 AM

All my problems are over. The AEBS is running fine. I got a new router/modem plugged into the WAN of my AEBS and the AEBS to the switch. Damn Dlink is all I can say!

Mike

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 12:22 PM

while we're talking bout airport issues, it seems that everytime i run mlmac for a while the internet drops off, but shows as still on, any ideas?

bsodmike  (op)
Jul 19, 2003, 10:11 PM

that I believe is an issue with v5.1 However I have been running both my AEBSed (@ 5.1) for over one week and no restarts applied and its SWEEEEET!

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules