Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBooks

FS: AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBooks
chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 02:12 AM

I'm selling an unregistered AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBooks.

Regularly $349.

$250 OBO

email me at timmy [at] chipchen [dot] com

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2004, 05:10 AM

anyone?

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 06:04 AM

bump

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2004, 05:29 PM

will this Apple Care plan work in Canada, or is it only valid in the US?

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 06:23 PM

AppleCare for PowerBooks... and ONLY for PowerBooks are GLOBAL... while it is recommended that you purchase AppleCare in your home country by Apple, it is indeed a global plan for PowerBooks (not for PowerMacs, iMacs, eMacs, or iBooks).

The one I'm selling is (US) version and I believe, must be registered in the US. But, I'm not 100% sure. You'll have to call AppleCare to be sure.

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 06:36 PM

correction:

The AppleCare purchased in US or Canada is Valid for US and Canada. I'm still unsure about other foreign countries...

bsodmike
Jun 9, 2004, 11:08 AM

Hey there!

I believe that AppleCare purchased anywhere is a global cover. I'm like 99% sure - it has to be....

Example: A powerbook owner flys from say UK to USA and finds his AP is comming to an end (The free 1year) and buys a new cover, now this entitles him to full cover globally.

Btw, I'm very very interested. Can you take pics of the box/ stuff inside, so I'm sure that what you are selling is obviously what you have stated

Regards,

Mike

bsodmike
Jun 9, 2004, 11:34 AM

Please look @ this:

Apple Care Fact Sheet

It says that all powerbooks are covered globally. The item you are selling - is it M8853LL/A ??

Please get back to me asap.

Mike

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 04:59 PM

M8853LL/A

I don't have my digital camera on me... but I wouldn't want to open it anyway... cause that's where the registration code is. but the box basically contains a registration card, and a techtools cd.

lemme know if you're still interested. email me.

bsodmike
Jun 10, 2004, 08:49 AM

Ahh no. I didn't want you to open it...sorry! I wouldn't mind an image of the full box (showing visible shrink wrap!)???

This is no small amount, $250.00. I'm not implying anything but it is easy to get shafted and an image would make me feel a lot better. Do you accept PayPal? How much will shipping be to Colombo, Sri Lanka?

When did you purchase this originally? To what address must I post the form on the inside? I will be purchasing the powerbook in the UK, and will probably want to post the applecare info to Apple UK....

Regards,

Mike

bsodmike
Jun 10, 2004, 09:01 AM

Couple things to sort out:

a) Why are you selling this, and when did you buy it?

b) I would need images - at least about 4 - 5 to convince me that this is *real*. Wouldn't want to find the plan is not valid.

c) I would also be alot more comfortable if you were to list this on eBay either as a 'Buy It Now' item (for $250 + shipping) or an Auction, with a starting Buy It Now option. I currently hold a 15 Star 100% rating on eBay. This way I am protected to a certain extent.

I've spoken to quite a few people and they have all said it's better to get this directly from an apple store, and I'm sure you understand why I am a little hesitant about this.

Mike

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 04:11 PM

here's the thing... I could do everything you ask for... but I thought you were in the United States. I know for a fact that AppleCare is global, but I also know that they recommend you purchase it in the country you purchase your computer. So, I just don't want you to get screwed by AppleCare.... just in case.

but if you're convinced it's ok... I have 25+ 100% feedback on ebay under timmychen and I'm also PayPal Verified. And each PayPal purchase is also protected from fraud.

I took one picture. follow the link. it's a LARGE image... but if you look closely, you can see this message being typed. in addition, you'll notice it's hosted on the same domain as my email address (my domain) and I've also put your username as the directory it's under. that's pretty clear proof in my opinion.

http://www.chipchen.com/bsodmike/applecare.jpg

why am I selling it? my school had a promotion in sept 2003 when I bought my powerbook that if I bought applecare and an ipod also, I got a $200 rebate for the ipod. i never registered the applecare because I ALWAYS change powerbooks within a year, so no reason for me to keep an unregistered applecare.

but again, even though I'd be happy to take your money and ship to sri lanka, I recommend you purchase applecare in the same country you buy your powerbook.

lemme know what you think...

sghms
Jun 10, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by chipchen:
here's the thing... I could do everything you ask for... but I thought you were in the United States. I know for a fact that AppleCare is global, but I also know that they recommend you purchase it in the country you purchase your computer. So, I just don't want you to get screwed by AppleCare.... just in case.

but if you're convinced it's ok... I have 25+ 100% feedback on ebay under timmychen and I'm also PayPal Verified. And each PayPal purchase is also protected from fraud.

I took one picture. follow the link. it's a LARGE image... but if you look closely, you can see this message being typed. in addition, you'll notice it's hosted on the same domain as my email address (my domain) and I've also put your username as the directory it's under. that's pretty clear proof in my opinion.

http://www.chipchen.com/bsodmike/applecare.jpg

why am I selling it? my school had a promotion in sept 2003 when I bought my powerbook that if I bought applecare and an ipod also, I got a $200 rebate for the ipod. i never registered the applecare because I ALWAYS change powerbooks within a year, so no reason for me to keep an unregistered applecare.

but again, even though I'd be happy to take your money and ship to sri lanka, I recommend you purchase applecare in the same country you buy your powerbook.

lemme know what you think...

I would be interested if bsodmike decides against buying. I have a couple of questions however.

1) I have had my powerbook for just over a year now. Can I still use the policy if I bought it.

2) Does it cover a 17" PB

I am in the UK and will contact Apple (UK) tomorrow to see if the policy would be accepted here.
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 04:49 PM

unfortunately, applecare can only be registered if the powerbook is less than one year old. at this point, I would recommend you find an insurance plan to cover your powerbook. one popular one is safeware insurance.... however I'm not sure if they're US only or not.

sghms
Jun 10, 2004, 05:06 PM

ok cheers for the advice. Will look into some home insurance of some sort
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

Forum Links
Forum Rules